What are your thoughts on The Beatles?

Started by TheReturnofLive, February 02, 2019, 02:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionallyruralmom

Quote from: Gardener on February 07, 2019, 09:44:24 AM
Pink Floyd wasn't really in the same vein as groups like The Beatles, The Who, or The Rolling Stones. They were much more artistic, and Roger Waters has continued this in his later career with incorporating audio from newscasts, ambient background noises, audio from movies, etc. He doesn't write and sing songs, but rather paints them anew every night on the canvas of the audience's ear drums. He's what happens when merry olde England trades the Faith for boyish waif women adultery  and Blake's "dark, satanic mills" - Waters can't escape the greatness of his cultural past. The Beatles are what happens when a few ruffians try to emulate American ruffians but can't escape some level of being Brits.

"When the tigers broke free" or "Too Much Rope" ain't exactly "I want to hold your hand".
a guy I knew from my road dog days of following the Grateful Dead and Phish made a career of doing sound or light for Roger Waters.  Super liberal, soy boy, unfriended me for my pro life FB posts  :)
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Gardener

Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on February 07, 2019, 04:55:56 PM
Quote from: Gardener on February 07, 2019, 09:44:24 AM
Pink Floyd wasn't really in the same vein as groups like The Beatles, The Who, or The Rolling Stones. They were much more artistic, and Roger Waters has continued this in his later career with incorporating audio from newscasts, ambient background noises, audio from movies, etc. He doesn't write and sing songs, but rather paints them anew every night on the canvas of the audience's ear drums. He's what happens when merry olde England trades the Faith for boyish waif women adultery  and Blake's "dark, satanic mills" - Waters can't escape the greatness of his cultural past. The Beatles are what happens when a few ruffians try to emulate American ruffians but can't escape some level of being Brits.

"When the tigers broke free" or "Too Much Rope" ain't exactly "I want to hold your hand".
a guy I knew from my road dog days of following the Grateful Dead and Phish made a career of doing sound or light for Roger Waters.  Super liberal, soy boy, unfriended me for my pro life FB posts  :)

He probably got along quite well with Roger, then. While he makes very heady and often extremely layered music, it's my understanding that Waters is a bit of a pain in the arse and not that great to be around as a person. Then again, that's true for most people, famous and not.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Elizabeth