What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

Quote from: Bernadette on September 21, 2022, 06:38:11 AM
Getting ready to start Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative. Three immense volumes.
I have the '74 version. All three in one book. Foote is quite good.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

Quote from: red solo cup on September 21, 2022, 09:46:21 AM
Getting ready to start Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative. Three immense volumes.
My goodness, I'm surprised the binding holds up!
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Quote from: Bernadette on September 21, 2022, 09:56:32 AM
Quote from: red solo cup on September 21, 2022, 09:46:21 AM
My goodness, I'm surprised the binding holds up!
Yes, the spine is starting to come away.

Prayerful

Michael Fewer, Battle of the Four Courts. He takes care to consult an artillery officer and has a very sure grasp of the layout of the Four Courts. His account also supports the idea that Churchill was something of a lunatic, offering artillery (in the wake of the assassination of Chief of the Imperial Staff, Longford man, tho Monkstown born, contrary to Wikipedia, Sir Henry Wilson) that would have been utterly reckless in a dense city environment. A simpler, smaller calibre artillery piece able to strafe the Four Courts and punch holes is used. One detail is that the British Army was still in the Royal Hospital Kilmainham, and notes details like how Armistice Day and other Empire festivals were still marked in the Phoenix Park a fair few decades after formal 26 country near independence in 1922. Also old firms like Fannins have a roll. Also touches like women pushing their pram past the artillery piece shelling the Four Courts, some inner city woman notably hostile to Republicans or Irregulars as in 1916 for wrecking the place, yet in instance a Republic gun man is anointed with holy water by a slum dweller. Also the women staff of the occupying Republic forces going for their lunch in nearby coffee shops while men went to pubs and drank with National Army men just waiting for orders.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Kaesekopf on August 30, 2022, 08:44:37 AM
I'm slowly meandering my way through Bram Stoker's Dracula.  It's interesting.  It's somehow both fast-paced and long.  :lol:

Besides that, I've also got a book checked out on the 1916 Easter Rising, under the same title 1916: Easter Rising by Tim Pat Coogan.

Finally picked Dracula back up and knocked the rest of it out.  Enjoyable book, but still maintains the "fast-paced" but also "long" description.  Big recommend on reading it, though.  Definitely worthwhile. 

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

clau clau

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Bernadette

Taking a break from The Civil War to read Peter Ackroyd's huge Dickens biography (which I borrowed from Internet Archive so I don't have to get out my print copy and stronger glasses. :))
My Lord and my God.

Christina_S

Read The Brothers Karamazov for the first time last month and it was (surprisingly) a much easier read than I expected. Also finished reading Crucial Conversations last week. Now we're on to Northanger Abbey.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

red solo cup

A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan. The failed Market-Garden campaign.

Angelorum

Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010 by Charles Murray

He basically predicted the Trump phenomenon in 2013.

"All men naturally desire to know, but what does knowledge avail without the fear of God? Indeed an humble peasant, that serves God, is better than a proud philosopher, who neglecting himself, considers the course of the heavens." - Thomas à Kempis, Imitation of Christ

martin88nyc

Just started Holiness and Happiness by Fr. Lasance and I already like his simple yet profound way of conveying the truths of living the life in God's grace. I'm also looking at two (PDF copies) of his prayer books, The Young man's guide and My prayer book. These are not just prayer books as many of you already know. The former is more like a practical guide for young men on how to overcome temptations and grow in virtue. Over 500 pages of reflections, counsels and introduction to certain aspects of faith and devotions plus 250 or so pages of traditional and indulgenced prayers. The latter is widely known among trads so I won't go into detail about the content of the book.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

martin88nyc

Quote from: Kaesekopf on September 25, 2022, 09:44:10 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on August 30, 2022, 08:44:37 AM
I'm slowly meandering my way through Bram Stoker's Dracula.  It's interesting.  It's somehow both fast-paced and long.  :lol:

Besides that, I've also got a book checked out on the 1916 Easter Rising, under the same title 1916: Easter Rising by Tim Pat Coogan.

Finally picked Dracula back up and knocked the rest of it out.  Enjoyable book, but still maintains the "fast-paced" but also "long" description.  Big recommend on reading it, though.  Definitely worthwhile.
Fast paced is what I remember mostly about it. Probably the most captivating book I've ever read. Once you start it you can hardly put it down. It was a real treat.
You find everything in that book. Drama, romance, horror, mystery, suspense, etc. even catholic element throughout. It's a multi genre book for all readers.
PS: I think this is one of the very few books that were never out of print.
BTW do you know of any similar fast paced and absorbing books?
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Kaesekopf

Quote from: martin88nyc on October 10, 2022, 09:30:51 PM
Fast paced is what I remember mostly about it. Probably the most captivating book I've ever read. Once you start it you can hardly put it down. It was a real treat.
You find everything in that book. Drama, romance, horror, mystery, suspense, etc. even catholic element throughout. It's a multi genre book for all readers.
PS: I think this is one of the very few books that were never out of print.
BTW do you know of any similar fast paced and absorbing books?

Yea, I felt the same.  Even in the "slow" sections (mostly the dialogue, to be honest) was pretty snappy.  I watched the Bela Lugosi Dracula and ended up setting the book down for a few weeks, but picked it back up and finished it pretty quick.  I did have a chuckle at the random Catholic elements, and how they were used.  I liked the effort.  :lol:

I do not know of similar fast-paced books.  I did just start and finish Dune by Frank Herbert in like under a week.  It was around 700 pages or so?  I couldn't put it down - I was pretty enthralled by the plot, the world, and some of the characters.  Looking forward to reading the rest in the series (but I've heard the rest of the books by F. Herbert aren't as good...), but between now and then, I've got some non-fiction (Catholic) stuff I want to read, and also Frankenstein - which I've never actually read.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

martin88nyc

I read about 25 pages of The young man's guide and so far I'm impressed. Not only does Fr. Lasance communicate the truths and wisdom of our faith but also gives great examples from the lives of saints and other great catholic figures. Now I see why he was blessed by Pope Pius XI. I highly recommend this prayer book. Good stuff. This is exactly what I was looking for. May modernism and its errors be vanquished by Our Lady of the Rosary.

Jacafamala

I have a bunch of things going...

The Ways of Mental Prayer by Vitalis Lehodey O.C.R.

St. Teresa of Avila, The Interior Castle

The Naked Communist, by L. Cleon Skousen (Audible)

The Bible in a year.

"I shall die with weapons in my hands."
-St Therese of Lisieux