Interesting Thought(s) from the Day

Started by Philip G., September 27, 2021, 09:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melkor

I was thinking the other day about the state of the world today. People are so soft, addicted to to their screens, junk food, unnatural vices, and whatnot. It's really disgusting. Anyhow, I wondered what would be the best period of time to live in to combat this disgusting modernity. I didn't really hit an answer, despite the fact that I always wanted to be a Viking, or to see the great Gothic cathedrals being built, or to meet St. Francis of Assisi. And then I wondered; could we go back in time to an era of our choice and survive? Would our mind break? Are we so used to our modern comforts that we couldn't, physically and mentally, go back? I know I would probably die in a week.  ;D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: Melkor on December 15, 2021, 11:32:28 AM
Anyhow, I wondered what would be the best period of time to live in to combat this disgusting modernity.

France under Louis IX.
this page left intentionally blank

Melkor

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on December 15, 2021, 11:35:14 AM
Anyhow, I wondered what would be the best period of time to live in to combat this disgusting modernity.

France under Louis IX.

Good one. I was thinking about post civil war South as well.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Philip G.

I was thinking the other day about the state of the world today. People are so soft, addicted to to their screens, junk food, unnatural vices, and whatnot. It's really disgusting. Anyhow, I wondered what would be the best period of time to live in to combat this disgusting modernity. I didn't really hit an answer, despite the fact that I always wanted to be a Viking, or to see the great Gothic cathedrals being built, or to meet St. Francis of Assisi. And then I wondered; could we go back in time to an era of our choice and survive? Would our mind break? Are we so used to our modern comforts that we couldn't, physically and mentally, go back? I know I would probably die in a week.  ;D

Weren't you the one who said something along the lines of "I am a simple man, I no think about the morality of hunting; when I hungry, I kill."  That sentiment fundamentally is no different from one who hits McDonalds when his stomach growls.   You are both letting your carnal passions rule you. The same can be said for any and all activities we participate in.  Scripture says we will render an account for every idle word.   
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Melkor

Well I'm sorry, but food is one of the most important things for survival, alongside shelter and water. There's nothing wrong with killing for food, even if it is only plants you kill. The drive for steady food has built all societies, because no society can exist without it. And the best civilizations were the ones with the best food supply, the farmers who raised crops and animals.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: Philip G. on December 15, 2021, 12:39:36 PM
Weren't you the one who said something along the lines of "I am a simple man, I no think about the morality of hunting; when I hungry, I kill."  That sentiment fundamentally is no different from one who hits McDonalds when his stomach growls.   You are both letting your carnal passions rule you. The same can be said for any and all activities we participate in.  Scripture says we will render an account for every idle word.   

This is so confused, theologically, that there's nothing to argue with.

Eating when hungry is not "letting your carnal passions rule you", provided a person fasts and abstains when he ought.

Most saints ate daily, if not a couple times per day.  Performing extreme penances without the approval of a confessor comes from pride and is meritless.
this page left intentionally blank

Philip G.

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on December 15, 2021, 01:10:56 PM

Eating when hungry is not "letting your carnal passions rule you", provided a person fasts and abstains when he ought.

Most saints ate daily, if not a couple times per day.  Performing extreme penances without the approval of a confessor comes from pride and is meritless.

Being that you weren't even a member of this forum when the context of my critique took place, you wouldn't understand its relevance.  Nor, would you understand the type of relationship melkor and I have.  This forum was having a sober discussion about hunting, and the rules that must govern the kill.  And, wise guy melkor argues from the standpoint solely of his stomach, as if we are all hunter-gatherer migrant peoples who do so to survive.  This obviously is not the case.  That is the context.

As for having to render an account for every idle word we speak.  Yes, you chairmanjoe will have to answer to God for all your incessant trolling.

For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Melkor

Quote from: Philip G. on December 15, 2021, 07:24:58 PM
Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on December 15, 2021, 01:10:56 PM

Nor, would you understand the type of relationship melkor and I have. 

You're weird.

TerrorDæmonum

When I was a kid and read Captains Courageous, I found the statements by Harvey about all the books having matching covers (leather, I think) at home, whereas the books he was looking at among the more working class were not matching. I thought this was ridiculous, that someone would care about books matching. What is in the book is what matters after all (and this is what is in the novel as well).

Today, I returned a book to the bookstore after receiving an order online which had the wrong edition of the book I wanted. I ordered three books, and one of them was the wrong edition.

What edition? The edition that has the matching covers with the rest.

I should avoid boats now, just in case.

Bernadette

Quote from: Pæniteo on December 22, 2021, 10:07:17 PM
When I was a kid and read Captains Courageous, I found the statements by Harvey about all the books having matching covers (leather, I think) at home, whereas the books he was looking at among the more working class were not matching. I thought this was ridiculous, that someone would care about books matching. What is in the book is what matters after all (and this is what is in the novel as well).

Today, I returned a book to the bookstore after receiving an order online which had the wrong edition of the book I wanted. I ordered three books, and one of them was the wrong edition.

What edition? The edition that has the matching covers with the rest.

I should avoid boats now, just in case.

ICS Publications redid the cover of one of the volumes of St. Teresa's Collected Works, so now they don't match. It bothers me every time I see it. But my Complete Illustrated Dickens all match, so that sort of makes up for it.
My Lord and my God.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Bernadette on December 23, 2021, 04:13:04 PM
ICS Publications redid the cover of one of the volumes of St. Teresa's Collected Works, so now they don't match.
Into the trash it goes?

But seriously, for this particular book, there are four novels that go together, and they are part of a larger line of publications with matching covers. I have three of the novels, but the fourth is eluding me. I see a seller in the UK on eBay that has it pictured, but the shipping is $40 (and it is a less than $10 book used).

QuoteIt bothers me every time I see it. But my Complete Illustrated Dickens all match, so that sort of makes up for it.

My Dickens volumes also match the above referenced books. Seeing a shelf of uniform sized and styled books, but of all different subjects and authors is pleasing.

Putting an non-matching one there would be anathema.

TerrorDæmonum

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and quotes other ducks, then it probably is a duck.

TerrorDæmonum

"The Succinct Sesquipedalian" would be a good name for a novel...or a band.

Philip G.

I had an interesting thought the other day.  I wonder if there is any connection between the elite cultural activity of smelling wine, and the catholic religious activity of looking at bread.

Bernadette

It's not "bread." Transubstantiation.
My Lord and my God.