Is there a filter available for the forum?

Started by Bernadette, September 15, 2016, 07:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Similar to the one available for Reddit (though for different reasons, obviously)?
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

clau clau

Quote from: Greg on September 16, 2016, 12:50:47 AM
Sarcasm.

you forgot dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and satire.
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Greg

You need click boxes in the filter.

Maybe in 10 years with AI it will come.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Bernadette

A filter to block out posts or thread titles containing certain words, to keep them from showing up. Not sure if it's possible on a regular forum.

Edit: The filter keeps the threads themselves from showing up, not just the words. It's really handy.
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Bernadette on September 16, 2016, 08:15:24 AM
A filter to block out posts or thread titles containing certain words, to keep them from showing up. Not sure if it's possible on a regular forum.

Ahh, no idea.  Never heard of such a thing for smf.  Might check the mods section in the smf support page.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on September 16, 2016, 08:15:24 AM

Edit: The filter keeps the threads themselves from showing up, not just the words. It's really handy.

Yes, this would be very useful.  :)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

clau clau

What is the kind of thing you would want to block ?  Profanity, obviously but wouldn't people just use alternatives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhyming_slang#History

If I tell somebody to "go forth and multiply" how are you going to filter that ?

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

Jayne

Can't a person ask a simple tech question without being harassed by Gaston and LeFou?  What busines does anyone other than KK have asking what she wants to filter?
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

clau clau

Jayne

Quote from: clau clau on November 18, 2016, 06:17:52 AM
I prefer Laurel and Hardy.

Then stop acting like Gaston and LeFou.

Greg does not need your help to take on Bernadette.  She tends to avoid conflict and likes Greg.  Greg does not even need your help to take on me.  I'm not going to hurt him.

He has always seemed to me to be a solo act.  Perhaps you should make sure that he wants a sidekick.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

clau clau

Quote from: Jayne on November 18, 2016, 06:23:55 AM

Greg does not need your help to take on Bernadette.  She tends to avoid conflict and likes Greg.  Greg does not even need your help to take on me.  I'm not going to hurt him.

He has always seemed to me to be a solo act.  Perhaps you should make sure that he wants a sidekick.

"When you compare the sorrows of real life to the pleasures of the imaginary one, you will never want to live again, only to dream forever."
? Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Bernadette

You're right, I do like Greg. :) Hi, Greg!  :seeya: And I like Clau Clau's Hillaire Belloc poems. And a little Shakespeare never hurts. And The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite books! Hey, I could just turn this into a "favorite things" thread, and have it moved to the Coffee Pot.  :P

About the filter: I figure it could be used for filtering out whatever one's particular hot-button issues are, thus removing the temptation to click on them. Because ignoring the thread title only works so often, and I'm weak.  :lol:
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on November 18, 2016, 10:25:18 AM

You're right, I do like Greg. :) Hi, Greg!  :seeya: And I like Clau Clau's Hillaire Belloc poems. And a little Shakespeare never hurts. And The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite books! Hey, I could just turn this into a "favorite things" thread, and have it moved to the Coffee Pot.  :P

About the filter: I figure it could be used for filtering out whatever one's particular hot-button issues are, thus removing the temptation to click on them. Because ignoring the thread title only works so often, and I'm weak.  :lol:

I really like the filtering idea too...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"