What is your favorite childhood computer/video or board game?

Started by martin88nyc, January 30, 2018, 05:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin88nyc

"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

MundaCorMeum

board game, probably trivial pursuit, clue, and monopoly.  We played a lot of games growing up, so it's hard to pick a favorite...cards were definitely up there. 

I played far more video games as a child than I care to admit, but my favorite was, and still is, old school Mario on the nintendo....big, gray cartridge and all!  Tetris consumed a fair amount of my time, too  :P

Jayne

In high school I joined the chess club, but that was more because all the members were boys than for the chess.  I also played euchre a lot in my teens, but that is a card game rather than a board game. Scrabble is my favourite board game.  I prefer jigsaw puzzles to card games or board games. There weren't computer/video games when I was a child and I've never developed a taste for them as an adult.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

martin88nyc

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on January 31, 2018, 08:52:57 AM
board game, probably trivial pursuit, clue, and monopoly.  We played a lot of games growing up, so it's hard to pick a favorite...cards were definitely up there. 

I played far more video games as a child than I care to admit, but my favorite was, and still is, old school Mario on the nintendo....big, gray cartridge and all!  Tetris consumed a fair amount of my time, too  :P
Yes I like Mario too. My father used to spend hours, staying up late and playing this game.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Carleendiane

SCRABBLE!!!! I love word games. I love all things to do with writing, spelling, sentence structure. Breaking down a sentence to clearly see all its parts, modifiers.  Though, obviously,  it doesn't always show, due to auto correct and brain fog. I enjoy editing written works, dangling modifiers, punctuation, sequential articles, cutting out useless paragraphs, often misused words, and finding ways of expression that provide  clarity. Spelling was a strong point, along with a broad colorful vocabulary. Too bad I was not so gifted when it came to all things math related  :(
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Jacob

Risk, especially the variant Castle Risk.  My brother and I have house rules for Castle Risk that really make it more interesting.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

mikemac

Yeah I would say Risk too.  I never played the variant Castle Risk.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

martin88nyc

Quote from: Jacob on January 31, 2018, 10:37:08 AM
Risk, especially the variant Castle Risk.  My brother and I have house rules for Castle Risk that really make it more interesting.
In never played this game. Sounds like fun. I also like puzzle

Maximilian

Quote from: Jacob on January 31, 2018, 10:37:08 AM

Risk, especially the variant Castle Risk. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know that there was a "Castle Risk."

It looks like they have stopped making "Castle Risk," but they have replaced it with a new game that everyone seems to like much better called "Risk Europe."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ALHAEMK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AD6RFAAQRI8WI&psc=1

Includes
Includes gameboard, 15 crowns, 4 armies with 35 Footmen, 12 Archers, 12 Cavalry, and 4 Siege Weapons each, 8 castles, 12 red dice, 32 King's Orders cards (4 decks), 8 City Bonus tiles, 21 gold pieces, 40 silver pieces, 4 War Banners, First Player Marker, 4 reminder cards, 8 Crown cards, card box, and game guide.

aquinas138

I loved the original Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! as a kid; as of college, which was almost 20 years ago at this point, I could still go from Glass Joe to Mike Tyson without getting punched – muscle memory dies hard! I also liked the Mario games, Metroid, Mega Man... I loved the NES era.

For board games, I always liked Monopoly, even though it always ended with fighting and tears. It truly taught the lessons of predatory capitalism as my brothers and I cheated in various ways to ruin each other. Checkers and chess were also favorites. As a family we liked Balderdash and Pictionary.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Tales

I was raised on video games.

Some of my favorite games for which I still have very fond memories:

Super Mario 1, 3 and World
Zelda 1, Link to the Past and Ocarina
Dragon Warrior 1 and 4
Final Fantasy 6
Chrono Trigger
Tales of Symphonia
EverQuest

For board games:

Risk
Monopoly

drummerboy

As for board games I loved Risk, LIFE, and Life on the Farm.  My only caveat with Risk was the dice, I hate losing to dice, which is what I like about chess, if I'm going to lose I know its my lack of skill rather than chance.  My family loves playing sheephead but I never learnt many card games, hopefully my wife can teach me some since she's played more.

Video games: played alot on super nintendo and sega, but my favorite was Age of Empires II, then Total War Rome.  I'm on a World of Tanks/Warships kick now, after I stopped games for a few years because they were too addictive.  Not so much now that I've grown up
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

martin88nyc

There is free Lord of the Rings online game. I thought I could explore the world of  Middle-Earth freely but it turns out you are actually on a mission. too bad.