Spacing between sentences

Started by Kaesekopf, February 14, 2013, 10:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerrorDæmonum

I only can type in Hanzi (Chinese) and there is no space between words. The two space convention does not make sense without single spacing between words on a monospace typeface.

I imagine Kanji is similar enough to Hanzi in this regard.

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

For English, one space.
Two spacing is a relic of typewriters and earlier periods of typesetting, and is completely obsolete with the ubiquity of variable spaced fonts. Essentially all professional typesetters, style experts, and editors disdain the two spacing with a variable spaced font.
"This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. "
Jn:21:24

????????????

Lateran

Troubling! Ten people in error on the poll.

Clearly Rule #1 has been violated  :cry:

;D ;D

Vetus Ordo

DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Irenaeus G. Saintonge on February 15, 2013, 04:09:21 AM
For English, one space.
Two spacing is a relic of typewriters and earlier periods of typesetting, and is completely obsolete with the ubiquity of variable spaced fonts. Essentially all professional typesetters, style experts, and editors disdain the two spacing with a variable spaced font.

Someone needs to tell this to those of us who are over 45. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on February 15, 2013, 10:45:45 AM
For English, one space.

I understand that many people learned it the old way, and that the habit may be too hard to break. :)
It is still wrong though. ;)
"This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. "

????????????

TerrorDæmonum

For English, one space.

"Correct style with unanimous support from all in the field professional and academic, prescribe one space between sentences."

OCLittleFlower

For English, one space.

And those of us who had teachers who learned on typewriters and then taught us to use computers.  I'm 24 and was taught two spaces in three schools and two colleges.  Including a college level typography class, where the textbook stated that san-serif fonts are hard to read for large blocks of text, yet all the text was in a san-serif font.  If we change anything type-wise around here, we should switch to a serif font.   :P
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Kaesekopf

Oh man this is a sans-serif font.

All of a sudden I am less-pleased.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 15, 2013, 03:17:17 PM
Oh man this is a sans-serif font.

All of a sudden I am less-pleased.

It's been bugging me all along.  I DETEST san-serif though.  So modernist.   :tongue:

TerrorDæmonum

Sans serif typefaces are better for computer displays. All web content should be sans serif.

However, typefaces are something one can set in one's browser. That is a matter of style.

If one wants serif typefaces, that is easy to set for oneself.

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: Pæniteo on February 15, 2013, 03:25:45 PM
Sans serif typefaces are better for computer displays. All web content should be sans serif.

However, typefaces are something one can set in one's browser. That is a matter of style.

If one wants serif typefaces, that is easy to set for oneself.

This is correct. Sans-serif for stuff meant to be read on a computer screen. Serif if you are going to print it out.

????????????

OCLittleFlower

I'm still slow to read san serif on a screen, especially huge blocks of it.  So ugly.

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on February 16, 2013, 12:05:32 AM
I'm still slow to read san serif on a screen, especially huge blocks of it.  So ugly.
Research indicates that, on computer screens, you have to work harder to read a serif font. Even if you are not aware of it.
That is true about a lot of aspects of typesetting and webpage layouts. 99% of it goes completely unnoticed.

????????????

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Irenaeus G. Saintonge on February 16, 2013, 03:10:19 AM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on February 16, 2013, 12:05:32 AM
Research indicates that, on computer screens, you have to work harder to read a serif font. Even if you are not aware of it.
That is true about a lot of aspects of typesetting and webpage layouts. 99% of it goes completely unnoticed.

I'm very trained to serif fonts I guess, prob because I've done so much paper reading -- and because serif is standard manuscript and essay format, so all my proof-reading (both in my school days and now as a writer) is serif.  I always miss typos in san serif fonts, both mine and other peoples.