Land of the Free?

Started by Heinrich, December 31, 2012, 12:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

As most of y'all, I have a cynnical and at times abrasive approach to things I disagree with. Well, one of the things that I disagree with in this Orwellian police state USA is the drinking age of 21. My two oldest, 21 and 19, were heading out to the pet store to get some worms for the pet lizard. The customary "Do you need anything while we are out?" was asked, to which I asked(ordered) the 21 yo to get some brewskies. But then, the sagacious Mrs. Heinrich said "NEIN!" to due to the fact that the 19 yo would be along and state excise(secret police) could nail them for either contributing and/or minor possession. Sad. Now I have to pull my ass away from the cornputer and drive in the snow. Which is actually pretty fun in a Jeep. But anyway. This episode reinforces that we do not live in a free society.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Ben

I'm more offended that you think Michael Jackson is the greatest entertainer.

Heinrich

"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Kaesekopf

I agree with you, Heinrich. 

But such is life in a Protestant country.  :(
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 31, 2012, 01:19:35 PM
I agree with you, Heinrich. 

But such is life in a Protestant country.  :(

What about England?
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Heinrich

Update: Mrs. H said she would go get beer!

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Heinrich on December 31, 2012, 02:51:30 PM
Update: Mrs. H said she would go get beer!

You have a good wife.

;D

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Penelope

You're sending your wife out in the snow to get you some beer? Come on, now... You should be going out in the snow to buy beer for her!

Heinrich

Quote from: Penelope on December 31, 2012, 03:37:09 PM
You're sending your wife out in the snow to get you some beer? Come on, now... You should be going out in the snow to buy beer for her!

She has not gone yet. She dont drink beer anyway.

tmw89

The way I see it, the age at which a man can drink should be the same age at which he can be drafted for military service.

So, the US should either lower the drinking age to 18, or raise the conscription age to 21.

OR just abolish the puritanical hangover of a drinking age in the first place and let society regulate its own morality how it will.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Heinrich

Quote from: tmw89 on December 31, 2012, 05:44:00 PM
The way I see it, the age at which a man can drink should be the same age at which he can be drafted for military service.

So, the US should either lower the drinking age to 18, or raise the conscription age to 21.

OR just abolish the puritanical hangover of a drinking age in the first place and let society regulate its own morality how it will.

Crazy, eh? An 18 yo man can become an Army Ranger of Navy Seal and learn lethal skills but crack a Pabst after a day in the field . . . WHOAAAAAA NELLLLIEEE!
Exactly. In my European living experience, most German kids above 10 had about half a beer or glass of wine at the main meal. Going out and getting sloshed was not their thing. They smoked hash. 

Edit: Usage: Bud==> Pabst to brown nose admin.

poche

I notice that Mrs. H. said "nein." Even if it was legal for the 19 year old to buy it you still wouldn't be in a "free" country with Mrs. H. to say "nein." Maybe that's all for the best.
:) :) :)   

Heinrich

Quote from: poche on December 31, 2012, 11:44:56 PM
I notice that Mrs. H. said "nein." Even if it was legal for the 19 year old to buy it you still wouldn't be in a "free" country with Mrs. H. to say "nein." Maybe that's all for the best.
:) :) :)

She said no because she didn't want the kids to tangle with law.

Kaesekopf

MilesChristi

Wouldn't it technically be an unjust law, because prohibition was put in law to spite Catholics?
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.