What to do with old, damaged sacramentals?

Started by Bataar, July 03, 2023, 12:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bataar

I was doing some organizing and found a box of old sacramentals (pictures, small statues, crucifixes, etc) that used to belong to my mom. A lot of them are damaged or in poor condition. What is the best way to dispose of them? I don't have room for them and I doubt anyone else would want them either. I know they've been blessed so throwing them in the trash doesn't seem like a good option so I'm trying to find out what the best option would be.

Stubborn

Old or damaged sacramentals get disposed of by burning or you bury them.
Even after a long life of sin, if the Christian receives the Sacrament of the dying with the appropriate dispositions, he will go straight to heaven without having to go to purgatory. - Fr. M. Philipon; This sacrament prepares man for glory immediately, since it is given to those who are departing from this life. - St. Thomas Aquinas; It washes away the sins that remain to be atoned, and the vestiges of sin; it comforts and strengthens the soul of the sick person, arousing in him a great trust and confidence in the divine mercy. Thus strengthened, he bears the hardships and struggles of his illness more easily and resists the temptation of the devil and the heel of the deceiver more readily; and if it be advantageous to the welfare of his soul, he sometimes regains his bodily health. - Council of Trent

Jean Carrier

Or you give them to a priest to bury or burn them.
All mankind was in the ark with Noah : all the Church is with me on the rock of Pensicola!
- Pope St. Benedict XIII, in response to the emissaries of Anti-Emperor Sigismund and the Conciliarist Council of Constance who demanded his resignation

drummerboy

I've broken them up in the past.  A wire snips comes in handy.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Bataar

The problem is that a lot of them are made of plastic or are laminated or something along those lines which would leave burning out and I don't have an available option to bury them (on my property at least). I've reached out to my pastor, but haven't heard anything back yet.

drummerboy

In that case take a scissors to them.  I did that with alot of holy cards I got free in the mail, but looked "off" or novus ordo.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne