Is marriage with a deceased wife's Sister or vice versa allowed in the Church?

Started by martin88nyc, June 08, 2018, 03:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miriam_M

Elizabeth

jovan66102

Quote from: Daniel on June 13, 2018, 05:52:08 AM
This might be a little off-topic, but does anyone know the rationale for forbidding marriage between a man and the sister of the woman he was once betrothed to yet did not marry (and vice versâ)? If for some legitimate reason the betrothal fails to end in marriage, then why not just pretend it never happened?

Besides the reason Archer posted, I assume that betrothal was like baptism. If it was, it created affinity just as marriage did.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

Daniel

Quote from: jovan66102 on June 13, 2018, 09:33:21 PM
Quote from: Daniel on June 13, 2018, 05:52:08 AM
This might be a little off-topic, but does anyone know the rationale for forbidding marriage between a man and the sister of the woman he was once betrothed to yet did not marry (and vice versâ)? If for some legitimate reason the betrothal fails to end in marriage, then why not just pretend it never happened?

Besides the reason Archer posted, I assume that betrothal was like baptism. If it was, it created affinity just as marriage did.
It does cause affinity, but my question is, why does it cause affinity? As far as I know, affinity only exists because of the Church's laws, not because of anything in the objective nature of betrothal (or baptism, or even marriage for that matter). So the Church must have had a reason for linking affinity to the betrothal, right? (I suppose it could be the point Archer brought up, but I'm thinking there must be more to it than that?)