What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padraig

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 15, 2022, 06:16:59 PM
Quote from: Padraig on June 15, 2022, 04:11:23 PMIf I ever get my copy back from the current borrower, I'll lend you mine if you're unable to secure a copy.

Thanks, I'll see how it goes.  I don't have too many books lined up for purchase, but the ones on my list are expensive.  Next up is The Magic of My Youth, by Arthur Calder-Marshall.  Good quality hardcover: 269.99 USD.  Maybe I'll win the lottery.
Whew! I thought my wish-listed book, Iain Gilchrist's two volume The Matter with Things, for $148 was steep!

TulitAutemAgnum

Crucified Rabbi by Taylor Marshall

Mono no aware

Quote from: Padraig on June 15, 2022, 07:32:27 PMWhew! I thought my wish-listed book, Iain Gilchrist's two volume The Matter with Things, for $148 was steep!

And that book clocks in at 1500 pages, so you're paying a dollar a page, which is normally steep, but depending on how much you like the writer and his insights, it could be a value.  I just checked outside of Amazon on mine, and I'm glad I did, because the independent sellers there often price-gouge, and it looks like Abe Books has good quality paperback versions at much more reasonable prices.

ETA: wait, I think it would be a dime a page, not a dollar.  So that's almost a steal.

ETA again: Or is it ten dollars a page?  Why can't I do this math?

Padraig

:lol: Yes, a dime per page. That's a pretty good value when you frame it like that

Bernadette

David Copperfield. For the hundredth time. :)
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

FaithByProxy

Nonfiction: Teaching from Rest, A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakable Peace by Sarah Mackenzie

Fiction: Drums Along the Mohawk by Walter D. Edmonds
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.

Bernadette

Roots, by Alex Haley. Kindle $1.99.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Blood Meridian or The Evening Redness In The West by Cormac McCarthy. I don't care for most modern fiction but McCarthy is outstanding.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

red solo cup

The Storm Before The Storm. The Beginning Of The End Of The Roman Republic by Mike Duncan

Elizabeth

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on June 20, 2022, 06:35:43 AM
Just started Lonesome Dove
I read that maybe over 40 years ago, but I recall that I wept because it was over.  My dad used to love chatting with McMurtry at his little bookshop in Georgetown, ages ago.   :coffee:

Bernadette

Dem Days Was Hell: Slave Narratives collected by the Federal Writers' Project. The entire 31 volume series is .99, couldn't pass it up.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Clouds of Glory. The Life and Legend of Robert E. Lee by Michael Korda

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jmartyr

Outside The Church There Is Positively No Salvation by Father Michael Mueller CSSR. Great read. From the late 1800's. Shows, once again, how Lefebvre was so consistent in doctrine, especially religious liberty.
"If anyone is excommunicated it is not I, but the excommunicators." - Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre
" A false church cannot have a true mission." - St. Francis De Sales
" The way is open for us to deprive councils of their authority, contradict their acts freely, and profess confidently, whatever SEEMS to be true. " - Martin Luther