Spacing between sentences

Started by Kaesekopf, February 14, 2013, 10:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerrorDæmonum

Again, you can change that in your browser.

Web pages do not send typefaces...they merely state (sometimes) what typeface should be used in plain text. My site, for one, does not define any typeface or family. It is all based on browser settings how it looks to any individual: http://nonpeccabis.com/

If you tell me what browser you use, I can find the documentation for the settings for this.

Greg

I would like to dictate everything to my sexy Swedish secretary and let her worry about spaces.

Until then I will have to make do with the Dragon.

(Software, not my wife)
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on February 16, 2013, 03:55:40 AM
Quote from: Irenaeus G. Saintonge on February 16, 2013, 03:10:19 AM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on February 16, 2013, 12:05:32 AM
I'm still slow to read san serif on a screen, especially huge blocks of it.  So ugly.
Research indicates that, on computer screens, you have to work harder to read a serif font. Even if you are not aware of it.
That is true about a lot of aspects of typesetting and webpage layouts. 99% of it goes completely unnoticed.

I'm very trained to serif fonts I guess, prob because I've done so much paper reading -- and because serif is standard manuscript and essay format, so all my proof-reading (both in my school days and now as a writer) is serif.  I always miss typos in san serif fonts, both mine and other peoples.

Serif fonts are undeniably easier to read on paper. The difference is because of the computer screen, which is not too friendly with serifs. :P
"This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. "
Jn:21:24

????????????

Spooky

I was taught 2 spaces between sentences in typing class. However, this was also when we still used paper. In typewriters.

****I'm not really here****

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: Spooky on February 16, 2013, 06:21:34 PM
I was taught 2 spaces between sentences in typing class. However, this was also when we still used paper. In typewriters.

****I'm not really here****

It was correct back then.  :D
"This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. "
Jn:21:24

????????????

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Pæniteo on February 16, 2013, 07:28:04 AM
Again, you can change that in your browser.

Web pages do not send typefaces...they merely state (sometimes) what typeface should be used in plain text. My site, for one, does not define any typeface or family. It is all based on browser settings how it looks to any individual: http://nonpeccabis.com/

If you tell me what browser you use, I can find the documentation for the settings for this.

Internet Explorer.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

FaithByProxy

Quote from: kayla_veronica on February 14, 2013, 12:06:37 PM
I was taught one space...I think...but I also use the caps lock button instead of the shift key for capital letters. My boss made fun of me for days after he saw that.

Are you me? I never met anyone else who uses the caps lock instead of the shift key. It doesn't slow my typing down at all.
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.

Penelope

Quote from: FaithByProxy on February 17, 2013, 08:07:08 PM
I was taught one space...I think...but I also use the caps lock button instead of the shift key for capital letters. My boss made fun of me for days after he saw that.

Are you me? I never met anyone else who uses the caps lock instead of the shift key. It doesn't slow my typing down at all.

A friend who I grew up with did this. I suspect she still does.

Ben

Quote from: Penelope on February 17, 2013, 08:08:29 PM
Quote from: FaithByProxy on February 17, 2013, 08:07:08 PM

A friend who I grew up with did this. I suspect she still does.

I did that until a few months ago, when I became accustomed to the shift key due to a touch typing course. As a teacher, Penelope, I would think you are a fast typist.

Penelope

I'm really not. I'm slow and inaccurate as a typist.