TV You're Watching

Started by piabee, August 02, 2013, 01:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piabee

The Winter Olympics. Men's half-pipe on Tuesday!

Habitual_Ritual

Idiot Abroad on Netflix. Pretty hilarious
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

piabee

With nothing new on tv I've gone back to season 2 of Veronica Mars. Half of that and season to get through before the movie!

Bernadette

I've been watching Victorian Farm and Edwardian Farm on youtube. Fantastic! I love this kind of historical reality series, especially these particular ones because the people are archaeologists and a historian, so they're interested in what they're doing and eager to explain it to their audience.
My Lord and my God.

drummerboy

Lots of boxing on Fox Sports, as well as the UFC fights on the weekends.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Maximilian

Quote from: Bernadette on February 19, 2014, 12:26:09 PM
I've been watching Victorian Farm and Edwardian Farm on youtube. Fantastic! I love this kind of historical reality series, especially these particular ones because the people are archaeologists and a historian, so they're interested in what they're doing and eager to explain it to their audience.

Thanks for this recommendation. Those series look great. I had never heard of them before your post. I've bookmarked it on Youtube for future viewing.

Bernadette

Quote from: Maximilian on February 19, 2014, 08:15:25 PM

Thanks for this recommendation. Those series look great. I had never heard of them before your post. I've bookmarked it on Youtube for future viewing.

If you're like me, you'll be interested in The Victorian Kitchen, The Victorian Kitchen Garden, and The Victorian Flower Garden, too. They follow a gardener and a cook who were employed before WWII, as they show the audience how to do the various jobs the way they were done in the old days. There's a Wartime Kitchen and Garden, too, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.
My Lord and my God.

Maximilian

Quote from: Bernadette on February 19, 2014, 10:05:45 PM

If you're like me, you'll be interested in The Victorian Kitchen, The Victorian Kitchen Garden, and The Victorian Flower Garden, too. They follow a gardener and a cook who were employed before WWII, as they show the audience how to do the various jobs the way they were done in the old days. There's a Wartime Kitchen and Garden, too, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

I'll keep an eye out for those as well.

Bernadette

Quote from: Maximilian on February 19, 2014, 10:27:15 PM

I'll keep an eye out for those as well.

Last night I discovered a farm series with the same people set in 1620, called Tales from the Green Valley. I think it was the first one done, because everyone seems younger and there's a different narrator. And to round off the series (and just in case you want to watch the shows in historical order) there's Tudor Monastery Farm, set in the reign of Henry VII, and Wartime Farm set in the 40s. They've pretty much covered the history of British agriculture, except for before the Plague.
My Lord and my God.

johnb104

I watch tv rarely, if I do it's sitting down with my family and watching Duck Dynasty or something. I'll watch some things on EWTN, like Venerable Archbishop Fulton Sheen or a movie.
Scribere proposui de contemptu mundano,
ut degentes seculi non mulcentur in vano.
Iam est hora surgere a sompno mortis pravo

Kaesekopf

Downton Abbey Season 4 below.

[spoiler]Saw the Downton Abbey Season Four Christmas special.  At least it ended on a happier note than last year!  Haha. 

I enjoyed the final episode.  It was nice to see the Bates plotline resolved (and in the manner it was - I think a lot of folks wanted Green dead.  I'm glad they tied up the Ivy line, as well.  She was somewhat of a bother and seemed only to serve as a female foil to Daisy's romance interests.  Thomas is, as usual, annoying, but someone has to drive the plot along and antagonize.  Mr Carson and Mrs Hughes was adorable.  I think Carson remains my favorite character in the series.  Tom needs to think a bit better about his actions, but it's not surprising a man doesn't think when he's interested in a woman. 

I'm not sure what they'll be up to next season.  There isn't any major plot point to be advanced, unless they're going to go on about Mary finding a husband.

Oh well.  I'll keep watching.  lol  [/spoiler]
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

moneil

I'm defiently going to have to check this out ... really want to get back into gardening and I love "historical reality" (for lack of a better phrase).

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 24, 2014, 01:13:34 AM
Downton Abbey Season 4 below.

[spoiler]Saw the Downton Abbey Season Four Christmas special.  At least it ended on a happier note than last year!  Haha. 

I enjoyed the final episode.  It was nice to see the Bates plotline resolved (and in the manner it was - I think a lot of folks wanted Green dead.  I'm glad they tied up the Ivy line, as well.  She was somewhat of a bother and seemed only to serve as a female foil to Daisy's romance interests.  Thomas is, as usual, annoying, but someone has to drive the plot along and antagonize.  Mr Carson and Mrs Hughes was adorable.  I think Carson remains my favorite character in the series.  Tom needs to think a bit better about his actions, but it's not surprising a man doesn't think when he's interested in a woman. 

I'm not sure what they'll be up to next season.  There isn't any major plot point to be advanced, unless they're going to go on about Mary finding a husband.

Oh well.  I'll keep watching.  lol  [/spoiler]

Me to.  Yeah, it will be interesting to see what they do with the Carson / Hughes connection in season five.  *spoiler altert*: consider the last season of the origional series of Upstairs /  Dowstairs ... they might go with that plot line, but yeah, it was cool (if they were real life acquaiteces I'd be wishing them well, they seem suited together).

I'm supposing Lady Mary will eventualy "hook it up" but I'm down for whatever.  My two fav characters remain the Dowager Countess and Tom the Irish chauffeur.  Maybe he will connect with the local school marm, but there were (in my none literary / artsey sense) some possibilities with Lady Edith, as least as "soul mates".

The Dowager Countess (Maggie Smith) IS NOT going to "hook up" with anybody (nor does she have any suitors at her age) but I LOVE her "attitude", LOL.  It i intriging to watch her interaction with Mrs. Crawley ... hope they continure to play on that in the nexe session.

Kaesekopf

Dowager Countess is just so terribly fun!  Her dialogue is also hilarious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The Harlequin King

Right now, I'm watching season 2 of House of Cards (the American remake on Netflix, though I've also seen a good bit of the British version from the '80s as well).

voxxpopulisuxx

Last resort....Roku box...Amazon prime.
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKwl6f4yFIs[/yt]
Thanks PHEO!
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.