LoneWolfRadTrad

Arun

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Mono no aware

Arun

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Mono no aware

Quote from: Arun on June 08, 2015, 05:55:28 PM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 08, 2015, 05:40:05 PM
LOL

is that lol at me? uh, why, guy?

No, sir.  I was laughing at the lyrics that are viewable on the YouTube video you posted.  They're funny.  And I guess I was also laughing at the way of things on this thread overall.  It's almost amusing that there's no consensus, only chaos.  With all due respect to LoneWolfTrad and piabee, when traditional Catholics are discussing the merits of Muse doing a dubstep album, then I think the whole scene has "jumped the shark," as they say.  Theatre of the absurd.  "Laughing out loud."  Just my opinion, of course.

Arun

Check out the lyrics of the last part of the song, starting about 2:20 I think. Actually pretty deep man.

sent from a cheap Asian phone using Crapatalk

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

dymphna17

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 08, 2015, 06:03:03 PM
Quote from: Arun on June 08, 2015, 05:55:28 PM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 08, 2015, 05:40:05 PM
LOL

is that lol at me? uh, why, guy?

No, sir.  I was laughing at the lyrics that are viewable on the YouTube video you posted.  They're funny.  And I guess I was also laughing at the way of things on this thread overall.  It's almost amusing that there's no consensus, only chaos.  With all due respect to LoneWolfTrad and piabee, when traditional Catholics are discussing the merits of Muse doing a dubstep album, then I think the whole scene has "jumped the shark," as they say.  Theatre of the absurd.  "Laughing out loud."  Just my opinion, of course.

This is kind of the way Traditional Catholics are in general isn't it?  Chaotic theater of the absurd?  I can't think of any part of society or political realm that there isn't at least 1 Trad.  SD covers that pretty well.  Not being snarky or calling you out.  I just wondered if that's how you see it as well, since you seemed somewhat surprised to see it in a music thread.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

piabee

Quote from: LoneWolfRadTrad on June 08, 2015, 03:22:47 PM
I was disappointed when Muse did a dubstep album.  Totally sucked.  Did you listen to it?

The 2nd Law? It has a few good songs.

Mono no aware

Quote from: dymphna17 on June 08, 2015, 07:32:35 PMThis is kind of the way Traditional Catholics are in general isn't it?  Chaotic theater of the absurd?  I can't think of any part of society or political realm that there isn't at least 1 Trad.  SD covers that pretty well.  Not being snarky or calling you out.  I just wondered if that's how you see it as well, since you seemed somewhat surprised to see it in a music thread.

No, I agree with you.  I think the chaotic aspect is evident in more than just our music preferences.  But I think rock music is the most absurd.  Nothing makes a Christian look more ridiculous than to be unapologetically worldly.  I am sure that in the Early Church, St. Paul and St. Timothy doubtless had some relaxing or lighthearted moments amidst their toils and travails.  But I can't see them taking much pleasure in the crasser secular entertainments of their day and saying, "bro, that totally rocked!"  (Or whatever was the first century equivalent).  They never would've changed the world so profoundly had they done so.  The Early Christians carried themselves with a certain decorum, a quiet dignity.

Chestertonian

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 09, 2015, 08:03:16 AM
Quote from: dymphna17 on June 08, 2015, 07:32:35 PMThis is kind of the way Traditional Catholics are in general isn't it?  Chaotic theater of the absurd?  I can't think of any part of society or political realm that there isn't at least 1 Trad.  SD covers that pretty well.  Not being snarky or calling you out.  I just wondered if that's how you see it as well, since you seemed somewhat surprised to see it in a music thread.

No, I agree with you.  I think the chaotic aspect is evident in more than just our music preferences.  But I think rock music is the most absurd.  Nothing makes a Christian look more ridiculous than to be unapologetically worldly.  I am sure that in the Early Church, St. Paul and St. Timothy doubtless had some relaxing or lighthearted moments amidst their toils and travails.  But I can't see them taking much pleasure in the crasser secular entertainments of their day and saying, "bro, that totally rocked!"  (Or whatever was the first century equivalent).  They never would've changed the world so profoundly had they done so.  The Early Christians carried themselves with a certain decorum, a quiet dignity.

the early christians had to deal with people trying to crucify, deep fry and grill them

it's hard to rock out under those conditiins

when my son is grown perhaps it will be like 100 AD again
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Mono no aware

Quote from: Chestertonian on June 09, 2015, 10:38:13 AMthe early christians had to deal with people trying to crucify, deep fry and grill them

The persecutions waxed and waned, depending on who was the emperor, and depending on what the mood was in the particular part of the empire in which you dwelt (some Roman governors viewed Christianity simply as a Jewish heresy, and were more or less content to ignore it as a sectarian squabble).   Not every Christian woke up every single morning wondering if today was the day the authorities would roast them on a spit.  Or if they did, they took it in stride.  Even many of the martyrs, in the years before their deaths, were able to hold jobs, raise families, build churches, compose evangelical tracts, and help the sick and the poor. 

So they did have some spare time, which they do not appear to have devoted to "rocking out."  It's pretty clear that they distinctly held themselves apart from the world, and that they had a disdain for crass secular amusements.  Their faith was not purely creedal—it was not just some intellectual assent to a series of doctrines while their behaviors remained almost indistinguishable from their heathen neighbors.  No; their faith was thoroughly lived out in nearly every aspect of their lives.  "Pray without ceasing."  They had an approach to faith that we today can only stand in awe of.  We, who have hung up our instruments because we cannot remember the song of the Lord.  We should be sitting down by the waters of Babylon and weeping for what we have lost—"bro."

Maximilian

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 09, 2015, 11:48:43 AM

It's pretty clear that they distinctly held themselves apart from the world, and that they had a disdain for crass secular amusements.  Their faith was not purely creedal—it was not just some intellectual assent to a series of doctrines while their behaviors remained almost indistinguishable from their heathen neighbors.  No; their faith was thoroughly lived out in nearly every aspect of their lives.  "Pray without ceasing."  They had an approach to faith that we today can only stand in awe of. 

This is how we would like to imagine the days of the Christian martyrs under the Roman Empire.
But do we have much evidence to indicate that was really the case?

I was just reading "Callista" by John Henry Newman, and the picture that he paints is quite different. He depicts very lax Christians divided into sectarian camps who have almost forgotten their faith until the persecution comes along.

Arun

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 09, 2015, 08:03:16 AM

well what would of been the equivalent of rock music at the time? my money's on some kind of ethnic/folk music or something. of course they would of listened to it at times, when people were singing songs or wahtever.

i don't get the absurdity. i just be myself, i listen to music which i like or which means something to me. the whole question of this kind of music is bad for you is pretty stupid really, and most of the arguments i have heard usually show a pretty large lack of understanding of what music is and how it works and functions. and i say this as somebody who was a student of music from the age of 6 years old, studied music theory, classical and modern music for 23 years.

i would agree that listenting to overtly anti-Catholic lyrics would be absurd. but anybody who has spent 5 minutes around me would agree that it would be listening to classical music or some 1950s crooner shit that would look absurd.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Chestertonian

Quote from: Pon de Replay on June 09, 2015, 11:48:43 AM
Quote from: Chestertonian on June 09, 2015, 10:38:13 AMthe early christians had to deal with people trying to crucify, deep fry and grill them

The persecutions waxed and waned, depending on who was the emperor, and depending on what the mood was in the particular part of the empire in which you dwelt (some Roman governors viewed Christianity simply as a Jewish heresy, and were more or less content to ignore it as a sectarian squabble).   Not every Christian woke up every single morning wondering if today was the day the authorities would roast them on a spit.  Or if they did, they took it in stride.  Even many of the martyrs, in the years before their deaths, were able to hold jobs, raise families, build churches, compose evangelical tracts, and help the sick and the poor. 

So they did have some spare time, which they do not appear to have devoted to "rocking out."  It's pretty clear that they distinctly held themselves apart from the world, and that they had a disdain for crass secular amusements.  Their faith was not purely creedal—it was not just some intellectual assent to a series of doctrines while their behaviors remained almost indistinguishable from their heathen neighbors.  No; their faith was thoroughly lived out in nearly every aspect of their lives.  "Pray without ceasing."  They had an approach to faith that we today can only stand in awe of.  We, who have hung up our instruments because we cannot remember the song of the Lord.  We should be sitting down by the waters of Babylon and weeping for what we have lost—"bro."

you also can't have "youth cultire" in a time when many teens where getting married and starting families.  teenagers were needed to care for siblings do heavy chores and learn trades. hard to be fanatical about the latrs dance craze when you're trying to survive even when the martyrdom threat level is green or yellow
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"