St. Andrew Christmas Novena

Started by Vox Clara, November 29, 2022, 09:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vox Clara

This novena begins on the feast of St. Andrew, which is tomorrow November 30, and continues until Christmas.

From ChristmasNovena.com:

The Saint Andrew Christmas Novena prayer, also known simply as the Christmas Novena, gets its name from the prayer beginning on the feast of Saint Andrew (November 30) and concluding on Christmas.  It is believed to be over 100 years old, and is traditionally prayed 15 times every day, though not necessarily all at once.  It may be broken up to be prayed throughout the day, such as five prayers in the morning, afternoon, and evening.

It is a simple and beautiful Advent prayer of preparation and petition by opening our hearts to both seek and to receive the Christ Child, and the salvation He brings on that cold, silent night, while asking God, with humble confidence, to grant our deepest longings.

The prayer itself is directed toward God (not Saint Andrew) and zeros in on that sacred moment when Christ, through His Blessed Mother, entered human history, and we were forever changed.  The Word became Flesh and dwelt among us!  During the ever increasing noise and distractions of the Advent season, let this prayer help keep our minds and hearts fixed on Jesus, so as to be more ready to receive Him on Christmas Day, and when He comes again.

Vox Clara

This novena begins today November 30.

Hail and blessed be the hour and moment
In which the Son of God was born
Of the most pure Virgin Mary,
at midnight, in Bethlehem,
in the piercing cold.
In that hour vouchsafe, I beseech Thee,
  O my God,
to hear my prayer and grant my desires,
[hear mention your request]
through the merits of Our Saviour Jesus Christ,
and of His Blessed Mother. Amen.

If you're praying this novena, you might want to copy or bookmark it. I don't really want to bump this thread every day from now until Christmas, and I don't think anyone else wants me to either.  :D

Melkor

Hey finally I'm reading this in time to actually say it! ;D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

drummerboy

I made a string of 15 beads I can pull down to keep count, with a medal of the Infant of Prague on the end.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Christina_S

Quote from: drummerboy on November 30, 2022, 12:13:42 PM
I made a string of 15 beads I can pull down to keep count, with a medal of the Infant of Prague on the end.
See, this has always been my problem! I'm a musician, and any counting past 4 is beyond my skills  ;D I've got beads and I've got string though, so this year we're gonna make it happen!
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Lynne

Quote from: drummerboy on November 30, 2022, 12:13:42 PM

I've got one of those too!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Vox Clara

Y'all are so fancy! I just use my fingers.  :D

Lynne

Quote from: Vox Clara on November 30, 2022, 04:37:55 PM

:)

I typically like to do 5 repetitions at a time so I like to know where I am in the 15 (and my memory is awful!!!).
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Vox Clara

Quote from: Lynne on December 01, 2022, 04:23:11 AM
Quote from: Vox Clara on November 30, 2022, 04:37:55 PM

:)

I typically like to do 5 repetitions at a time so I like to know where I am in the 15 (and my memory is awful!!!).

I also do 5 at a time, in the morning, afternoon, and evening.