My Facebook account was hacked.

Started by Deirdre, March 05, 2022, 01:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deirdre

I've changed my password and made a new account. Is there anything else I need to do?
My Lord and my God.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Bernadette on March 05, 2022, 01:00:28 PM
I?ve changed my password and made a new account. Is there anything else I need to do?

Remove all personal information and close and delete everything and never use Facebook. But if you must...

I'd advise doing whatever Facebook advises on that. But keep in mind that it was highly unlikely to be a "hack". Facebook is a surveillance for profit platform. The most likely way to have one's account compromised is to have a poor password or have one's data in a leak somewhere. This is the low hanging fruit of the Internet security world.

So, do not reuse passwords, use passwords that are difficult for computers to guess, and be sure to have control over the devices you use. Most people do not do that and are the ones most likely to suffer "hacks". Of course, if one was specifically targeted, that is another story, but that is not how it usually happens, and when it does, it is by those who somehow gain access to one's credentials more directly.

Melkor

I've changed my password and made a new account. Is there anything else I need to do?

Get off FB, it's garbage. I'm so glad I never joined any social media like FB, Twitter and Instagram. And I never will.

And yes, Paenito, I'm aware this forum is a form of social media.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Jacob

Describe the symptoms?

I have found people aren't actually hacked.  Someone simply sets up a parallel account using public info and pictures and sends friend requests to your friends to gain access to them.  The perp doesn't actually do anything to your account.

If this is the case, just make everything friends only.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Deirdre

My Lord and my God.