Anyone know any Fraternity of St Peter priests . . . ?

Started by Patriarch, April 24, 2018, 05:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Wenceslas

One FSSP priest gave me direction (under the yoke of confession) at a very vulnerable time in my life that almost destroyed me.

Priests are suppose to be gentle in the confessional. This one was like a pit bull. One of many reasons I left the FSSP parish and went to the Catholic Byzantine Rite. Boy am I ever glad I did.

Sometimes I surmise that this was allowed to happen in order to get me out of the trad ghetto and protect me from a disaster that is coming.

Patriarch

Do what you must, King Wen. I found going to the FSSP to be leaving the 'trad world' bubble in some ways and opening up the fresh air. I'd been enclosed within SSPX and Sede circles for far too long. I love the FSSP and IKCSP. Both are great. I really miss our recent assistant pastor; he was solid for being both fully traditional and against phariseeism within the traditional Catholicism, but also not lax at all. Very even-keeled. :)
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy great mercy . . . "
— Psalm 50, 3.

Little Girl of Mary

My fiance and I are set to be married by a wonderful FSSP priest next month.  I've known a lot of different priests... But this one is my favorite!  He is the only one at our parish and he runs the whole show.  He teaches every Catcheisim class, answers every phone call, and makes an effort to remember even the smallest children's names.  I've only been a member of this parish for six months... And yet he remembers my name.  Which to some may not seem like much... until they know that I attended a NO parish nearer my home for daily Mass, Sunday Mass, Confession, and even volunteered to teach Catechism for two years.  I had many long conversations with this NO priest...  Yet, when my father died suddenly of a heart attack and he was called into the hospital he snapped at my waling Mother, sister, and I for being historical.  I looked him in the eyes and asked if he even knew who I was... And he said he'd never seen me in his whole life.  Hearing the FSSP Priest simply great me by my name after that experience with the No Priest, is like the first sip of cool water on a hot day...

Older Salt

THE fssp Believe JPII and Mother Teresa are infallibly canonized.
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Sempronius

Quote from: Older Salt on June 04, 2018, 01:38:53 PM
They are not militantly opposed to the bishops as sspx are. In other words, they dont see Vatican 2 as an ideological battle between modernism and orthodox. If a bishop says something not compatible with church teaching they consider him as a weak person, not as a heretic as SSPX would do.

(Just my impression)

jovan66102

QuoteIf anyone dared to assert that the Pontiff had erred in this or that canonisation, we shall say that he is, if not a heretic, at least temerarious, a giver of scandal to the whole Church, an insulter of the saints, a favourer of those heretics who deny the Church's authority in canonizing saints, savouring of heresy by giving unbelievers an occasion to mock the faithful, the assertor of an erroneous opinion and liable to very grave penalties.

His Holiness Pope Benedict XIV, Reigned 1740-1758
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

Cantarella

I know Father Gerard Saguto FSSP, now District Superior of North America, very well.

He is one of the holiest man I have ever personally known.

QuoteReverend Gerard Saguto, FSSP District Superior of North America

Fr. Gerard Saguto, FSSP was born and lived on Long Island, where his mother continues to live.  After ten years of pastoral service, he was appointed by Fr. Berg, Superior General of the FSSP, to be the new District Superior of North America, effective July 13, 2015.  He replaces Fr. Eric Flood, FSSP, who served in that position for the last seven years. Fr. Saguto understands the difficulty of starting a new parish.  He established the FSSP apostolate in Seattle, Washington in October 2009.  It became North American Martyrs Parish and he was its founding pastor, serving until his recent reassignment.  Like our pastor, he was the sole priest for several years.  Other similarities abound.  Both apostolates were established in existing parishes and, though deeply grateful for the generosity of their hosts, are space limited, with similar logistics and scheduling concerns.  Seattle currently operates out of St. Alphonsus Church.  CCD there is limited to two classes, First Communion and Confirmation.  However, their growth is such that the FSSP accepted an invitation by Archbishop J. Peter Sartain to establish a separate apostolate in Tacoma, Washington.

Fr. Saguto comes from a Sicilian family.  While living on Long Island, he learned that there was a Traditional Latin Mass offered in New York and decided to give it a try.  In his words: "Once I saw it, I never went back."  He continued to go to the Traditional Mass despite the difficulties in getting there.  Here, too, Father can sympathize with those who travel distances to get to the Traditional Mass.

If anyone says that true and natural water is not necessary for baptism and thus twists into some metaphor the words of our Lord Jesus Christ" Unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Spirit" (Jn 3:5) let him be anathema.

Heinrich

Cantallera,

I had the good fortune to sit next to Fr. Saguto recently at a wonderful supper given by close friends. It was as joyful a time spent than I can remember.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Xavier

Yes, they're exceptionally holy men for the most part. I also have the book, Deliverance Prayers, by Fr. Ripperger of St. Peter's Fraternity, and it is excellent. As a trained exorcist, Father knows very well by experience the reality of what he is explaining and gives in the book many powerful prayers of protection against the demonic. I like both SSPX and FSSP priests and wish there was more trad unity. It's a very close toss-up who has better seminary formation, but any candidate studying for ordination to the priesthood can do very well in either imho. Both orders have great priests on the whole. May God grant us many more traditional priests.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Patriarch

Your point? The only two requirements for sainthood are:

1. To die in a state of grace.
2. To attain the beatific vision.

As imprudential as it might have been to publicly enshrine a cultus for either Mother Theresa or the late Pope Wojtyla, neither are barred out-right from Heaven. Either would've had to repent prior to their personal Judgment by God. If so, even if unknown to the public, they'd would be, in Heaven after their final santification or theosis was completed; their souls purgated (whether via purgatory or a purgative illness or personal fight against the World, Flesh, and the Devil known only to God and a select few).

I should be grateful that I was not their judge then nor now.

Forgive me.

Jesu mercy.+
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy great mercy . . . "
— Psalm 50, 3.

Michael Wilson

Re. "All that is necessary to be declared a saint is to die in the State of Grace and to attain the Beatific Vision".
Here is an article by Fr. Jean Michael Gleize SSPX on  Beatification and Canonization since Vatican II, in which he mentions that there are three factors involved in the act of Canonization: 1. The person is in Heaven. 2. The declaration of the practice of heroic virtues by the person 3. The recommendation to imitate the virtues they practiced especially by the introduction of a particular feast day with a Mass and Office.
http://sspx.org/en/beatification-and-canonization-vatican-ii-1
QuoteThe heroic virtue of the saints is the most telling indicator of the divinity of the Church. And ordinarily, this mark is itself authenticated; it receives the seal of the Church, which answers for its own holiness by canonization, the solemn act by which the Sovereign Pontiff, making a final, definitive judgment, declares the heroic virtue of a member of the Church.....canonization, which is the law by which the Church prescribes the veneration [cultus] of one of the faithful departed who exercised perfect holiness during his lifetime;
(b) Canonization
Canonization is the act by which the Vicar of Christ in an irreformable judgment inscribes a previously beatified servant of God in the catalogue of saints. The object of canonization is threefold, for this act does not involve the cultus only.
Firstly, the pope declares that the faithful departed is in the glory of heaven; secondly, he declares that the faithful departed merited to reach this glory by the exercise of heroic virtues which serve as an example for the whole Church; thirdly, in order to better set these virtues as an example and to thank God for having made them possible, he prescribes that public veneration be rendered to the faithful departed....
....The act of canonization declares definitively the sanctity of the canonized person as well as his glorification, and consequently it prescribes the cultus for the whole Church. (It is another thing to prescribe the celebration of a Mass and recitation of an office in honor of the saint: this is a determination that requires a supplementary act, specific and distinct from canonization.)....
There is another difference to be noted, the one between salvation and sanctity. A person who dies in the odor of sanctity is saved, but one can be saved without having lived like a saint. In the eyes of the faithful, the chief purpose and immediate effect of canonization is to point out (to set as an example) holiness of life. Even if they have been saved and gone to heaven, one is not going to canonize people who have not given the example of holiness during their lifetime.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers