To what are you currently listening?

Started by Bonaventure, December 26, 2012, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

Quote from: JubilateDeo on March 15, 2016, 10:02:14 PM

dudnt realize she had new stuff out...will listen when i am in the right headspace

i read somewhere that she hates practicing piano :)  and that she learned to play piano by watching her mother play while sitting on her lap, and imitating her movements.  As a suzuki teacher this is interesting to me, because in our lessons the child learns to play by listening to daily recordings and watching the teacher (and also the parent).  They learn the sound, before the sign.  music pedagogy was an oral tradition before the 1800s when a shift happened that placed an emphasis on musical notation, and so in the suzuki method, the focus is on this oral tradition in the younger ages.  It is not that different from the way children aquire language skills--children develop their vocabulary and learn spoken grammar before they match the words they already know to written symbols. I tend to wait until age 7 to introduce written notation.

from what i read, she was taught to play piano by intuition which is so different from the way I was taught. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

JubilateDeo

Quote from: Chestertonian on March 15, 2016, 11:22:02 PM

dudnt realize she had new stuff out...will listen when i am in the right headspace

i read somewhere that she hates practicing piano :)  and that she learned to play piano by watching her mother play while sitting on her lap, and imitating her movements.  As a suzuki teacher this is interesting to me, because in our lessons the child learns to play by listening to daily recordings and watching the teacher (and also the parent).  They learn the sound, before the sign.  music pedagogy was an oral tradition before the 1800s when a shift happened that placed an emphasis on musical notation, and so in the suzuki method, the focus is on this oral tradition in the younger ages.  It is not that different from the way children aquire language skills--children develop their vocabulary and learn spoken grammar before they match the words they already know to written symbols. I tend to wait until age 7 to introduce written notation.

from what i read, she was taught to play piano by intuition which is so different from the way I was taught.

I didn't know that :)

We are actually getting a digital piano this weekend, and we are going to start M on lessons.  I am not sure what method we are going to go with yet.  Is 7 to old to start Suzuki?  What if she already knows a little bit about reading music from her music teacher at school? 

Kaesekopf

I'm surprised ches is a motorbike instructor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

dymphna17

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 16, 2016, 10:42:53 AM

Ha!  Alright Ches!   8)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Chestertonian

Quote from: JubilateDeo on March 16, 2016, 10:21:02 AM
Quote from: Chestertonian on March 15, 2016, 11:22:02 PM

I didn't know that :)

We are actually getting a digital piano this weekend, and we are going to start M on lessons.  I am not sure what method we are going to go with yet.  Is 7 to old to start Suzuki?  What if she already knows a little bit about reading music from her music teacher at school?

that is exciting, what kind of digital piano?  i hope it goes well for you.  at 7, your child should be able to do either Suzuki or traditional piano method (of which there are many books and approaches available).  of course as a suzuki teacher, I will say that suzuki is for everyone, from preschool age until old age but it is not a perfect method and you might not necessarily decide that it's for you.   The fact that your daughter might know some musical notation would not necessarily detract from her ability to learn by ear, although perhaps that period of time might bemore abbreviated than someone who has no exposure to written music.  I chose to be a Suzuki teacher because if I had to choose having a well trained ear, or having good sight reading abilities, I would choose the ear training.  but because it really is better to have both, some degree of balance is important which is why I am not a militant suzuki teacher. 

music exists in the realm of sound... the written form of music is just a set of instructions the music itself must come from within the musician.  in fact you could say it is a proto language, some scholars theorize that it is older than verbal language and there is a part of our auditory cortex that is only activated by music.  just as faith comes by hearing i do think that music comes by hearing

i recall once watching a documentary about Van Cliburn whose mother was a piano teacher, and she was trained by one of Franz Lizst's proteges.  As a young child he often listened to his mother teach lessons in their home and he absorbed a lot of the musicand his first encounters at the piano were imitating the music he heard....playing from musical intuition instead of musical notation  during early childhood and growing up with a musical mother are perhasps the only two things he and Amdanda Palmer have in common :) 

It was said that music flowed through Cliburn's veins, and i think this is also a key element of Suzuki.  if your child is going to learn the suzuki way, you need to be a Suzuki mom and that involves a certain degree of immersion in music.  There are music classes you can sign your child up for and sit in a waiting room the whole time, but not Suzuki... for the first few years you are considered a cooperator in the teaching process.  Other teaching methods might allow you to be more hands off which might be easier since you have the baby and everything.  With suzuki you would be listening to recordings daily and playing the music with your child.  In additin,ou are strongly encouraged to immerse your child to the great works of classical music, especially those that feature the instrument your child is learning.  Listen to Mozart during dinner, play Chopin in the car, take them to classical recitals and teach them about the great musicians in your child's area of study.  This will give them a sense of musical heritage...and let me tell you, it's very very difficult to walk away from your heritage. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Chestertonian

haha well they do have adaptive motorcycles:

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

erin is nice

dymphna17

Quote from: Chestertonian on March 17, 2016, 12:02:50 AM

Ha ha!  We met a guy in Missouri once that had a rig similar to the picture below, except he had built the trailer behind his bike so that his quadriplegic son could ride with him.  The special need was just for the son.  He just rode his wheelchair up the ramp, Dad locked him in, pulled up the ramp and they were ready to go in no time at all.  I was really surprised at how fast and easy it was.  The son wore a full faced helmet because he wouldn't quit smiling and getting bugs in his teeth.   :lol:  It was awesome!

This is going to be me, someday!   :lol:   8)

And now, back to the music!   ;)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

red solo cup

Quote from: dymphna17 on March 18, 2016, 06:41:49 AM

Ha ha!  We met a guy in Missouri once that had a rig similar to the picture below, except he had built the trailer behind his bike so that his quadriplegic son could ride with him.  The special need was just for the son.  He just rode his wheelchair up the ramp, Dad locked him in, pulled up the ramp and they were ready to go in no time at all.  I was really surprised at how fast and easy it was.  The son wore a full faced helmet because he wouldn't quit smiling and getting bugs in his teeth.   :lol:  It was awesome!

So..which one is you?

dymphna17

^^Hahaha RSC! Hubby said that he thought tied up and drug along is the only way I would ride a Honda.  :lol:  He's right, but but if I had alzheimers or were drugged well enough, I'd ride anything, which is what I was thinking when posting this picture.  Either way, I ride til I die!   ;) 8)
?

red solo cup

Quote from: dymphna17 on March 18, 2016, 06:41:49 AM

The last picture keeps reminding me of the opening scene of The Beverly Hillbillies.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.