Traditional Catholism for Dummies?

Started by Vanna Grace, September 08, 2014, 07:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

I'm wondering if this thread should be made a sticky, or at least have the resources mentioned here all collected in one place. 
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Prayerful

Is there anywhere to find a good text of the Pius V Mass in revisions earlier than the final 1962? I have found some Kindle books, but are mainly unproof scans. There have been a fair few with Pius X and Pius XII making notable revisions to the Missal, I think. Also what text do the SSPV or SVs use?
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Michael Wilson

I believe that most seds use the 1955 Missal (pre Bugnini-ized).

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Prayerful

Quote from: Michael Wilson on September 07, 2016, 10:31:51 AM

Presumably a 1957 Missal incorporated the Mgr Bugini Holy Week Revisions. My mam's 1961 Missal has an imprimatur from that year. Probably my 1951 St Andrew's Missal would be only useful for the ordinary of the Mass.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Prayerful on September 07, 2016, 11:03:22 AM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on September 07, 2016, 10:31:51 AM

Presumably a 1957 Missal incorporated the Mgr Bugini Holy Week Revisions. My mam's 1961 Missal has an imprimatur from that year. Probably my 1951 St Andrew's Missal would be only useful for the ordinary of the Mass.
Yes, I had a 1957 Marian Missal; very beautiful, but it had the revised Holy Week in it.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Jacafamala

Quote from: Arun on September 10, 2014, 07:00:21 AM

Quote from: Vanna Grace on September 08, 2014, 07:00:41 PM
I would like to find some book on traditional Catholism...but...it has become quite clear to me that everyone on this board is very intelligent (intimidatingly so). Are there any books that won't make brain explode while reading them? Trad lite, if you will. I would not be opposed to children's Trad books. ;)

i'm on this board and i'm nowhere near intimidatingly intelligent...

Me too!

And btw, Vox is a wonderful sister in Christ and I like her forum very much.
"I shall die with weapons in my hands."
-St Therese of Lisieux

Jacafamala

You can't go wrong with the plain old Baltimore Catechism.
"I shall die with weapons in my hands."
-St Therese of Lisieux

Prayerful

Dr Lauren Pristras, Collects of the Roman Missal compared the New and Tridentine collects, and also concentrates to a degree on how Concilium set its agenda through its schemata. She is careful is avoiding unnecessary editorialising but recounting the archaeologism (condemned by Pius XII in Mediator Dei) that ran through them, even though the Fathers took care to state they were avoiding what Pius XII condemned, plus certain rather Protestant sounding assumptions, it helps a person gain perspective. Something essentially unchanged since Gregory the Great (and his changes to the orations were microscopic compared to what the wrecking crew/coetus of Concilium did) was thrown away. Now this is me editorialising on what she wrote, but I think it supports Tradition without polemic.

eileen o

Does anybody know of any good books explaining the Latin Mass?
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but... :)
What a joy to remember that she is our mother!
Since she loves us and knows our weakness, what have we to fear?
-St. Therese of Lisieux
Mary, my Mother, intercede for me with Jesus, your divine Son.

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

ubipetrus

At the risk of "tooting my own horn," may I recommend the book, The Resurrection of the Roman Catholic Church?  It is extremely comprehensive, documents, explains, and supports all stripes of Catholic traditionalism, puts things into perspective, and provides one with real hope for the future.  It is by now about 15 years out of date, but the basic positions, questions, and challenges faced are still the same, as are the origins of the various particular traditional Catholic congregations and societies.  You can get it through Amazon here:
https://www.amazon.com/Resurrection-Roman-Catholic-Church-Traditional/dp/0595250181/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1497209517&sr=1-2&keywords=Griff+Ruby
"O Jerusalem!  How often would I have gathered together your children, as the hen gathers her chickens under her wings, and you would not?" - Matthew 23:37

Carleendiane

Quote from: eileen o on May 17, 2017, 07:42:20 AM

I highly recommend "Treasure andTradition"  -the Utilimate Guide to the Latin Mass by Lisa Bergman, published by St. Augustine Press, Homer Glenn, Illinois. This is the book we distribute to households at our Diocesan Latin Mass. We have only gotten praise for this book. It is both informative and an eye pleasure.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Carleendiane on September 08, 2017, 02:36:48 PM
Quote from: eileen o on May 17, 2017, 07:42:20 AM

I highly recommend "Treasure andTradition"  -the Utilimate Guide to the Latin Mass by Lisa Bergman, published by St. Augustine Press, Homer Glenn, Illinois. This is the book we distribute to households at our Diocesan Latin Mass. We have only gotten praise for this book. It is both informative and an eye pleasure.

seconded.  We have this book, and it's beautiful. 

Sophia3

I gave The Imitation Of Christ to an agnostic man who really had no religious knowledge of any kind—he has to fly regularly for work (and has a hard time with it). He had the book with him on one of these flights and he said it gave him comfort.