Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

Quote from: Gardener on July 24, 2015, 10:02:32 AM
Quote from: red solo cup on July 24, 2015, 09:45:07 AM
Lawless with Shia LeBeouf. Very good. Based on a true story about the Bondurant brothers who ran moonshine in Virginia during Prohibition. There was one scene in a church who I think are Old Order German Baptist. They had a way of raising a hand to either mark time or to note where they were in the hymn.
Plus they washed each others feet. Kind of interesting. You can see the scene on YouTube under "Do Not I love Thee" from Lawless.

The hand-raising is for keeping time. It's used in congregational shape-note/four-square singing, usually from the hymnal "Sacred Harp".

It's fascinating stuff, primarily from the South -- but it's caught on around the world.

I think it first came to the public awareness in Cold Mountain on a larger scale.

Here's a trailer for a documentary about it:
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHUfHNEZDPc[/yt]

The shape-note convention is fascinating, since one does not need notation paper to write it down. One can simply write out a line and a shape above it, and it's instantly readable in a moveable-do manner (meaning, not fixed do). It's analogous to chant in this regard.
Yep that's it. It IS an interesting sound. Thanks.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Arun

Lawless with Shia LeBeouf. Very good. Based on a true story about the Bondurant brothers who ran moonshine in Virginia during Prohibition. There was one scene in a church who I think are Old Order German Baptist. They had a way of raising a hand to either mark time or to note where they were in the hymn.
Plus they washed each others feet. Kind of interesting. You can see the scene on YouTube under "Do Not I love Thee" from Lawless.

i remember seeing that movie couple years back. quite a good one eh.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Gardener

Paul Blart Mall Cop 2. Was clean. Kevin James is absurd as ever.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Arun

Quote from: Gardener on July 27, 2015, 09:13:35 PM
Paul Blart Mall Cop 2. Was clean. Kevin James is absurd as ever.

i really liked that Here Comes the Boom one he was in. Mayhem Miller was hilarious in that too, and Bas as always.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

AngloFalcon

Watched about an hour of Shooting Dogs - a film about a Catholic school during the Rwandan genocide of 1994. Excellent performances from all the actors, and very moving and powerful footage. Stopped halfway through though because sadly they misused Our Lord's name as an exclamation (just when it was getting really good  >:(), which I do not agree with, and for this reason I can't recommend it.  :(

Ho-hum. Back to mediocre movies about non-real epic heroes running around in silly, multicoloured tights.

Actually, nah. Back to reading.

Arun

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-BExc9SS68[/yt]

i got this the day it came out, it's a good watch. Chris Haueter says some really cool stuff on here that stood out a lot for me.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Chestertonian

Quote from: Gardener on July 24, 2015, 10:02:32 AM

The hand-raising is for keeping time. It's used in congregational shape-note/four-square singing, usually from the hymnal "Sacred Harp".

It's fascinating stuff, primarily from the South -- but it's caught on around the world.

I think it first came to the public awareness in Cold Mountain on a larger scale.

Here's a trailer for a documentary about it:
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHUfHNEZDPc[/yt]

The shape-note convention is fascinating, since one does not need notation paper to write it down. One can simply write out a line and a shape above it, and it's instantly readable in a moveable-do manner (meaning, not fixed do). It's analogous to chant in this regard.
there are sacred harp singing groups here in nyc
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Larry

The Big Heat with Glenn Ford, Gloria Grahame, and Lee Marvin. Incredible movie from beginning to end.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Arun

over the weekend we had somebody's external hard drive on loan so we watched quite a few movies. saw Paul Blart 2, not too bad. Black Sea which was pretty good. Big Ass Spider which was stupid. Home which was kind of ok. Rise, an Aussie film which is a true story about a guy falsely accused of rape who serves time in a maximum security prison; actually a very good movie, strong representation of Faith in it (although it's not explicitly Catholic which does detract from it hugely, but still better than many other films). Tomorrowland which was a snoozefest, i couldn't even sit through it.

last thing i watched was a short documentary called Slipknot Audiobiography... kinda sad that my favourite of their albums is considered the worst album by most of the band members... Clown said he hated it, it was a piece of crap... hahaha. it's quite amazing to see how positive the mission and message of the band and their music actually is, especially given people listen to them or see them and immediately start labelling them as "negative"...

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

red solo cup

Equilibrium with Christian Bale and Sean Bean. It's the future where feelings and emotions have been outlawed as the cause of wars and strife. The whole thing was pretty bad. Didn't even finish watching it.

piabee

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. My friend had some ridiculous Netflix criteria that a movie had to be more than three starts and only an hour and a half. She actually has the DVD and we used to watch it all the time. I wonder how Netflix knew...

Quote from: red solo cup on August 03, 2015, 05:06:32 AM
Equilibrium with Christian Bale and Sean Bean. It's the future where feelings and emotions have been outlawed as the cause of wars and strife. The whole thing was pretty bad. Didn't even finish watching it.

BLASPHEMY. Great movie.

red solo cup

Quote from: piabee on August 03, 2015, 12:43:07 PM
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. My friend had some ridiculous Netflix criteria that a movie had to be more than three starts and only an hour and a half. She actually has the DVD and we used to watch it all the time. I wonder how Netflix knew...

BLASPHEMY. Great movie.
Don't get exited. Have you taken your Prosium today?

AngloFalcon

Good grief man! How could you say a thing like that?!  :madsmiley: