Hundreds of Priests Accused in Pennsylvania, Church of Accompaniment in Crisis

Started by Habitual_Ritual, August 14, 2018, 02:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An aspiring Thomist

Many things can be true at once:

1. The media doesn't pay that much attention or have the same outrage to sex scandals elsewhere. Hence, when I told someone public schools or Protestants also have high amounts of sexual abuse, they thought I was insane. Or why some comedian called the Church a molesting club with an opening prayer, but has never said similar things about Hollywood.

2. There are sex/molesting rings and cover up rings in the Church.

3. It's wrong to ignore 1 because of 2 and vis versa.

PerEvangelicaDicta

This talk - from 16 years ago! - addresses this scandal. It's a bullseye, and should light you on fire.  We must all take action. Defend your Christ. HE is the Church, not the pedophile prelates.  It's our Birthright.

Fr Bill Casey's Powerful Talk on "Lukewarm Catholicism" and How It Relates to the Priestly Scandals
https://forums.catholic.com/t/fr-bill-caseys-powerful-talk-on-lukewarm-catholicism-and-how-it-relates-to-the-priestly-scandals/503511
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quick qualification to my above post - Fr. Bill Casey of the Fathers of Mercy, whose sermons are readily available on youtube, is not to be confused with a priest of the same/similar name who was accused of abuse (Diocese of Knoxville).

They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Tales

I think the appropriate action to take in order to defend the integrity of His Church is to restore credibility to the clergy (as they are the visible sign of His Church).  To do so would involve:

- a new inquisition to rout out the homosexuals and sexual abusers
- an inquisition to rout out those whom teach heresy or skirt closely around the edges of heresy
- proactively reporting all historical cases of sexual abuse to the police, regardless of statute of limitations.  Full disclosure of all evidence
- police need to arrest prelates whom aided and abetted by sheltering the rapists
- proactively reporting all future cases of sexual abuse to the police
- zero tolerance policy towards homosexual acts.  One act and defrocked
- reform seminaries to turn them into fortresses of orthodoxy
- Caesar must be above suspicion.  Clerics whom invite scandal, for whatever reason, should be defrocked.  This will one day be abused, but right now such a policy is needed to restore credibility
- N.O. abolished

This would likely involve a massive shrinking of the size of the Church.  I suspect many priests would be defrocked and imprisoned.  Most of the hierarchy would need to be replaced.  There would be a large shortage of priests and many parishes would need to be consolidated.  Lukewarm Catholics will drop out. But the core left behind will be like an impenetrable castle and from there will re-conquer the world for Christ.

How any of this will ever come to be under the current pontificate or the one likely to come after, is beyond me.

For purposes of the victims, the following must be done:

- proactively reporting all historical cases of sexual abuse to the police, regardless of statute of limitations.  Full disclosure of all evidence
- public mea culpa by all Catholic prelates, whether they directly sheltered abusers or not, all need to publicly apologize for the mass failings.  These apologies should come through the media and through touring parishes.

diaduit

Quote from: Davis Blank - EG on August 19, 2018, 10:39:10 PM
I think the appropriate action to take in order to defend the integrity of His Church is to restore credibility to the clergy (as they are the visible sign of His Church).  To do so would involve:

- a new inquisition to rout out the homosexuals and sexual abusers
- an inquisition to rout out those whom teach heresy or skirt closely around the edges of heresy
- police need to arrest prelates whom aided and abetted by sheltering the rapists
- proactively reporting all future cases of sexual abuse to the police
- zero tolerance policy towards homosexual acts.  One act and defrocked
- reform seminaries to turn them into fortresses of orthodoxy
- Caesar must be above suspicion.  Clerics whom invite scandal, for whatever reason, should be defrocked.  This will one day be abused, but right now such a policy is needed to restore credibility
- N.O. abolished

This would likely involve a massive shrinking of the size of the Church.  I suspect many priests would be defrocked and imprisoned.  Most of the hierarchy would need to be replaced.  There would be a large shortage of priests and many parishes would need to be consolidated.  Lukewarm Catholics will drop out. But the core left behind will be like an impenetrable castle and from there will re-conquer the world for Christ.

How any of this will ever come to be under the current pontificate or the one likely to come after, is beyond me.

For purposes of the victims, the following must be done:

- public mea culpa by all Catholic prelates, whether they directly sheltered abusers or not, all need to publicly apologize for the mass failings.  These apologies should come through the media and through touring parishes.

But who will lead the charge to do all the above when those who have the authority to do so are probably as bad as the accused priests.

I wonder should there be a mass movement to withdraw donations worldwide until its done.  Money talks bs walks.

Miriam_M

Quote from: diaduit on August 20, 2018, 12:48:00 AM
I wonder should there be a mass movement to withdraw donations worldwide until its done.  Money talks bs walks.

I'm game.

Sockpuppet

Quote from: Miriam_M on August 20, 2018, 01:28:13 AM

I'm game.

There is still an obligation to support the Church financially; however, there are many way to meet this obligation. My plan is to contribute exclusively to a convent.

Xavier

Quote from: Sockpuppet on August 20, 2018, 05:49:35 AM

I'm game.

There is still an obligation to support the Church financially; however, there are many way to meet this obligation. My plan is to contribute exclusively to a convent.

There is no obligation to support bad clerics in their wickedness. Make your tithes to Traditional Priests, or at least to orthodox N.O. ones who are striving after holiness. Convents are good as well.

I've been to (traditional) pre-seminary for a few days. Life there was one of prayer, sacrifice, study, reading, assisting at Holy Mass as Altar Servers, chanting the Breviary/Divine Office with our Priests; little time spent for recreation and sports, and much time for work in the priory garden, and other work around the plot; a quiet, simple life of prayer and solitude, training the Priests of tomorrow for their mission. That's what seminaries were and should be. Am happy to say the Priests I've known like Fr. Stehlin are very holy and mainly interested in pursuing holiness and saving souls, which is the primary responsibility of good Priests. There are Priests who labor through the night with very little sleep. Who can describe all those struggles and sacrifices of good Priests which very few know of from the outside? I only wish all these unseen things would be taken into account before passing unjust judgment on all Priests.

Let's condemn the guilty but let's not condemn the innocent with the guilty. That's what God says in the Old Testament also.

There can be bad people anywhere and they should be found out, removed and punished. If perverts and freaks know they will be laicized and punished immediately upon commiting the sin of sodomy and/or the crime of child abuse, many of them may not bother coming to seminary in the first place. If they keep coming, keep driving them out.

I can't speak for mainstream seminaries. Some of them are bad. Some are still good. The important thing is to discover the evil quickly and expel those involved in it as soon as possible. The same in traditional seminaries when unknown people come also. Major correctives are still needed in some places. Its good this has come to light. Wuerl etc should be removed and the filth expunged.

St. Peter Damian's teaching mentioned earlier for dealing with these perversities are excellent. If followed strictly, this will not recur.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Sockpuppet

Quote from: Xavier on August 20, 2018, 06:28:14 AM
Quote from: Sockpuppet on August 20, 2018, 05:49:35 AM

I'm game.

There is no obligation to support bad clerics in their wickedness. Make your tithes to Traditional Priests, or at least to orthodox N.O. ones who are striving after holiness. Convents are good as well.

I've been to (traditional) pre-seminary for a few days. Life there was one of prayer, sacrifice, study, reading, assisting at Holy Mass as Altar Servers, chanting the Breviary/Divine Office with our Priests; little time spent for recreation and sports, and much time for work in the priory garden, and other work around the plot; a quiet, simple life of prayer and solitude, training the Priests of tomorrow for their mission. That's what seminaries were and should be. Am happy to say the Priests I've known like Fr. Stehlin are very holy and mainly interested in pursuing holiness and saving souls, which is the primary responsibility of good Priests. There are Priests who labor through the night with very little sleep. Who can describe all those struggles and sacrifices of good Priests which very few know of from the outside? I only wish all these unseen things would be taken into account before passing unjust judgment on all Priests.

Let's condemn the guilty but let's not condemn the innocent with the guilty. That's what God says in the Old Testament also.

There can be bad people anywhere and they should be found out, removed and punished. If perverts and freaks know they will be laicized and punished immediately upon commiting the sin of sodomy and/or the crime of child abuse, many of them may not bother coming to seminary in the first place. If they keep coming, keep driving them out.

I can't speak for mainstream seminaries. Some of them are bad. Some are still good. The important thing is to discover the evil quickly and expel those involved in it as soon as possible. The same in traditional seminaries when unknown people come also. Major correctives are still needed in some places. Its good this has come to light. Wuerl etc should be removed and the filth expunged.

St. Peter Damian's teaching mentioned earlier for dealing with these perversities are excellent. If followed strictly, this will not recur.

There were traditionalists implicated in this report and both the fraternity and society's responses have been inadequate. Sorry, no money for priests for at least this year

I am sure though that the Sisters will appreciate my contributions.

Xavier

QuoteThere were traditionalists implicated in this report

SSPX or FSSP Priests? Can you mention them? If not, what precisely do you expect the Fraternity or the Society to do to stop these crimes?

Quoteand both the fraternity and society's responses have been inadequate.

Are in they charge of mainstream seminaries, parishes or dioceses? What do you expect them to say? Their job is to keep perverts out of our traditional seminaries, chapels, or parishes. I expect child abusers in a traditional environment to be punished severely. I don't expect traditional Priests, many of whom would be journeying to administer the Sacraments as we speak, and will keep doing so, to be able to do anything about most of these perverts in Pennsylvania.

QuoteSorry, no money for priests for at least this year

Your choice. Join the anti-clerical mob if you will. Priests I know don't care too much about money anyway. They just bring the Sacraments to all day in and day out even if stretched thin on resources and time. They do this without any conditions or expectations, they are there just to help us all to save our souls. Most of them are not going to say "No Sacraments for some at least for this year" either no matter what; neither our money nor our bread means anything in the long run. The Bread of Life that God provides through them, and the treasures of eternity unlocked by their hands in the Sacraments, mean everything. Don't condemn the good with the bad.

It's reasonable and necessary to be angry at the bad Priests and to ask for them to be punished; we want to protect our children and we can't accept abusers in the Priesthood. It's not reasonable to generalize to all Priests based on what these perverts have done; that is what some are doing.

You are putting those who have ministered as Angels on par with those who are worse than devils. Even if the whole forum or the entire world does that, it will be wrong. I make my stand with God, and with His Good Priests, against the wicked perverts who deserve punishment.

QuoteI am sure though that the Sisters will appreciate my contributions.

Great. Sisters always deserve our support as well.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Lynne

Quote from: Sockpuppet on August 20, 2018, 08:27:14 AM

There were traditionalists implicated in this report and both the fraternity and society's responses have been inadequate. Sorry, no money for priests for at least this year

"Father" Urrigoty was removed from the SSPX seminary  pretty quickly. It's a shame that he was even admitted but once it was discovered where his interests lie, he was gotten rid of *and* Bp Fellay warned in writing Bp Timlin.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

diaduit

Could you imagine 1 month of no money coming in.....that would be enough to make them sit up and actually do something.

Sockpuppet

Quote from: Lynne on August 20, 2018, 08:58:47 AM
Quote from: Sockpuppet on August 20, 2018, 08:27:14 AM

"Father" Urrigoty was removed from the SSPX seminary  pretty quickly. It's a shame that he was even admitted but once it was discovered where his interests lie, he was gotten rid of *and* Bp Fellay warned in writing Bp Timlin.

As has been mentioned several times, Father McLucas is implicated in this report and there has been no response from the SSPX where he currently serves. Furthermore, if the timeline of the report is accurate he joined the SSPX after he had been discharged from the diocese for abuse.

The reponse from most diocese, church affiliated organizations, amd the Vatican has been unacceptable.

I know most priests are good priests out there, but I am not going to give money just so it can be used to pay out settlements. In addition, money is basically the only thing Church leadership seems to respond to.

NOLIMETANGERECHRISTISVM

Quote from: Xavier on August 20, 2018, 08:54:20 AM
QuoteThere were traditionalists implicated in this report

SSPX or FSSP Priests? Can you mention them? If not, what precisely do you expect the Fraternity or the Society to do to stop these crimes?

Fr. James McLucas, SSPX was named in this report. From what I've gathered:

1. Ordained Novus Ordo
2. Mentioned in the report for abuse of a 14 year old girl.
3. This was contested by the Diocese which stated that the girl later stated she was 20 at the time.
4. FR MCLUCAS HAS TAUGHT AT ST. MARY'S GIRL'S SCHOOL.

Why in the hell was/is? he teaching there? Has he been removed? Has the Society made any public statement?

I haven't been able to verify #4, but it's what I've heard. Maybe someone can find this out.

Who can contact the society about this?

Harrisburg diocese disputes report: Priest's conduct 'creepy,' but not child sexual abuse
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ydr.com/amp/1008125002
Lex inuista non lex est

NOLIMETANGERECHRISTISVM

Quote from: Sockpuppet on August 20, 2018, 09:31:19 AM

As has been mentioned several times, Father McLucas is implicated in this report and there has been no response from the SSPX where he currently serves.

Apparently they made a local statement. They need to make a public one on the district website.
Lex inuista non lex est