?????!

Started by Augustinian21, October 30, 2018, 05:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustinian21

Hey guys
I'm a young Trad Catholic(SSPX) studying Classics at a university in DC. ( converted from Islam to Catholicism) Latin, Greek, and Patristics are my main interests. ( I'm very well read in the Fathers and St. Thomas. St. Augustine's writings in particular were a big part of my conversion) I also really like Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange and other pre-Vatican 2 theologians in the Thomist and Augustinian traditions.

Look forward to many good discussions on the Faith. 

Carleendiane

Welcome Augustinian! Some great minds here. Would.love to hear your conversion story sometime! I have a feeling, so would others! Good to have you!
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Michael Wilson

Welcome to the Forum! You certainly have a great reading list.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Gardener

Welcome. I'm interested in your background (which school of Islam? raised in it or converted to it, and then left? speak/read/write Arabic [at what level of competence?]?, etc.)
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Augustinian21

Quote from: Gardener on October 31, 2018, 06:39:49 AM
Welcome. I'm interested in your background (which school of Islam? raised in it or converted to it, and then left? speak/read/write Arabic [at what level of competence?]?, etc.)
Sorry, I've been quite busy lately.

I was raised in a very conservative Muslim family, but started
questioning Islam in 7th grade. At that point, I became a skeptical
Deist.  After several years of independent philosophical and
theological study (study of religious philosophy, and the Scriptures)
I accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior 3 years ago. Examining the
life of Christ and realizing that Isaiah had prophecied Christ in the
OT had a profound effect on me.

I swam around in High-Anglican circles for about 2 years. However, the more I read the Early Fathers (especially St. Augustine, St. John Chrysostom, and Justin Martyr) the more I saw the
truth of the Catholic Faith, and the errors in Protestant thinking. Reading St. Thomas (working through the Summa) has also been a greathelp to me theologically. Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange is certainly my favorite modern theologian. Dominican/Thomist theology is especially appealing  to me. I hold to a very high view of God's grace andsovereignty, as well as the Thomistic understanding of Predestination outlined very well by Lagrange) 

I was received into the Catholic Church a number of months ago and currently attend an SSPX chapel. I take the SSPX position on the Crisis and believe it makes the most sense. I've also attended a few of Fr. Ortiz's Masses at St. Athanasius in Vienna

mikemac

Very interesting Augustinian21.  I'm curious.  Do you know if there are many Muslim kids that question Islam at a young age, like you did?
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Augustinian21

Quote from: mikemac on November 11, 2018, 09:48:40 PM
Very interesting Augustinian21.  I'm curious.  Do you know if there are many Muslim kids that question Islam at a young age, like you did?
I know many who simply "Americanize" and become hedonists when they come to the US

Gardener

I could tell you really are into Lagrange by the fact that I asked several simple questions and you answered only part of them with way more information than I asked, and yet still didn't really answer the questions.

:cheeseheadbeer:

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Heinrich

Hello, Augustinian. My former pastor, a Frenchman, was fond of Fr. Lagrange. Tremendous story you have, and we are the better for having you and your prayers in the valley of tears. How is the relationship with your parents? Are you planning on becoming a priest? Also, you mentioned Vienna and Father Ortiz. What order of are we talking about here? I live in America, am an American, but hobby travel to Europe(Bavaria, Austria, Switzerland) as much as I can. I have attended both SSPX and FSSP in my travels, but do not have a bead on a traditional Mass in Vienna.

Thanks!

Oh, do you like to pump iron?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Reader

Quote from: Augustinian21 on November 11, 2018, 05:25:47 PM
I was received into the Catholic Church a number of months ago and currently attend an SSPX chapel. I take the SSPX position on the Crisis and believe it makes the most sense. I've also attended a few of Fr. Ortiz's Masses at St. Athanasius in Vienna

I thought St Athanasius in Vienna (Virginia) was sedevacantist rather than SSPX. No?

Christe Eleison

I swam around in High-Anglican circles for about 2 years. However, the more I read the Early Fathers (especially St. Augustine, St. John Chrysostom, and Justin Martyr) the more I saw the
truth of the Catholic Faith, and the errors in Protestant thinking. Reading St. Thomas (working through the Summa) has also been a greathelp to me theologically. Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange is certainly my favorite modern theologian. Dominican/Thomist theology is especially appealing  to me. I hold to a very high view of God's grace andsovereignty, as well as the Thomistic understanding of Predestination outlined very well by Lagrange) 

Welcome HOME, friend!  :cheer:  :pray1: I am glad that you are with us!  God bless!  :pray2:

I am going to assume that you are talking about Vienna, Virginia, since you are going to school in the DC area, right?

And since there are a lot of Persians/Iranians in the DC area, is your family Persian?

I am looking forward to reading your posts! Thanks for the intro.

Christe Eleison

Quote from: mikemac on November 11, 2018, 09:48:40 PM

There a lot of Muslims in the DC area, from various backgrounds (Persians, Arabs, North Africans, Turkish, etc.) And like our new friend mentioned, a lot of them "Americanize". It is easy to do so, when the older generations might not be around to keep them in line.

In a lot of these countries you find several generations living in the same home. The nuclear & extended family is very important.
And the young view the wisdom of the grandparents, great grandparents as priceless. They are respected &
cherished. So, the young people keep & or stay with their faith much longer compared to their counterparts in the West.

I have met several young people that have converted to Catholicism from Islam. I was told that it was easier to do that in the US.

Augustinian21

Quote from: Heinrich on November 12, 2018, 10:29:31 AM
Hello, Augustinian. My former pastor, a Frenchman, was fond of Fr. Lagrange. Tremendous story you have, and we are the better for having you and your prayers in the valley of tears. How is the relationship with your parents? Are you planning on becoming a priest? Also, you mentioned Vienna and Father Ortiz. What order of are we talking about here? I live in America, am an American, but hobby travel to Europe(Bavaria, Austria, Switzerland) as much as I can. I have attended both SSPX and FSSP in my travels, but do not have a bead on a traditional Mass in Vienna.

Thanks!

Oh, do you like to pump iron?
1. The relationship with my parents is very bad. I had to leave  my house a few months ago for converting to the Faith( they had ranted at me for many months, calling me a traitor and a shame to the family) One Sunday, they told me I had to  stop attending Mass or could no longer live with them. PM for details
2. I've thought about the priesthood, and have had many conversations about it with my SSPX priest. I don't think I'm called to the priesthood, but I have thought about becoming a 3rd Order Dominican. I think God is calling me to married life( the main problem with that is that there are virtually no seriously Traditional Catholic women my age I know. The vast majority of the girls at my university are hedonists)
3. I was speaking of Vienna, Virginia.( not Austria) 

Augustinian21

Quote from: Reader on November 12, 2018, 11:01:00 AM
I thought St Athanasius in Vienna (Virginia) was sedevacantist rather than SSPX. No?
Not quite. It's weird. Fr. Ringrose and Fr. McMahon are Sedevacantists, but Fr. Ortiz is SSPX-Resistance. I would never go to the Masses of Ringrose/McMahon, but have occasionally attended Fr. Ortiz's Masses( there's virtually no theological difference between the SSPX and the Resistance. It's a political fight) I usually attend an SSPX chapel.

Augustinian21

Quote from: Christe Eleison on November 12, 2018, 01:02:14 PM

Welcome HOME, friend!  :cheer:  :pray1: I am glad that you are with us!  God bless!  :pray2:

I am going to assume that you are talking about Vienna, Virginia, since you are going to school in the DC area, right?

And since there are a lot of Persians/Iranians in the DC area, is your family Persian?

I am looking forward to reading your posts! Thanks for the intro.
No, family is Pashtun. I'm not from the DC area, I just go to college here