Sacred Heart devotions.

Started by Xavier, June 09, 2018, 04:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

June is the Month dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus and yesterday was the Feast of the Sacred Heart. Please feel free to post devotionals to the Sacred Heart here.

QuoteTHE MOST BLESSED SACRAMENT OF THE EUCHARIST IS 
AN INVENTION OF THE LOVE OF THE MOST SACRED HEART OF JESUS

1. The voice of Jesus.-----I was dead, My Child, and behold I am living for ever more. 

I had come forth from the Father, and had come into the world: at last I was leaving the world to return to the Father. 

However, the love of My Heart did not allow nor suffer that I should leave them orphans, whom I cherished more than My Own life. 

The love of My father called and invited Me, that, coming, I might be glorified with Him, with the glory which I had with Him before the world was created. 

The love of men also invited and urged Me on, that, staying among them, I might comfort them amidst all the troubles of life.

And behold! My Heart invented a means of satisfying both My love for My Father, and My Love for men. 

A mystery, My Child, that going up into Heaven I may be seated at the right of the Father, and abide with you even to the consummation of the world. 

A mystery, which, unless I Myself had drawn it forth from My Heart, no mortal could ever have imagined: a mystery which transcends all created nature: a mystery, in fine, which exceeds all finite power. 

There is need, therefore, of stupendous miracles, to be wrought by Divine omnipotence alone. But love triumphs: love, which in My Divine Heart found the design, there also found the power of executing the same. 

All things are possible, all things are easy, if I will them in My Heart, Whose Will is power and execution. 

2. As men were not able to bear the sight of My glorified Majesty, and the world could not subsist in the effulgence of such a brightness; regard was to be had to their weakness, lest, alarmed at the splendor of My greatness, they might be kept away. 

Wherefore, I must needs conceal My dazzling glory, and display naught that might fill them with dread. 

Moreover, My Child, since thou hast here no permanent city, but lookest for one to come, it is expedient for thee, that I do abide with thee under another form; lest, forgetting that thou art a pilgrim on earth, thou be willing to make here thy abode, and cling to the things of the present; but that, mindful of thy place of exile, thou mayst aspire to thy country, where thou shalt be able, with face unveiled, to gaze upon My glory. 

Lastly, since this life is short, and after it there shall be no longer any time to gain merits, it is good and most useful that I hide My countenance, that thus thou mayst have a greater opportunity of reducing to practice faith, as well as all other virtues. 

3. If for so many reasons it is advantageous that I dwell henceforth in another form among men upon earth: from among all possible forms that one should be chosen, which is best suited to My Heart, and most profitable to men. 

Now, My Child, since I came down to men, that they might have spiritual life, and since I stay in their midst that they may have it more abundantly; and as the spiritual life bears in every way a resemblance to the material life, which is sustained and strengthened by natural food; they need a supernatural food, whereby the life of the spirit may be preserved, may grow in solidity, and flourish ever more and more. 

It is better, therefore, that I remain under the appearance of food, since I am not only the Bread of life, but Life itself. For how much more abundantly will the faithful soul have life, if she be nourished with Life itself? 

Besides, Child, My Heart is love: but love is the gift of one's self, and does not rest until it has given and united itself to the object beloved. 

Now, as in the life of nature. naught is more intimately united than food and the one that takes it; so also in the spiritual life, by the gift of My love, the greatest and most intimate union occurs between the soul and Myself.

This is that Divine and beatific union, whereby 1 can render every soul blissful: the work of a boundless love. 

Finally, I am pleased to stay among men under the form of a banquet, which is a token of the greatest friendship, in order that, even upon earth, the faithful may rejoice in My supernal fellowship, which the Blessed in Heaven enjoy; and that they may recall with delight that never-ending bliss, wherein I dispose to you a kingdom, that you may eat and drink at My table, and where, girding Myself and going about, I will minister to you. 

This will be the union everlasting, and thrillingly blissful,-----the Passover of never-ending joy,-----the wine of eternal love, which I will drink with you ever new in the kingdom of My Father. 

4. In order that men might gradually be prepared for mysteries so great, I willed that, in many ways, all this should be foreshadowed in the Old Law. 

A figure thereof was the fruit of the tree of life planted in Paradise, by the food of which men, in a state of innocence, were to be nourished, and to bloom with life, that they might preserve themselves from death, and thus secure immortality. 

A figure thereof was the bread and wine offered by Melchisedech, the priest and king: priest of the Most High, king of Salem, king of peace. 

A figure thereof was the Paschal Lamb, the Lamb without blemish, which was both offered and eaten: which was to be consumed neither raw nor cooked, but prepared with fire: and they that eat the same were to have their loins girded, shoes on their feet, staves in their hands, as if in readiness to go on a journey.

A figure thereof was the Manna in the desert, which fell every day from Heaven, possessed the pleasantness of every kind of savor, was called the bread of Angels, of which neither he that gathered more than the usual measure had more, nor he that collected less than another possessed less. 

A figure thereof was the Ark of the Covenant, wherein the Majesty of God was honored between the Cherubim; and whence He was wont, day and night, to impart to His people propitiation, aid, and comfort. 

Lastly, a figure thereof was the bread baked under the ashes, whereby the Prophet was freed from his faintness and depression of spirit; and, endowed with new vigor, walked, on the strength of that food, even to the mountain of God. 

5. It was not unknown to Me, my Child, how much this institution would cost Me: how great and how many a sacrifice this My Sacramental life would require. 

I know to what humiliations I subject Myself, to how many insults I expose Myself. But all these My Heart deems less than the love, whereby It is borne towards My Father and towards men. 

My love is overcome by no obstacles: it triumphs easily over all. Nay more, these very difficulties themselves, it looks upon and displays, as so many proofs of its greatness and generosity. 

Behold, then, eminently the great Sacrament of affectionateness, which, conceived by My love before all ages, was realized by My supreme power in time, appeared wonderful to the Angels, was preached to the nations: which has consoled the world, and which by its sweetness has inebriated the hearts of mortals. 

6. The Voice of the Disciple.-----O the height of the wisdom and love of Thy Heart, Jesus, Son of the living God! How marvelous, how stupendous are Its works! How lovely, O Lord, how sweet! 

Behold, how Thou didst love us, most loving Jesus! Thou didst annihilate Thyself for love of us, taking upon Thee the form of food, becoming like unto nourishment, and being found under the appearance of bread, but the Bread of life everlasting! 

O what power of love did enkindle Thy Heart, when about to pass from this world to the Father, Thou didst institute this most wonderful, this most delightful means of abiding with us, and of abiding in such a manner! 

O prodigy of love! O Divine institution! wherein Thou Thyself, O most benign Jesus, art at once the banquet and the guest, the offering and the offerer: the joy of Angels, and of men! 

7. Thanks to Thee, Lord Jesus, eternal thanks to Thee, for the unutterable goodness of Thy Heart, whereby Thou didst bestow upon us this incomparable blessing. 

Would that I were able to return Thee suitable thanks for so great a gift! Come, ye Angels and Saints of God; come ye, all peoples and tribes; give ye thanks with me, to the Lord: let us praise, and exceedingly magnify Him, for this the love of His Heart. 

Let us sing a new canticle to the Lord; for that, abiding with us after a new manner, He pours forth upon us from Him; Heart, blessings ever new. 

Let us joyfully sing to God, our Saviour: let us fall down before Him, let us weep for joy and gratitude in His Presence. 

8. O Jesus, infinite love! Who through love didst come into this world, and remainest here through love; nay more, through love art become wholly mine: to Thee, in return, I give and deliver my heart, all my affections,. my whole self: grant, I beseech Thee, that, by love, I may be Thine for ever more, that whatsoever I am and possess, may be at the disposal of Thy love and glory. 

Take away from me all obstacles to Thy love; extinguish in me every ill-ordered affection, that naught may affect, naught may move me, except what concerns Thyself, or Thy interests. Thou, O delight of my heart, Thou, O bliss of my soul! do Thou live and reign in me: be Thou henceforth the first and, last object of my thoughts and affections: let me be ever occupied with Thee, or for Thee, Who art all to me. 
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Xavier

Wiki: "Feast of the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus can be clearly traced back at least to the eleventh century. It marked the spirituality of Saint Bernard of Clairvaux in the twelfth century and of Saint Bonaventure and St. Gertrude the Great in the thirteenth. The beginnings of a devotion toward the love of God as symbolized by the heart of Jesus are found even in the fathers of the Church, including Origen, Saint Ambrose, Saint Jerome, Saint Augustine of Hippo, Saint Hippolytus of Rome, Saint Irenaeus, Saint Justin Martyr and Saint Cyprian, who used in this regard John 7:37-39 and John 19:33-37.[2]

History

But the first liturgical feast of the Sacred Heart was celebrated, with episcopal approval, on 31 August 1670, in the major seminary of Rennes, France, through the efforts of Saint John Eudes. [3] The Mass and Office composed by this saint were adopted elsewhere also, especially in connection with the spread of devotion to the Sacred Heart following on the revelations to Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque and Blessed Mary of the Divine Heart Droste zu Vischering.

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, V.H.M. (French: Marguerite-Marie Alacoque) (1647–1690), was a French Roman Catholic Visitation nun and mystic, who promoted devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Alacoque received several private revelations of the Sacred Heart, the first on 27 December 1673 and the final one 18 months later. The visions revealed to her the form of the devotion, the chief features being reception of Holy Communion on the first Friday of each month, Eucharistic adoration during a "Holy hour" on Thursdays, and the celebration of the Feast of the Sacred Heart.[8] She stated that in her vision she was instructed to spend an hour every Thursday night to meditate on Jesus' Agony in the Garden of Gethsemane. The Holy Hour practice later became widespread among Catholics.[9][10]

On 27 December 1673, the feast of St. John, Margaret Mary reported that Jesus permitted her to rest her head upon his heart, and then disclosed to her the wonders of his love, telling her that he desired to make them known to all mankind and to diffuse the treasures of his goodness, and that he had chosen her for this work.

He [Christ] showed me that it was His great desire of being loved by men and of withdrawing them from the path of ruin that made Him want to manifest His Heart to men, with all the treasures of love, of mercy, of grace, of sanctification and salvation which it contains, in order that those who desire to render Him and procure Him all the honour and love possible might themselves be abundantly enriched with those divine treasures of which His heart is the source.

—?— from Revelations of Our Lord to St. Mary Margaret Alacoque

The Act of Consecration to the Sacred Heart of Jesus are two Roman Catholicprayers, one composed by Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque and the other composed by Blessed Mary of the Divine Heart Droste zu Vischering. It was a part of the private revelations reported by the two mystical nuns regarding the Sacred Heart of Jesus."

QuoteWords of the prayer of Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque

To the Sacred Heart of Jesus, I give myself and consecrate to the Sacred Heart of our Lord Jesus Christ, my person and my life, my actions, pains and sufferings, so that I may be unwilling to make use of any part of my being other than to honor, love and glorify the Sacred Heart. This is my unchanging purpose, namely, to be all His, and to do all things for the love of Him, at the same time renouncing with all my heart whatever is displeasing to Him. I therefore take You, O Sacred Heart, to be the only object of my love, the guardian of my life, my assurance of salvation, the remedy of my weakness and inconstancy, the atonement for all the faults of my life and my sure refuge at the hour of death.

Be then, O Heart of goodness, my justification before God the Father, and turn away from me the strokes of his righteous anger. O Heart of love, I put all my confidence in You, for I fear everything from my own wickedness and frailty, but I hope for all things from Your goodness and bounty.

Remove from me all that can displease You or resist Your holy will; let your pure love imprint Your image so deeply upon my heart, that I shall never be able to forget You or to be separated from You.

May I obtain from all Your loving kindness the grace of having my name written in Your Heart, for in You I desire to place all my happiness and glory, living and dying in bondage to You. Amen.

Words of the prayer of Blessed Mary of the Divine Heart

My most loving Jesus, I consecrate myself anew today and without reserve to Your Divine Heart. To You I consecrate my body with all its senses, my soul with all its faculties, and my whole being. To you I consecrate all my thoughts, words, and works; all my sufferings and labors; all my hopes, consolations, and joys; and chiefly I consecrate to You my poor heart that I may love but You and be consumed as a victim in the flames of Your love.

Accept, O Jesus, my most loving Spouse, the desire I have to console Your Divine Heart and to belong to You forever. Take possession of me in such a manner that henceforward I may have no other liberty than that of loving You, no other life than that of suffering and dying for you.

In You I place unbounded confidence, and I hope for pardon of my sins from Your infinite mercy. In Your hands I lay all my cares and principally that of my eternal salvation. I promise to love You and to honor You until the last moment of my life, and to propagate as far as I am able, with the help of Your Divine grace, devotion to Your most Sacred Heart.

Dispose of me, O Divine Heart of Jesus, according to Your good pleasure. I desire no other recompense than Your greater glory and Your holy love.

Grant me the grace to find in Your most Sacred Heart my dwelling place; there I desire to pass each day of my life; there I wish to breathe forth my last sigh. Make also my heart Your abode, the place of Your repose; that so we may remain intimately united until one day I may praise, love, and possess You for all eternity, and sing forever the infinite mercies of Your most Sacred Heart. Amen.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus
Have Mercy on us and to the Whole world_Amen."
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Xavier

THAT THE MOST SACRED HEART OF JESUS, DWELLING IN SOLITUDE AMONG THE ANGELS, TEACHES US HOLY CHASTITY

1. The voice of Jesus.-----Come, My Child, come to the solitude of the sacred Cave: here will I speak to thy heart: here will I unveil for thee the secrets of My Heart. 

Here look around: attend to what thou perceivest: see, what surrounds Me: observe the objects which keep Me company. 

The voice of the Disciple.-----O Lord, I perceive Thy Virgin Mother, Thy Virgin Foster-father, a multitude of Angels, rejoicing and singing, in Thy presence, hymns of jubilee. I see Thee, O Jesus, most beautiful, the Lamb of God, without blemish! 

I behold before me innocence far removed from every object that flatters the senses, ravishing Heaven and earth by its loveliness. 

The voice of Jesus.-----Amid these, My Child, My Heart rejoices, and finds Its delight, because It feeds on purity among the lilies. 

I am holiness itself. Born of a pure Virgin, nourished by a pure Virgin; I am the most tender lover of all purity, and shrink, with all My Heart, from every object which is hurtful or contrary to this virtue. 

2. My Heart is the fountain of holy purity, whence all they draw, who desire to be loved by Me.

From this Divine fountain, all the Disciples of My Heart drink in the love of chastity, each one according to his capacity; and by this love, as by a certain mark, are they distinguished. 

What is more excellent than chastity, whereby thou offerest to God the Father, Who is a Spirit, a spiritual sacrifice most grateful to Him; whereby, honoring thy body, thou honorest My Own members; whereby thou payest reverence to the Holy Ghost, Whose temple thou art? 

This is the virtue which transforms men into Angels; yea, raises them above the heavenly Spirits. 

My Child, whosoever is chaste, is an Angel: nay more, in merit, he surpasses the Angel, since, in spite of nature, he becomes through virtue, what the Angel is, without effort, by nature. 

This is the glory of the Church, the triumph of grace, the flower of life, the ornament of the body and soul, the fairest picture of Heaven. 

3. How beautiful is a chaste life! Immortal is the remembrance thereof; because it is known to God, and grateful to men. 

A marvelous virtue it is, which imparts its freshness and beauty, not only to the soul but even to the body. 

What the lily is among flowers, that purity is among virtues; by its celestial brightness and elegance, it delights and refreshes the very inhabitants of Paradise.

So much does its loveliness captivate all hearts that, even in the world, there is none, unless he 
has altogether lost his reason, who does not admire its excellence. 

4. Man, with a clean heart and chaste body, enters Heaven; passes even into the sanctuary of the 
Divinity, and enjoys the familiar intercourse of God and His Angels. 

The carnal man, like a senseless animal wallowing in filth, understands not the things which are of the Spirit, but finds his delight among sensual objects, the fruits of which are alike destructive to soul and body. 

How wretched is he that is impure! how debased in the sight of Heaven and earth! how like in his interior to the demon, who is called the unclean spirit! 

The world, submerged by the Flood, bears witness how this loathsome vice is punished; so does the land of Sodom, laid waste with fire and brimstone from above; so does every unchaste man, delivered up to his reprobate sense; so, above all, does Hell. Purity, on the other hand, saves from the tyranny of the passions, imparts a most delightful peace, fills the whole man with heavenly joys; yea, adorns him with the seal of the Elect. 

5. Which, My Child, are the chief delights of My Heart? Are they not pure souls? These are they that by the purity of their love, fill My Heart with most pleasure; these busy themselves more frequently about Me; solicitous to know, how, above all others, they may render themselves agreeable to Me; these, being both inwardly and outwardly more holy, long more fervently to live for Me. 

These are they that understand more easily the secrets of My Heart, enjoy with more relish the unction of My Spirit, are more glowing with piety, and are wont to be more generous and faithful. 

To these My Heart, in return, communicates Itself more abundantly; upon them, It pours the streams of more perfect love and consolation; for them, It reserves more special graces and favors. 

Them I admit into the innermost sanctuary of My Heart: with them I treat in a more intimate manner; them I keep nearer to Me upon earth, as well as in Heaven. 

In whatever condition of life, therefore, thou mayst be, if thou wishest to be as dear as possible to My Heart: if thou desirest to experience the fullness of Its tenderness: if thou longest to taste, in the most copious manner, Its sweetness, be thou pure in body and soul. 

6. My Child, this treasure thou carriest in a frail vessel; unless thou proceedest cautiously, thou wilt easily lose the same. Take heed, however, lest thou advance too warily for an excessive fear becomes a source of danger. 

Thou must, first of all, guard thy heart, watch over its inclinations, check its thoughts. For, if thou allowest thy heart to wander about, it shall not long continue unstained. 

Be never altogether idle: idleness is the dwelling-place of the unclean spirit. 

Desire not to be too familiar with any mortal, even were he a Saint, or a worker of miracles. 

Fly dangerous occasions, as thou wouldst a pestilence. How many there are, who, though elsewhere sufficiently secure, perish here miserably. 

7. Turn away thy eyes, lest they behold the seductions of vanity; be modest: without modesty, chastity cannot endure. 

Hedge in thy ears with care, lest, through them, the enemy find access to thy heart. For, where there is no hedge, the possession shall be laid waste. 

Keep the tongue not only from unclean words, but also from all scurrility, and every kind of language, of which the devil may take advantage to tempt thee or others. 

Restrain the taste in such a manner, that the temperance in food and drink hinder the flesh from rebelling, and endow and strengthen the spirit with vigor. 

Mortify the touch assiduously, not only in those things which, when unlawfully touched, may cause thee to die the death, but also in those which, savoring of sensuality, may, by the aid of Satan, arouse the passions. 

S. Be persuaded, however, My Child, that, after thou hast done all this, thou art not able to preserve this most precious, most beautiful, yea, most useful and necessary virtue, except with the help of Divine grace. 

Wherefore, thou shouldst frequently and earnestly ask for this heavenly gift, and beg for it by fervent prayer, through the intercession of My Virgin Mother, My Virginal Foster-father, thy Guardian Angel, and, finally, of all the inhabitants of Heaven. 

The enemy, knowing that, through purity, men become associated with the choirs of Angels, and merit among them that place which he, by his uncleanness, has forfeited, raves with envy, and leaves nothing undone, to despoil men of this virtue. 

But let not thy heart fear, My Child, nor be disturbed; My grace is sufficient for thee, provided by neglecting the proper means, thou be not wanting to thyself. 

9. Be exceedingly careful, lest thou expose thyself rashly to dangers; and, after having overcome temptations, do not ascribe the glory of the victors to thyself: for, since all this springs from pride, it will doubtless be punished with a disgraceful humiliation. 

Through grace, thou shalt be the more chaste, the more humble thou art: for it is humility which deserves that chastity be given. My Child, be ever mindful of these words. 

It thou wilt be perfect in the virtue of chastity, be inflamed with a god-like love for Me: for no one, unless he be perfect in the love of Jesus, can be perfect in chastity; but whosoever loves Jesus perfectly, shall be perfectly chaste, perfectly pure. Keep this secret in thy memory, keep it in thy heart. 

10. The voice of the Disciple.-----O Jesus, Thou Virgin of Virgins! Whose Mother is a Virgin, Whose Foster-father is a Virgin, Whose inseparable companions are Angels; Whom when I approach, I am clean; Whom when I love, I am chaste: endless thanks to Thee, for that Thou didst keep my heart free from the love of all carnal pleasure, and didst enkindle it with the love of holy purity. 

Ah, they that love Thee, behold! are hastening after Thee, drawn by the odor of Thy must delightful innocence, and, as closely as they can, they are following Thee, the Lamb, whithersoever Thou goest. 

O Jesus, Thou lover of chaste souls! grant me, I implore Thee, for love of Thee, with all the Disciples of Thy Heart, to value supremely, to love most tenderly this virtue of Angels, and shun with the greatest abhorrence, all that is contrary thereto. 

Sanctify my heart and body with Thy love, that I may serve Thee with a chaste body, and please Thee with a clean heart. 

O Jesus, my love and my God! Who didst create me in Thy likeness, permit not that I ever sully or unhallow it by any defilement. 

Suffer not, that for a short-lived pleasure,-----for which I must, either now or afterwards, endure shame and punishment,-----I lose that virtue, which is my present and future glory and felicity. 

If ever, O most sweet Jesus, Thy love should find me insensible to the loveliness and the rewards of purity; I beseech Thee, let the dread of the everlasting flames of Hell, prevent the flame of vice. 

Xavier

WHAT ADVANTAGES THERE ARE IN SUFFERING WELL 

1. The voice of Jesus.-----My Child, to thee it is given to understand the secrets of My Heart, to enter devoutly into them, to direct them fully to thy progress.

Hear, then, the secrets which are hidden from the world: learn thou the good things which worldlings understand not. 

Behold, walking in the way of the Cross, I the Creator have gone before My creatures; I the Redeemer before those whom I had set free; I a Father before My children; and to all men have I made it known, that, whosoever is willing to be a partaker of the unutterable bliss which awaits Me, at the end of the journey, should, with the proper interior disposition of heart, deny himself, and follow Me.

But many hearing this, have said at all times: This is a hard saying, and who can hear it? And, thenceforth, many withdrew and walked with Me no more. 

The Saints, however, and all they that were really willing to sanctify themselves, received My invitation with a thankful heart, and judged that their happiness, even upon earth, consisted in being with Me in suffering with Me, and in persevering with Me through every trial unto the end. 

2. And, indeed, My Child, what good is there on earth, which may not be found in suffering with 
Me? Here is true glory: a glory which is worthy ot the Divine approval: a glory which does not pass 
away with this world: a glory which shall endure and be exalted for evermore. 

This is the hidden treasure, wherewith is bought the kingdom of Heaven, with its entire unending blessedness. 

This is the pure delight, exceeding all the feelings. For if thou arrivest at this, that thou rejoicest in suffering with Me, thou obtainest possession of a spiritual Paradise of delights upon earth. 

3. Whilst everything flows on according to nature's inclinations, and whilst no trouble oppresses the heart, a person is wont to cling to creatures, to turn rarely toward Me, and to feel it irksome to busy himself with the things of eternity. 

But when he labors under adversity, and is pressed by afflictions, he turns again to his heart; he perceives how vain, how perishable are all the things of this world; he flies for aid to Me, Whom he finds, by experience, most of all needed by himself. 

Therefore, My Child, the kind Providence of My Heart is wont so to act, that they who are affluent with the possessions of this world, do not enjoy them without inconvenience, in order that thus they may be excited the more easily and effectively to seek the treasures of the life to come. 

For, if they possessed a quiet and undisturbed felicity amid worldly riches, they would, perhaps. not even think of laying up heavenly treasures. 

It is, then, a merciful dispensation, that evils abound in the world, lest the world might be loved, and its votaries might perish. 

4. As fire consumes rust, and purifies gold, so sufferings exhaust and deaden the passions, and render virtues more pure and precious. 

By tribulation properly endured, My Child, thou redeemest thy sins, and thou satisfiest the Divine justice, for punishments still due: in so much, that, in this manner, thou canst have here a slight and consoling Purgatory, from which, through the gates of death, thou mayst deserve to wing thy flight to joys everlasting. 

What is there that can make thee merit more, than sufferings endured with a proper disposition of heart? For, behold! light and momentary tribulations work out for thee an ever-enduring weight of glory.

Every affliction will add a new jewel to thy heavenly crown, which shall glitter with as many rays as thou hast performed acts of virtue.

In adversity, man is freed from many false notions and errors, and instructed in many ways. Happy he that, in the school of affliction, is taught to be wise in all things! 

What does he know, who has never experienced adversity, has never endured aught, either inwardly or outwardly? And wherein can he be useful in counselor guidance either to himself or to others? 

5. Wherefore, Child, do not lose courage, when thou art tried or reproved by Me. For whomsoever I love, him do I lovingly reprove, in order to train him; and, in him, as a Father in His son am I well-pleased.

Thou shouldst, therefore, justly be glad amid sufferings, since therein thou mayst have an indication of My esteem for thee, and a token of the fatherly love of My Heart. 

There is scarcely aught else to be found which produces a greater confidence in My Heart, or a freer access to It, than to suffer willingly for My sake. 

When thou art about to die, My Child, thou wilt rejoice over no circumstance of thy life so securely, nor find so safe a consolation in aught else, as in the most agreeable remembrance of having suffered much with Me. 

6. Very many study to shun the way of humiliation and affliction; pleading as an excuse, that they can both better glorify God and help their neighbor, in a more agreeable way. 

What a delusion! They do not seek God nor their neighbor, but themselves. For the glory of God and the salvation of the neighbor are not to be promoted according to man's, but according to God's good pleasure. 

Now, God indicated to His Son the manner of glorifying on earth His Majesty, and of saving the lost world. And this manner the Son followed by suffering and by suffering He made it known to man. 

My Child, do thou follow this path which I Myself have trodden and showed to thee. And that thou mayst be able to keep it, pray thou frequently and fervently. 

But whilst praying, ponder thou devoutly all My sorrows of every kind, and the supernatural dispositions of My Heart all the while. 

Do not consult merely natural inclinations or purely human feelings; but, by means of supernatural principles, elevate thyself above sensible things, and view tribulations as sent by the Divine Will, and, inasmuch as thou art able, embrace them affectionately. 

Courage, then, My Child; cheer on thy heart. Behold Me, and all the Saints with Me, cheerfully treading the path of sufferings. Be thou bold to follow. With Me nothing is to be feared; the company is select; the way safe; the goal certain; the reward everlasting. 

7. The voice of the Disciple.-----O Lord Jesus! who will not be roused up to follow Thee? Who does not feel his heart burning within him, whilst Thou utterest these things about the way?

But it is one thing to be enkindled by Thee, and another to follow Thee; it is one thing to meditate and quite a different one to act: yea, it is one thing to know virtue, and another to practice the same. 

I acknowledge that the love of sufferings is a most excellent virtue; I admire it in my mind, I do even love it in my heart; but, when an occasion of actually practicing it presents itself, behold! self-love begins forthwith to torment me, secret pride darkens my understanding and forces upon me a thousand excuses, a thousand specious pretenses. Whilst thus I am miserably struggling with myself, the chance of suffering something for Thy sake flies away, and, I must confess it to my shame, I frequently wish myself joy if I escape unharmed from the struggle. 

O most kind Jesus! look Thou graciously, I beseech Thee, upon this my misery and grant me in Thy mercy to be able, by Thy grace, to do that which, by my frailty, I cannot effect. 

Great is my weakness, great the power of my refractory nature, which shrinks from the very thought of pain or humiliation. 

But the reason why I am so weak and sluggish,-----tso that I dare not go contrary to nature,-----tis that I do not love Thee sufficiently. 

O most sweet Jesus! were I to love Thee, like Thy Saints, how easy, how pleasant even, would it be to triumph over the repugnance of nature! 

Grant me, therefore, I pray Thee, this singular grace, that I may love Thee with a more perfect love,-----with a love courageous and generous; that it may strongly attract me,-----despite the opposition of nature,-----through all hardships, to Thee, O Jesus, my life, my delight, my beatitude. 

diaduit

Any shorter devotions?

Genuine request :)

jovan66102

To JESUS CHRIST, KING

O CHRIST JESUS, I acknowledge Thee as Universal King. All that has been made, was created for Thee. Exercise over me all the rights that Thou hast.

I renew my Baptismal Promises, renouncing Satan, his pomps and his works, and I promise to live as a good Catholic « Especially do I pledge myself, by all the means in my power, to bring about the triumph of the rights of God and of Thy Church.

DIVINE HEART of Jesus, I consecrate all my poor actions to the cause of Thy Kingship, that all hearts may recognize Thee their Ruler and thus establish the Kingdom of Thy Peace in all the world. Amen.

Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

Xavier

Hi Diaduit, these meditations are from Rev. Father Peter Arnoudt's "Imitation of the Sacred Heart", 1866, very much like the Imitation of Christ, written by a true master of the spiritual life. There are admonitions from the voice of Jesus and short resolutions at the end in the voice of the disciple. I find these meditations extremely useful; maybe I can shorten them by dividing them across two days?

https://www.amazon.com/Imitation-Sacred-Heart-Jesus/dp/0895550121

"1. My Child, do not disregard grace, but carefully preserve so sacred a deposit, which has been entrusted to thee.
For this is thy treasure, this thy glory, this thy happiness, this thy every good. This informs thee, the image of God, and renders thee alike to Him.
Know, then, thy dignity, man, who, by sanctifying grace, art raised even to the likeness of God, and becomest more exalted than the whole world, so that naught of earth can be compared to thee.
What is the splendor of the stars? What the beauty of all creatures, when placed in comparison with the excellence of a soul adorned with divine grace, and thus assimilated to God Himself?
Lift up thyself, therefore, and, mindful of thy dignity, do not defile nor debase thyself.

2. God adopts thee, resplendent with this grace not simply as His child, but as the child of His love and predilection.
Thus, what I possess by nature, thou receivest by adoption; so that thou art not only called, but art in very truth, a child of God.
Understand, if thou art able, what it is, to be a child of God: what it is, to be loved and cherished by such a Father.
In the world, children esteem themselves happy, and glory in having parents who are wise, good, influential, or wealthy, great, illustrious. But what are the distinctions of all the parents of this earth, when compared with the Attributes of God?
With how much more reason, therefore, shouldst thou glory and rejoice in having for thy Father, God Himself, the Lord of heaven and earth!
Ponder, then, with a true judgment the excellence of this divine adoption. For, when formerly thou wast a castaway, reduced to the lowest depth of degradation, thou becamest, by sanctifying grace, from bond, free; from one disowned, the acknowledged child of God; that, thus ennobled, thou mayst rejoice in the affluence of the good things of the Lord.
Blessed is he who knows the price of sanctifying grace, whereby he was raised to be a child of God; and who so esteems this, the highest nobility, that, on no account, he shows himself degenerate, but ever continues a child worthy of such a Father!

3. If, by grace, thou art a child, by the same thou art also made an heir, even the heir of God, and co-heir with Me. Wherefore, My Child, the everlasting kingdom, which is Mine by right of nature, becomes thine in virtue of sanctifying grace.
When thou lookest up to heaven, and viewest, in spirit, the glory, the beatitude, and all the good things of eternity, say to thyself: Behold my possessions, behold my inheritance, if I preserve the title of grace.
My merits obtained that this grace should confer upon thee a settled right to the possessions of heaven; of which none, except thyself, can deprive thee.
God's promise remains firm; He is faithful to His word: but, if thou losest sanctifying grace, thou throwest aside thy right, and becomest disinherited.

4. Grace, My Child, which constitutes thee an heir of the heavenly kingdom, makes thee also a companion of the Angels, a brother of the Saints.
If thou art glad when thou enjoyest the intercourse of distinguished companions, mortal men though they be, and subject to change; if thou art delighted at having brothers according to the flesh, although their number divides and lessens thy earthly inheritance: how great must be thy joy that, by grace, thou hast the blessed Angels for companions, the chosen Saints of God for brothers, whose countless number neither divides nor lessens thy celestial inheritance, but, on the contrary, increases and multiplies the same!
And what brothers, too, My child! How innumerable, how illustrious, how mighty, how good! They are thy elder brothers: celebrated for their triumphs, crowned with the glory of beatitude, secure of themselves, solicitous for thee; they love thee in truth, encourage thee by their example, help thee by their prayers, invite thee by their rewards.
Blissful grace, which makes thee the brother of such heroes! Oh, My Child, would that thou didst fully understand this!"

Xavier

5. Moreover, by an effect of sanctifying grace, thou mayst, even in this life, enjoy true happiness. This grace is the foundation of interior peace: without it, there is no real peace: with it, an undisturbed calm pervades the soul.
Who, that resists sanctifying grace, has ever enjoyed peace? And what happiness can there exist, where there is no peace?
If thou rejoicest in the peace of grace, thou mayst justly and safely be glad amid prosperity, and thou canst easily and usefully find solace in adversity.
Preserve thyself in grace, and thou shalt always be enabled to possess peace and happiness. Witness all the Saints: yea, also they who, when once converted, kept carefully within themselves the grace of God. When they had this, and compared their present feelings with those of their former life, taught by experience, they could say to Me: Better is one day in Thy courts, Lord, than thousands in the dwellings of sinners.

6. Nay more, My Child, if thou livest in sanctifying grace, My kingdom is within thee; so that I repose and reign in thy heart as on My throne.
Now, My kingdom consists in the tranquility and joy of the Holy Ghost, who is a Spirit of charity and sanctification.
In this kingdom I hold sway, not as a Lord ruling My subjects, but as a Father training My Child, whom I design to reign with Me. So long, therefore, as thou continuest under this rule of grace, I guide thee specially by My Wisdom, I protect thee by My power, I attend and encompass thee by My love.
Neither hast thou aught to fear, My Child, for this kingdom so governed, so protected, so cherished; unless, indeed, thyself becomest its betrayer.
If thou art faithful, it shall, doubtless, stand firm and endure for evermore: nor can all its enemies combined overthrow, or even weaken the same.
How sweet, how consoling is this thought, My Child! How well suited to make thee esteem sanctifying grace above everything!

7. See now, My Child, how many, and what great possessions thou hast in this one good alone!
Does not this one good surpass, in excellence, all the riches of this world?
Pray, Child, that thou mayst ever understand better, and more perfectly the value of grace, and prize it in reality as highly as thou shouldst do.
If thou dost understand and appreciate it rightly, thou wilt deem it little, or certainly not too much, to sacrifice for its preservation not only fortune, fame, and all that is dear and pleasing, but even health, and, if it were necessary, life itself.
Did not My holy Martyrs, and all My sainted heroes, among whom thou beholdest so many children and tender Virgins, prize it thus? Did not thousands among them, when it was left to their choice, prefer to sacrifice, amid torments, all the blessings of life, yea, life itself, rather than lose the same, for any possession, however great, that was offered?
Thou, therefore, the child of such heroes, use thy every effort, constant watchfulness, and thy greatest care, to preserve grace, the most precious of all gifts; the more so, as the most powerful exertions of thy enemies are directed to despoil thee, and thus to accomplish thy destruction.
For the rest, dearly beloved, be thou strengthened in grace: increase in the same, and, by acts of true virtue, advance thou, even unto perfection.
Didst thou understand all these things, My Child?

The Voice of the Disciple
8. Yea, Lord. Would that I had understood all this before! Would I not then, after I had lost Thy grace, have wept and moaned more dolefully than Esau, when he had forfeited his birthright? For greater, beyond comparison, was my loss, and sustained too, for a far baser object.
Oh! Had I understood all this, would I, for aught here below, have cast away so great a treasure?
Lord Jesus, would that I had never lost this greatest of all possessions! One thing, however, brings me solace, it is not yet too late; I may still enjoy the privileges of Thy grace, and thereby sanctify myself.
Thanks to Thee, most sweet Jesus, for that Thou hast showed so great a mercy to me, so unworthy.
The ineffable kindness of Thy Heart, I will not forget forever.
O Jesus! Hereafter, grant me sooner to die than to lose Thy grace. By Thy most Sacred Heart, I beg and entreat Thee, hearken graciously to my petition.
Let others seek after silver and gold, honor and distinction, the joys of this world and its consolations: taught by Thee, Lord, this alone do I desire above all else, to preserve Thy grace, and to increase therein all the days of my life.

Xavier

WHY THE SON OF GOD WISHED TO BECOME INCARNATE

1. The voice of Jesus.-----My Child, God alone it good. He is the supreme Goodness, supreme Wisdom, supreme Power, supreme Perfection.

What, then, can be better, or more perfect, than to follow and imitate God?

But, as God falls not under the senses, and men are inclined to sensible things, it was thought befitting that I, a Divine Person, should become man: that thus I might unvail to them an external form to captivate their senses, and induce them, in a more easy and pleasing manner, to imitate God.

The first men aspired after lofty things: they desired and endeavored to be assimilated to God, that, like gods, they might know good and evil, and they fell: they lost the good which they knew, and suffered the evil which they knew not.

But I wished to present Myself before men in such a form, that, without presumption, without danger, they might safely desire so to render themselves like unto God, as to be freed from evil, and to acquire what is good.

2. First of all, men were to be redeemed; and when their debts had been canceled, they were to be made free.

Heavy were those debts which weighed upon them. So greatly had they offended the Divine Majesty, that no mere creature, but God alone, having become man, could fully satisfy the Divine justice, and truly repair the honor of the Divine Majesty.

Miserable slaves of Hell, they lay cast down, and groaning, without having in themselves any means of bettering their condition. I pitied the wretched multitude; and came among them, with a Heart overflowing with mercy, to redeem them, and lead them to a sweet and holy freedom.

3. Heaven had been closed by sin, and, among created beings, whether in Heaven or upon earth, there was none able to open it again; had not I come down and unlocked it, no mortal could ever have entered Heaven.

Before My coming, God was indeed known in Judea, where some few served Him worthily; but only through the grace given to men in view of My future coming. Among the Nations, how very small was the number of those, who, co-operating with this grace, feared God, practiced justice, and were pleasing to Him!

In how great a darkness were the greater part of them heedlessly groping! In how deep, and how measureless an abyss of wickedness were they buried!

Nay more, even now,-----after the work of Redemption has been fulfilled,-----what kind of life do many men lead, in spite of the countless means of salvation! Through their own fault, ignorant or forgetful of Me, they roam in blindness, and wickedly rush to destruction.

What, then, should have become of the human race, unless I, the Word, had been made flesh? None could have attained to God, to supernatural beatitude.

But, by assuming flesh, I united in Myself the utmost degree of Divine greatness to the utmost of human lowliness, in such a manner, that, whosoever was willing, could, through Me, reach God and supernatural beatitude.

4. I came to glorify God, My Father; to make known to men His name and His love.

Of old the name of God, was the holy and dread Name of the Lord: now, the Name of God, is the holy and sweet Name of a Father.

The Old Law, was a Law of fear: the New, is a Law of love. God so loved men, that He gave His only-begotten Son.

And I, through love for My Father and for men, was incarnated by the Holy Ghost, the Spirit of love.

The whole work of the Incarnation, is, therefore, a work of love, but of a gratuitous love, of an infinite love.

5. I came from Heaven, and I return to Heaven, pointing out to all the way that leads thither, that where I am, they also may be who follow Me in this way.

I am the truth: I appeared shining in the darkness of the world, to enlighten every man that comes into this world, that everyone might surely and safely guide his steps on the journey.

I am the life: for this I came into the world, that they who were dead might have life, and have it more abundantly; namely, the life of grace on their way, and the life of glory in their heavenly country.

Yet, behold! even after man was born again to the life of grace, freed from the slavery of death; and after he had been taught by Me the way to his true country, weak and unstrengthened as he was he could not have been able to follow Me.

Great were his infirmities, My Child, great his faintness: but greater was the all-powerful Physician, greater the Divine remedy, which heals every infirmity, every faintness.

This remedy is manifold grace, the price of My sufferings, the gift of My Heart; which induces every man to long for health; strengthens him when healed, and helps him to follow Me.

When I came upon earth, I might have run My career more swiftly than a giant. But the multitude of those that were suffering so moved My Heart, that, loitering in their midst, I seemed, in some manner, to grow weak with them; and, going before them, I so smoothed the roughness of the way, so helped and cheered up every one, that, were they but willing, they could easily and joyously follow My footprints towards the kingdom of Heaven.

6. See now, My Child, how I have loved thee. These things I did for all in general, and for every one in particular as well: therefore, also for thee as if thou wert alone in the world, wretched and forsaken: and, as if I had come down from Heaven, to seek thee, to redeem thee, to save thee alone.

Wherefore, since I came down in this manner that I might be thy guide to My everlasting kingdom, follow thou Me.

In whatsoever condition, in whatsoever state thou mayst be, under all circumstances, propose to thyself My life, as the sure and safe way to Heaven.

Neither shouldst thou imagine that My outer life only is such, because My inner life is the principal.

My interior is My Heart: therein is found all glory: therein resides the principle of all virtues.

My Child, be not like the Jews, who gazed upon My outward appearance only, and considered not the feelings and dispositions of My Heart.

Do thou enter into the interior of My Heart: carefully examine the same, study It, be wholly busied therewith.

7. If thou feelest grateful towards Me, if thou lovest Me in return, thou wilt diligently search after whatever may be pleasing to My Heart, and thou wilt do it faithfully.

But thou must seek this in prayer, ask it by love, embrace it by love, perform it with love.

My Child, prayer is the key of Heaven: nay more, prayer is the key of My Heart. With this
key open thou and enjoy all the treasures of My Heart.

8. The Voice of the Disciple.-----Everlasting thanks to Thee, Lord God, Creator and Redeemer of mankind, for Thy gratuitous and exceedingly great charity, whereby Thou didst create us men, in so wonderful a manner, and didst restore us still more wonderfully.

O Christ Jesus! Who, unutterably existing from eternity, as the Son of God, through an excess of Thy love for us, wast willing to become the Son of man; who will not love Thee in return? Who will not cling inseparably to Thee? Who will not live solely for Thee, to Whom he owes his all?

O delightful consolation! O wonderful sweetness! to behold the Son of God, the Son of a Virgin!

I adore thee, O Jesus, Son of the living God, Thee made flesh of Mary! I hope in Thee, O infinite goodness! I love Thee with my whole heart, O most loving and most lovable love! Thou art my way: Thou, my truth: Thou, my life.

Xavier

Quote from: Voice of Jesus, Imitation of the Sacred Heart, 1866THAT THE MOST SACRED HEART OF JESUS, BORN IN A STABLE,
TEACHES US HOLY POVERTY

1. The voice of  the Disciple.-----For Thee, Lord Jesus, for Thee, my heart longs: Thee, my soul seeks, whom she loves. Show me, I entreat Thee, where Thou dwellest.

The voice of Jesus.-----Come, My Child, and see. This shall be a sign to thee: thou shalt find Me poor, in a stable.

Hearken thou, and give heed to what My Heart may speak to thee.

The foxes have their holes, the birds of the air have their nests: but the Son of man has nowhere to recline His head.

Yet, My Child, the whole earth is Mine, and the fullness thereof. But, behold! when I was the richest, I became the poorest of all.

From the time I was born needy in the stable, until I breathed My last destitute upon the Cross, I lived ever in perfect poverty, and as I ever loved it as My mother, so I ever honored it as a Son.

And for what reason, thinkest thou, with what design does My Heart so lovingly embrace poverty?

Undoubtedly, My Child, because My Heart, filled as It is with humility and charity, cherishes these virtues most tenderly, and desires most ardently, by their means, to draw the hearts of men from
things earthly and perishable, and raise them aloft to that which is heavenly and everlasting.

2. Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven: blessed, for that they are free from the greatest obstacles to everlasting salvation: blessed, for that they possess a wholesome opportunity of practicing numberless virtues: blessed, lastly, because in their heart, they are conformed to Me.

My Child, to have nothing, nay, even to be in want, is not the virtue of poverty: but to keep the heart disengaged from the created things of the world; this constitutes the true virtue of poverty. For love of Me, to bid farewell to all things of earth, to possess nothing as one's own, to cling with the heart to no created object, is the perfection of the virtue of poverty. To this latter all are not called, but to the former all and every one must tend, insomuch, that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for anyone without it to enter the kingdom of Heaven. For, unless a man renounce, with the heart at least, all things, he cannot be My Disciple.

3. There is nothing more wicked than the love of money, for this love perverts the judgment, and misleads the heart: and, since all things obey money, he that loves it, blinded by its inordinate desire, sets his own soul for sale, so that he is ready to sell this immortal gift for a perishable object.

The Saints used the things of earth, with a heart free from them; amid the greatest wealth, they were poor in spirit.

Yet, there are not a few who allow the enemy of man's salvation to deceive them, by the appearance of what is good or right. That crafty foe strives to persuade men that riches or the abundance of the good things of earth,-----as they are indifferent in themselves, and may be usefully spent,-----can be coveted and sought after without danger.

But, whosoever suffers himself to be so deceived, soon discovers, that he has become entangled in the snares of the devil's artifices, that he is weighed down by troubles, darkness, perverse inclinations; that, whatever his state of life, he is unable to attain to its perfection; and that, finally, he imperils, in no small degree, his everlasting salvation.

4. My Child, if thou hast riches, set not thy heart upon them: for thou art a steward, rather than a master. With a heart disengaged from them, either renounce them altogether, if such be the Divine Will, or use them for My glory, and for the real benefit of thy soul.

Thou must be so disposed that, if it be My Will, thou shouldst renounce all things, or, if I suffer thee to be deprived of them, thou do willingly submit thyself to Me.

If thou art poor, rejoice, My Child, and be exceedingly glad: and lose not the fruit of so great a blessing, by suffering, repiningly, the efforts of poverty.

Be not ashamed of being in moderate, or even destitute circumstances, for My sake, Who was not ashamed of becoming destitute for thee: but rather glory, for that thou possessest what I purchased for Myself, by many and great humiliations.

5. Whether thou art needy, or rich, cherish holy poverty, and practice a virtue so dear to My Heart and so advantageous to thyself.

There is, indeed, no condition of life in which this virtue may and should not be practiced: frequent opportunities daily present themselves everywhere.

This great virtue may be exercised in regard to one's dwelling-place, furniture, food and drink; in short, the whole manner of living.

For, in all these things, either something is wanting, which is not really necessary; or, if not, it is not according to the desires of nature; or something may, without danger, be withdrawn from what is had for nature's convenience.

If thou lovest holy poverty in thy heart, as is proper, thou shalt not want means and opportunities of practicing the same.

How many poor there are who do not gather any merit from their poverty, but use it to make themselves more wretched, and to offend God! Would that they were wise! Then, instead of bitterness, they would taste sweetness, and sanctify themselves.

6. The name of the poor in spirit, who love and practice poverty,-----whether it arises from necessity or free choice,-----is honorable before Me. With them, I hold fellowship and intercourse; their heart is like a fertile soil, which receives the seed of My words, and brings forth fruit a hundred-fold.

Who is happier than the possessor of holy poverty, who has whatever he desires in this world? Who is richer than he, to whom belongs the kingdom of Heaven?

Do not then, My Child, neglect thy sanctification, for the sake of gathering treasures on earth: use thy endeavors principally to sanctify thyself, and thus to lay up treasures in Heaven.

Wheresoever the object of thy affections may chance to be, where thy treasure is, there also will be thy heart.

7. True it is, that for man, left to himself, it is very difficult to despise in his heart riches, and to practice poverty in deed, and in affection.

Thou shouldst, therefore, pray fervently, that Divine grace may help thee to perform that, which thy own strength does not enable thee to accomplish in a meritorious manner.

If thou perceivest within thyself feelings opposed to poverty, persevere in prayer, and beg the more fervently, even against thy inclinations. that grace may not spare those inordinate feelings, but root them out completely, until thy heart is altogether free, and looks solely to the Will and glory of God.

My Child, if once the affections of thy heart are well-ordered, thou wilt find, through Divine grace, the virtue of poverty not only easy, but even full of sweetness.

8. The voice of the Disciple.-----O sweet Jesus, Son of God! Thou holdest and swayest the whole universe: Thou didst adorn the heavens with glittering stars: Thou didst embellish the earth with wonderful splendor; and behold! here Thou reclinest in a poor stable, a Babe hardly covered with tattered clothes.

O how marvelous, how salutary are the disposings of Thy Heart! Who will not, after so great an example,-----which ravishes the very Angels,----- consider poverty lovely and desirable!

Good Jesus, Teacher of the Truth, and model of holy poverty! enlighten my mind, that I may understand the price of this virtue, and tear away my heart, even in spite of itself, from every inordinate affection for things created, lest, busied with various cares and desires, it become estranged from Thee.

Grant, I beseech Thee, that I may look upon all the things of time as speedily vanishing, and upon myself as passing away with them to things everlasting; allow me the use of the possessions of earth, only insomuch as they are means to guide me to heavenly possessions. Everything is Thine, O Lord: if, then, Thou desirest me to live in opulence, as the steward of Thy possessions, Thy Will be done: if Thou desirest me to be in poverty, a perfect follower of Thy life, again Thy Will be done.

Yet, so far as it is left to me, and as it is pleasing to Thee, I choose rather to be poor with Thee, O Jesus, the Son of God, than to be rich with the world: I prefer to possess the lasting blessings of poverty, rather than undergo the ceaseless dangers of riches.

I offer myself, therefore, to Thee, most benign Jesus, as a companion of Thy poverty: I implore Thee as such to receive me. If with Thee, I am contented: if I possess Thee, I am rich enough.

Xavier

THAT OF THE MOST SACRED HEART OF JESUS, PRESENTED IN THE TEMPLE,
WE SHOULD  LEARN TO HAVE IN ALL THINGS A RIGHT INTENTION

1. The voice of Jesus.-----My Child, when the days were accomplished, that they should present Me to the Lord, I offered Myself and all I had, to My heavenly Father, with a pure desire of pleasing Him.

Although, at My Incarnation, I had forever consecrated Myself and My whole life to My Father yet, I never omitted to dedicate to Him every particular action of My life, and keep in view His good
pleasure.

But, since a good intention is a matter of such importance in the interior life, that no one can be a true Disciple of My Heart without it, My Heart did not cease to show, teach, inculcate this by Its example. 

Look at My life from its beginning unto the end: did My Heart anywhere please Itself? Did It seek the glory of the world?

In all My life, Child, can be found no act arising from the mere impulse of human nature, none from mere custom, none from mere necessity, none, finally, whether great or small, which did not spring from the motive of fulfilling the Divine Will, of pleasing the Divine Majesty.

2. How happy he that has put on this sentiment of My Heart! he is ever useful to himself, ever dear to Me, his Saviour-God.

What is that which is acceptable to Me? The inward affection, rather than the outward act; the intentions of the heart, rather than the fulfillment of the work. What do I reward forever? The fruit of grace, whereby thou art moved to act, and wherewith thou co-operatest, not the effect of nature-----whereby thou art stirred up, or which thou followest.

My grace moves the Will to do whatsoever things are by Me directly or indirectly commanded or desired. These I wish to be so done, that they be supernaturally good and meritorious: wherefore, to
do them, I give an actual grace, without which they could not be supernaturally good and meritorious. If, then, thou art induced to act by My Will or good pleasure, know, that thou art moved by grace, a supernatural principle.

But the end or intention of thy will forms the species of the act. Such as is thy intention, such will be the act that follows.

If thou hast a right intention, thou wilt, before and above all, intend and seek My good pleasure, Me-----thy end and supreme Good.

It sometimes happens, that the primary intention of all action is right, but that a wrong secondary intention creeps in. When this occurs, the goodness of the action indeed is not wholly destroyed, but is lessened in part: and the actor becomes guilty of so much, as there has been of ill-regulated or evil will, in the vitiated intention.

Behold! My Child, I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end: therefore, all things must be derived from Me-----be referred to Me.

If, then, thou wouldst be blamed, when thou dost not refer them to Me; how much more so, if thou turnest them aside to thyself, or to My enemy the world?

3. A precious thing, a wonderful virtue, My Child, is a right intention, whereby actions, although natural and indifferent in themselves, when done by means of grace, become, supernatural and meritorious. A marvelous secret, whereby lead, and brass, and other metals, are changed into pure gold.

Beware, however, lest thou fall into that quite common delusion which makes men fancy that, by substituting a good intention, they can render meritorious a work or action undertaken, not by grace, or by My Will, but from the sole motive of nature, aversion or inclination, or from self-will alone.

Follow thou, with a right aim, everything begun according to My good pleasure.

Of what avail is a work, how great or praiseworthy soever it may outwardly appear, to him that does it without a right intention?

On the other hand, that which is done with a pure intention, how little and lowly soever it may seem, becomes excellent, and altogether beneficial.

4. Would that men knew and practiced this art of acting rightly! How easily could they merit a bright crown in Heaven!

There are those who work much and gain little; who busy themselves about everything; who attempt many and various things, but, in the end, find themselves with almost empty hands; because, like irrational creatures, they act without an end, or pursue an end ill-ordered and unworthy.

How many there are, who exchange the fruit of their labors for an empty breath of praise or admiration; wherewith they ever long to feed their weary and hungry heart!

Behold! how many there are, who make so much of the smoke of vain glory, that they buy it at a price by which they might purchase for themselves the kingdom of endless glory.

Is there not an endless number of such madmen: Take heed, My Child, lest thou be reckoned among them.

There are others who appear to be doing little, and yet deserve to become very holy; these are they who think, that he does enough, who does the Will of God.

5. My Child, when thou devotest thyself to Me in exercises of piety, thou must place, even above these practices themselves, the intention of doing My good pleasure. Thus, whether thou feel est consolation or desolation, thou shalt remain calm, gather certain fruit, and honor Me.

If thou art engaged in works of duty or charity toward thy neighbor, let Me be the end of those works; for thus it will happen, that thou shalt never fail of thy reward, and that thou shalt lose nothing of thy peace-----whether thy neighbor be or be not improved.

If thou hast in view no other object except My sole good pleasure, thou shalt be contented and happy in every event; because thou knowest that I do not demand of thee, and will not crown in thee, aught save only thy good efficacious will; and that success depends upon Me, Who orders all things according to infinite Wisdom.

By means of a pure intention, thou art enabled to remain undisturbed and tranquil amid hardships, distresses, yea amid temptations themselves; for, since purity of intention raises thee before Me above sensible things, thou needest not to be annoyed by what thou feelest against thy will.

Finally, My Child, whether thou art in action or at rest, whether thou laborest or divertest thyself, whether thou art watching or sleeping, whether thou eatest or drinkest; whether, in short, thou art doing aught else, do all things, to follow My good pleasure, to be acceptable to Me; and, behold! a great and ever-increasing amount of merits will accrue to thee.

6. In the morning, thou must daily make a general intention, whereby everything to be done or
suffered during that day, is directed to this last end, that, for love of Me, thou mayst accomplish My Will, and thus please Me. This good, this holy intention, will give life to all things that follow, and will virtually continue to add vigor to them.

It is also of the greatest importance to renew, during the day, thy good intention before every action; nay more, when it can be done conveniently, to renew the same during the action.

But to do all things with a right end, it will be of very great help, to foresee occasions of meriting, dangers of losing-----virtues to be practiced, snares of pride and self-love to be avoided.

One and the same action may be directed to several and different proximate ends, which, directly or indirectly, tend to the salvation of thy own soul, or of thy neighbor, or to My honor. Whence thou mayst acquire a great treasure of merits, of which they, who act with no aim of this kind, are deprived.

Moreover, every action may be made up of several virtues: as thou practicest as many virtues as
thou intendest, and as to every act of virtue corresponds a new degree of present grace and future glory, it is easy to see how important a matter is this holy intention.

But, My Child, thou must take care that these things be not done with anxiety, with injury to inward freedom, or with the loss of peace: for, so far from being useful, they would, on the contrary, be hurtful.
Remember, lastly, that, inspired by the spirit of the same intention that animated Me, thou oughtest to unite all thy actions and sufferings with Mine, if, as a Disciple of My Heart, thou art desirous of acting in a manner worthy of so high a vocation.

7. My Child, vain self-love is so subtle that it can easily assume any shape, and thrust itself into all things.

Whence it will happen, that, unless thou be cautious, thou mayst be animated and led by that spirit of self, rather than by My own. Nor does human light or prudence suffice to distinguish this, since neither can, of itself, discern things supernatural; but a light from above, and the Divine assistance are needed.

Wherefore, thou must pray without ceasing, that thou mayst be enlightened from Heaven; and beg
fervently that thou mayst be helped by grace, whereby thou art enabled to tend, rightly and singly, above all things to Me.

8. The voice of the Disciple.-----I pray and beseech Thee, Lord Jesus, Author of all good, give Thou light to my mind, love to my heart, strength to my whole being, that I may ever rightly accomplish what is pleasing to Thee.

Grant me true earnestness, a holy intention, that, in all things, I may do Thy good pleasure, without turning to the right or to the left.

Suffer not that, henceforth, I be so foolish as to lose the merit of my actions, for the sake of grasping an airy phantom; nor so undutiful as to snatch away the glory which belongs to Thee!

Pour into my heart, I implore Thee, the purity of Thy Heart, that I may, above all else, direct my thoughts to Thee, find Thee, and repose in Thee my God, my beginning and my end, the centre and rest of my soul.

Carleendiane

My family has consecrated each home we have lived in to the Sacred Heart. Thirty years ago We obtained a beautiful 4ft. statue of Jesus, heart exposed by the artist Da Prado. A real masterpiece found in a garage chock full of tabernacles, ciboriums, candelabras, icons and everything holy, stashed in wheelbarrows, scattered in flea market style. Enough to make a grown man weep. This statue was doomed to be smashed and trashed because it was taking up too much room. This garage was behind a "Catholic" shop in Cleveland Ohio.

We offered all we had to salvage this beauty, being poor, our limit was 100 dollars, lol. SOLD!!!!! We were ecstatic! He came home, became the focal point of every home we've owned since then. So for 30 years we have been devoted to His dear Heart! We have not been preserved from difficulties, pain, or sufferings. But our ability to endure retaining first the Faith, but also peace and joy in the face of daunting challenges. My family is not special, but we are especially blessed by this devotion!

Thank you Xavier! People can not imagine the work Our Lord will do in their lives. CD
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

PerEvangelicaDicta

Your story and others' of this nature, Carleendiane, are so moving.
And thank you for sharing your family devotion to enthronement of the Sacred Heart in your homes!

I keep this bookmarked for that purpose:
http://www.catholictradition.org/Two-Hearts/enthronement-3.htm
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Lynne

I'm the only practicing Catholic in my home and family. Does it still make sense to enthrone my home to the Sacred Heart?
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Carleendiane

Quote from: Lynne on June 22, 2018, 06:20:47 AM
I'm the only practicing Catholic in my home and family. Does it still make sense to enthrone my home to the Sacred Heart?

Lynne, I do believe the best thing you COULD do is to have Him enthroned in your home as long as hubby is not opposed. Consecrating  your home does not require all be devoted, but I am willing to bet ALL WILL be devoted in the future!  :pray3:
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.