The sacred heart of Jesus
By ev'ry heart and tongue.
The sacred heart of Jesus
By ev'ry heart and tongue.

O heart, for me on fire
With love no-one can speak
My yet untold desire
God gives me for thy sake.

Priest claims that change of words from men to all is not due to political correctness but to allow a publisher of the hymm book to maintain copyright.  Do you think that is true?

Seems nuts that you can take a hymm out of copyright change a few words and claim copyright on it.

If that is the law then the law's an ass.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Jean Carrier

Yes, copyright law is pretty much the definition of an unjust and irrational law. Its manifestly opposed to the common good. I don't follow it lol.
All mankind was in the ark with Noah : all the Church is with me on the rock of Pensicola!
- Pope St. Benedict XIII, in response to the emissaries of Anti-Emperor Sigismund and the Conciliarist Council of Constance who demanded his resignation

Greg

You take a hymm out of copyright, change a few words and then claim copyright on a new hymm sung to the same music?

Insane.

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Jean Carrier

Quote from: Greg on June 25, 2023, 11:25:13 AMYou take a hymm out of copyright, change a few words and then claim copyright on a new hymm sung to the same music?

Insane.

Most I do is pirate old games that are no longer available for purchase, but yes it is very insane. That is the same reason there are so many Bible translations too: they change words here and there so they can copy right and sell it.
All mankind was in the ark with Noah : all the Church is with me on the rock of Pensicola!
- Pope St. Benedict XIII, in response to the emissaries of Anti-Emperor Sigismund and the Conciliarist Council of Constance who demanded his resignation

Greg

I think he is probably wrong/naive. I think the hymm IS changed for political correctness.  To change men, which meant men and women or mankind in the past to all is too suspicious.

Can anyone think of other hymms 100+ years old that have had their words changed?

Miriam_M

The priest might have been told that, but I don't believe whoever gave him that message.

OTOH, to me that is not nearly as bad as the PC "their" to indicate a "gender-questioning" person, singular.  As a teacher of English literature (and grammar and writing), I refuse to instruct the use of plural possessives for singular nouns and pronouns.  I actually had a heated argument with a student about this last year.  He had been completely indoctrinated about the necessity of using plural neuter possessives for every individual person being described:  "Craig is walking to their job"; "Daphne is brushing their hair."    Etc.

Bernadette

^ I hate that. My priest does it, changing the words of the Gospel. Every time I hear it I want to explode.
My Lord and my God.

spasiisochrani

The original version doesn't rhyme, and the revised version does.