Hello there

Started by PaxVobiscum, June 09, 2022, 02:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaxVobiscum

Hello, new member here. I'd prefer not to give a lot of personal details, I'll say I'm a twenty-something-year-old man from the southeast USA, converted to Catholicism a few years ago. I don't know if I could be considered a 'traditionalist'. I don't hold any 'outsider' views like sedevacantism or sedeprivationism. But some Catholics will call me a traditionalist because I believe in everything the Church teaches. Some will call me a traditionalist because I think there are fundamental issues with the novus ordo. But some will say I am not a traditionalist because I do not attend the TLM exclusively. Some will say I am not a traditionalist because I accept Francis as a legitimate pope  :D so I guess it's up to you, being an orthodox Catholic is good enough for me.

I hope that I would be able to discuss things here without getting dogpiled for having an opinion that differs from the community consensus (if there is one). I've spent enough time in online Catholic communities where everyone takes the personal opinions of the leader as absolute truth and anyone who disagrees gets dogpiled, and I'm done with that. So hopefully this place isn't like that.

Lynne

Welcome! I hope you enjoy it here. It has its good days and its bad days.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Melkor

Welcome! I have a biased (and based) hatred towards the NO, but I don't look down on people who go to it in sincerity. It's a messed up situation, and there are no clear answers. The sheep have been left to fend for themselves. We're around the same age, what are your interests and hobbies?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

mikemac

Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

PaxVobiscum

Quote from: Melkor on June 09, 2022, 05:42:43 PM
Welcome! I have a biased (and based) hatred towards the NO, but I don't look down on people who go to it in sincerity. It's a messed up situation, and there are no clear answers. The sheep have been left to fend for themselves. We're around the same age, what are your interests and hobbies?

I'm not a very interesting person, I used to work in a metal shop so I guess I have some interest in welding and building stuff, I like music and nature, and poetry and literature.

Michael Wilson

P.V.
Welcome to the forum! If you like to discuss Catholicism, then you have found the right place. You will be "dogpiled" for whatever view you take on the present Pope or practically any issue; but that is part of the trad forum experience. There is no "group-think" on this issue and on others; you can take a look at the "Russia invades the Ukraine" thread here: https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=27620.0
To see that we can be quite at odds with each other.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

The Curt Jester

The nice thing about a forum is that there is no reason to stick around and engage in a thread that becomes a dog-pile.  State your opinion, engage a bit if you want, leave when it's not fun anymore and start a new discussion.  Let the crows stick around for the decaying remains of old threads.

Oh.

And welcome!
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Jayne

Quote from: PaxVobiscum on June 09, 2022, 02:54:00 PM
I hope that I would be able to discuss things here without getting dogpiled for having an opinion that differs from the community consensus (if there is one). I've spent enough time in online Catholic communities where everyone takes the personal opinions of the leader as absolute truth and anyone who disagrees gets dogpiled, and I'm done with that. So hopefully this place isn't like that.

There are a few issues like that here.  If you defend wearing masks, getting vaccinated, or any other public health guideline for Covid, you can expect to be dog-piled.  Even saying that these issues have nothing to do with Catholicism and we should be free to reach our own conclusions is likely to get that sort of reaction. 

This has been the major cause of pile-ons recently, but it is always part of the forum dynamics.  I don't know that you will find a forum that does not work that way.  This is just how people are.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Melkor

Quote from: Jayne on June 12, 2022, 08:34:35 AM

If you defend wearing masks

There's a few idiots around here, unfortunately. But who in their right mind defends  masking?

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Jayne

Quote from: Melkor on June 12, 2022, 12:37:11 PM

There's a few idiots around here, unfortunately. But who in their right mind defends  masking?

A few of us (including myself) considered obeying rules about masks to fall under the general  Catholic duty of obeying secular authorities.  I am in my right mind.

Did you want to give PV a demonstration of dogpiling?  :D
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Melkor

Quote from: Jayne on June 12, 2022, 03:29:20 PM

A few of us (including myself) considered obeying rules about masks to fall under the general  Catholic duty of obeying secular authorities.  I am in my right mind.

Firstly, masks don't do anything to stop the spread of any virus. So it's a dumb law. Secondly, the seriousness of the virus doesn't dictate mask mandates. So I believe that it's an unjust law. And thirdly, wearing a mask restricts oxygen flow, which is unhealthy for extended periods of time. Don't really want to hijack OP's thread, but I did anyways 😁.

Heinrich

Quote from: Melkor on June 13, 2022, 07:55:16 AM
Quote from: Jayne on June 12, 2022, 03:29:20 PM

Firstly, masks don't do anything to stop the spread of any virus. So it's a dumb law. Secondly, the seriousness of the virus doesn't dictate mask mandates. So I believe that it's an unjust law. And thirdly, wearing a mask restricts oxygen flow, which is unhealthy for extended periods of time. Don't really want to hijack OP's thread, but I did anyways 😁.

You didn't, Jayne did.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Kaesekopf

Hello, new member here. I'd prefer not to give a lot of personal details, I'll say I'm a twenty-something-year-old man from the southeast USA, converted to Catholicism a few years ago. I don't know if I could be considered a 'traditionalist'. I don't hold any 'outsider' views like sedevacantism or sedeprivationism. But some Catholics will call me a traditionalist because I believe in everything the Church teaches. Some will call me a traditionalist because I think there are fundamental issues with the novus ordo. But some will say I am not a traditionalist because I do not attend the TLM exclusively. Some will say I am not a traditionalist because I accept Francis as a legitimate pope  :D so I guess it's up to you, being an orthodox Catholic is good enough for me.

Welcome, PaxVobiscum!

You should attend the TLM exclusively!  :P  But, if you're in the SE, then you probably don't have a reliable TLM nearby.  Shame.

I think everyone here hates my opinions.  :lol:  But, the nice thing about being online is you can just walk away from the dogpiles.  :lol: 

Really, if you stay away from COVID or politics related threads, you'll be fine.  :lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.