Forum Member Titles

Started by Goodman John, August 08, 2019, 09:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodman John

I have been a forum member only a very short time, but I have noticed many (including myself) having a Germanic 'title' attached to their name- Wachtmeister, Feldwebel, Hauptmann, etc. What is the significance of this any why use German ranks and such?

Gardener

Kaesekopf, the forum owner, like many good Yankees from Wisconsin, is of German descent. He also was, I believe, an exchange student there. As such, he opted to have German titles for post ranking.

Not my favorite thing and I don't pay attention to it. But rest assured it has nothing to do with the third Reich.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Heinrich

Quote from: Gardener on August 08, 2019, 10:12:10 AM
Kaesekopf, the forum owner, like many good Yankees from Wisconsin, is of German descent. He also was, I believe, an exchange student there. As such, he opted to have German titles for post ranking.

Not my favorite thing and I don't pay attention to it. But rest assured it has nothing to do with the third Reich.

It is the hierarchy of Swiss Guard ranks.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Goodman John

Quote from: Heinrich on August 08, 2019, 10:24:30 AM

Ahh, I see. Makes perfect sense now- thank you!

Sempronius

Didnt know that. Next time Im in Rome I'll ask one of the guards "Are you also a wachtmeister?"

Heinrich

Quote from: Sempronius on August 08, 2019, 02:00:55 PM

Didnt know that. Next time Im in Rome I'll ask one of the guards "Are you also a wachtmeister?"

nur auf deutsch

I think that German, along with Latin and English, are the de facto languages of Suscipe Domine. At least, if there were any formal documents needing a draft, that's what Käse would probably like to do.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Gardener

I always forget they speak German. Probably since they're so neutrally forgettable until I need a good pocketknife or overpriced watch.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Heinrich

Quote from: Gardener on August 08, 2019, 05:26:17 PM

I always forget they speak German. Probably since they're so neutrally forgettable until I need a good pocketknife or overpriced watch.

You won't ever forget a Schwingfest!
[yt][/yt]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwingen

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis