To what are you currently listening?

Started by Bonaventure, December 26, 2012, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mono no aware

Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 22, 2015, 02:29:50 PMDammit.  I forgot about that scene from the video.

Ugh.

It's okay.  It was a pretty close competition.  I mean, Rock You Like a Hurricane is the better song, hands down.  But the videos were almost neck-and-neck.  The Scorpions had painted women and great cats and a crowd of kids clawing at cage walls and frothing with what Pope Benedict XVI called "the expression of elemental passions" and "the ecstasy of having all their defenses torn down."  But Shut Up and Dance takes the worst of the 80s music scene and creates a perverse homage to it.  Neon colors, banal exuberance, and suggestive, idiotic dancing.  Again we can quote Benedict: "the emotional shock of rhythm, noise, and special lighting effects."  So it was pretty darn close, up until that giddy homosexual embrace.  Walk the Moon took the prize with that one.  It's possible, though, that Arun beat us both.  He posted a song by a noxious heavy metal band named Pantera.  And for anyone who knows their stuff, "Pantera" will be familiar as the name of the Roman soldier who is said, in the Talmud, to have impregnated the Blessed Virgin Mary.  Not for nothing did various popes order the burning of the Talmud for containing blasphemy.  So that's rock n' roll for you.

Arun

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 22, 2015, 04:49:09 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 22, 2015, 02:29:50 PMDammit.  I forgot about that scene from the video.

Ugh.

It's okay.  It was a pretty close competition.  I mean, Rock You Like a Hurricane is the better song, hands down.  But the videos were almost neck-and-neck.  The Scorpions had painted women and great cats and a crowd of kids clawing at cage walls and frothing with what Pope Benedict XVI called "the expression of elemental passions" and "the ecstasy of having all their defenses torn down."  But Shut Up and Dance takes the worst of the 80s music scene and creates a perverse homage to it.  Neon colors, banal exuberance, and suggestive, idiotic dancing.  Again we can quote Benedict: "the emotional shock of rhythm, noise, and special lighting effects."  So it was pretty darn close, up until that giddy homosexual embrace.  Walk the Moon took the prize with that one.  It's possible, though, that Arun beat us both.  He posted a song by a noxious heavy metal band named Pantera.  And for anyone who knows their stuff, "Pantera" will be familiar as the name of the Roman soldier who is said, in the Talmud, to have impregnated the Blessed Virgin Mary.  Not for nothing did various popes order the burning of the Talmud for containing blasphemy.  So that's rock n' roll for you.

Pantera is spanish for big cat. like those ones we'd both like to watch eat a guy just once.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Mono no aware

Quote from: Arun on June 22, 2015, 05:57:01 PMPantera is spanish for big cat. like those ones we'd both like to watch eat a guy just once.

Actually, I'd watch it more than once, if we're talking about it as a death penalty for the most heinous criminals.  Executions have been public for most of history.  I'd bring that practice back if I were the emperor.  Rapists and murderers to the lions.

And "Pantera" is, indeed, Latin for "big cat."  From it we get our word "panther."  Which raises the question of why they didn't just call themselves "Panther," or "Big Bad Cat."  "Pantera" hints at something far more blasphemous, and judging by the style and lyrical content of their music, it's reasonable to assume they chose their name at least partly for that reason.  It's like "Black Sabbath": they were heavily into Aleister Crowley and the occult.

Arun

Nah they named themselves after the Spanish word man.

Sabbath weren't really occultist, Ozzy did write a song about Crowley during his solo career though. The dio years have a lot of good religion themed songs due to Ronnie James dio having a catholic background. Heaven and hell is a great song.

sent from a cheap Asian phone using Crapatalk

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Arun

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Mono no aware

Quote from: Arun on June 22, 2015, 06:18:09 PM

Sabbath weren't really occultist, Ozzy did write a song about Crowley during his solo career though. The dio years have a lot of good religion themed songs due to Ronnie James dio having a catholic background. Heaven and hell is a great song.

Geezer Butler, who was Black Sabbath's original songwriter, was heavily into Aleister Crowley and Thelema.  That much I already knew.  I wikipedia'd Pantera.  Apparently their lead singer likes to use the stage name "Anton Crowley," which is, of course, "taken from Aleister Crowley (British occultist) and Anton LaVey (Founder and High Priest of the Church of Satan)."  I think we can safely surmise that the name "Pantera" was chosen for its blasphemous connotations.

Arun

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 22, 2015, 06:29:46 PM
Quote from: Arun on June 22, 2015, 06:18:09 PM

Geezer Butler,who was Black Sabbath's original songwriter, was heavily into Aleister Crowley and Thelema.  That much I already knew. I wikipedia'd Pantera.  Apparently their lead singer likes to use the stage name "Anton Crowley," which is, of course, "taken from Aleister Crowley (British occultist) and Anton LaVey (Founder and High Priest of the Church of Satan)."  I think we safely surmise that the name "Pantera" was chosen for its blasphemous connotations.
Yeah I was gonna mention Phil. He's definitely into that stuff and it stands out in his solo work but pantera were already named when he joined the band and their music never focused on other worldly subject matter. I suspect your trying to make a tongue in cheek point about assumption here or something...

ETA: considering Phil Anselmo used to do TV interviews wearing triskele t-shirts and the band's constant use of the Confederate flag among other things, i think it's pretty safe to surmise they didn't name their band based on anything written in the talmud smh...

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Mono no aware

Quote from: Arun on June 22, 2015, 06:32:42 PMYeah I was gonna mention Phil. He's definitely into that stuff and it stands out in his solo work but pantera were already named when he joined the band and their music never focused on other worldly subject matter. I suspect your trying to make a tongue in cheek point about assumption here or something...

ETA: considering Phil Anselmo used to do TV interviews wearing triskele t-shirts and the band's constant use of the Confederate flag among other things, i think it's pretty safe to surmise they didn't name their band based on anything written in the talmud smh...

So, they were influenced by Black Sabbath and they hired a singer who was into Crowley and Satanism, but we're expected to believe they didn't name their band after the blasphemous reference?  I guess it's possible.  "Pantera" does mean "big cat."  I just think it's kind of a stretch.  And these guys may've waved the Confederate flag, but the original libel concerning the Roman soldier was first circulated by pagans.  It was only later that it was taken up by Talmudists.  So even if they're anti-Semites of some stripe, they probably don't have anything against the anti-Christian pagans of antiquity.

Arun

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 22, 2015, 06:43:39 PM
Quote from: Arun on June 22, 2015, 06:32:42 PMYeah I was gonna mention Phil. He's definitely into that stuff and it stands out in his solo work but pantera were already named when he joined the band and their music never focused on other worldly subject matter. I suspect your trying to make a tongue in cheek point about assumption here or something...

So, they were influenced by Black Sabbath and they hired a singer who was into Crowley and Satanism, but we're expected to believe they didn't name their band after the blasphemous reference?  I guess it's possible.  "Pantera" does mean "big cat."  I just think it's kind of a stretch.  And these guys may've waved the Confederate flag, but the original libel concerning the Roman soldier was first circulated by pagans.  It was only later that it was taken up by Talmudists.  So even if they're anti-Semites of some stripe, they probably don't have anything against the anti-Christian pagans of antiquity.
You can think it's a stretch if you want, but you'll be wrong. Lol at trying to claim a band hired a singer based on his esoteric beliefs rather than his vocal abilities...

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Mono no aware

Quote from: Arun on June 22, 2015, 06:47:12 PMYou can think it's a stretch if you want, but you'll be wrong. Lol at trying to claim a band hired a singer based on his esoteric beliefs rather than his vocal abilities...

I didn't say they hired him for his beliefs.  I was just saying that it would be an interesting coincidence for a band, influenced by Black Sabbath and sharing a name with a blasphemous reference, to somehow have the unfortunate luck of stumbling upon a Satanist singer.  As I conceded, it's possible.  I just don't know if you can sell it as probable.

Anyway, anyone can view the video you posted to see for themselves what Pantera is like.  I couldn't finish it, but I did notice the iconic black baby carriage from Rosemary's Baby flash on a TV screen.  Probably just another coincidence.  I'm sure it's all perfectly benign to Catholic sensibilities.

::)

Arun

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 22, 2015, 07:03:10 PM
Quote from: Arun on June 22, 2015, 06:47:12 PMYou can think it's a stretch if you want, but you'll be wrong. Lol at trying to claim a band hired a singer based on his esoteric beliefs rather than his vocal abilities...

I didn't say they hired him for his beliefs.  I was just saying that it would be an interesting coincidence for a band, influenced by Black Sabbath and sharing a name with a blasphemous reference, to somehow have the unfortunate luck of stumbling upon a Satanist singer.  As I conceded, it's possible.  I just don't know if you can sell it as probable.

Anyway, anyone can view the video you posted to see for themselves what Pantera is like.  I couldn't finish it, but I did notice the iconic black baby carriage from Rosemary's Baby flash on a TV screen.  Probably just another coincidence.  I'm sure it's all perfectly benign to Catholic sensibilities.

::)
The sabbath influence came primarily from Phil too. Overall they were always pretty open about who they were and what they stood for; if your claim that they named their band after an obscure Talmudic reference mist people have never heard of is true your gonna have no trouble proving it with some quotes or credible references. I'll wait.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

dymphna17

Good replies Arun, but Pon de Replay, if you don't like the band, don't listen.  Simple 

Now decimate me with your wit.    8) :rolleyes:
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Mono no aware

Quote from: Arun on June 22, 2015, 07:06:54 PMThe sabbath influence came primarily from Phil too. Overall they were always pretty open about who they were and what they stood for; if your claim that they named their band after an obscure Talmudic reference mist people have never heard of is true your gonna have no trouble proving it with some quotes or credible references. I'll wait.

You'll be waiting for some time.  If I had quotes or references, Arun, I would've cited them by now.  I have no doubt that the members of Pantera will smile and tell us that they innocently named their band after the Spanish word for "panther."  Fine.  But there's enough circumstantial evidence to doubt it.  Here are these angry menacing-looking guys with aggressive music and guttural vocals calling themselves "cowboys from hell" with a lead singer who names himself after Aleister Crowley and Anton LaVey, and they love Black Sabbath and, well, we can all watch their videos.  Now, okay, maybe they named themselves after the Spanish word for "panther."  Or, maybe they named themselves after a blasphemous libel pretty well-known to anyone in occult circles (or even the average atheist teenager defacing a headstone with a pentagram.  You don't have to be a high-level cabbalist to have heard of it.)  I'll concede, either scenario is possible.  But all these damning associations do not help your case.  You'll have a tough sell if you want to try, "ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I implore you.  These are good boys ... "

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFz5tzqY3Ds[/yt]

Mono no aware

Quote from: dymphna17 on June 22, 2015, 08:19:10 PMPon de Replay, if you don't like the band, don't listen.  Simple

It is that simple.  I don't listen to Pantera.  But we do belong to a religion here.  I'm just trying to see how the two are compatible.  At some point the incongruity becomes absurd.

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe