Question About The Brown Scapular

Started by bben15, January 18, 2014, 07:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Crowley

Quote from: LouisIX on January 19, 2014, 08:58:15 PM
Also, this is an official warning.  It's one thing to disagree with a moderator, but you're being very disrespectful and hostile to Penelope.  Similar infractions will result in a one day ban.
Penelope is being very disrespectful and hostile toward me.

Please check yourself.

Mr.Crowley

Quote from: LouisIX on January 19, 2014, 08:54:07 PM
Your definition of "Talmudism" would make the entire Code of Canon Law Talmudistic.  The Faith is not legalistic, but that doesn't mean there are no rules.

The law is made for man, not man for the law.

LouisIX

If you think a moderator is being disrespectful to you then PM the moderators and/or KK.  Don't volley back.

But, for the record, I haven't seen anything that she's written which is disrespectful to you.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

LouisIX

Quote from: Mr.Crowley on January 19, 2014, 09:37:34 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on January 19, 2014, 08:54:07 PM
Your definition of "Talmudism" would make the entire Code of Canon Law Talmudistic.  The Faith is not legalistic, but that doesn't mean there are no rules.

The law is made for man, not man for the law.

I've never said otherwise.  Does that mean that one doesn't really need to go to Mass every Sunday?  One doesn't really need to be a Catholic or be in the state of grace to receive the Eucharist? 
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Mr.Crowley

Quote from: LouisIX on January 19, 2014, 09:38:04 PM
If you think a moderator is being disrespectful to you then PM the moderators and/or KK.  Don't volley back.

But, for the record, I haven't seen anything that she's written which is disrespectful to you.

You would say that. The clique always stick together. Whatever, I'm out of this place. There's a few angry, bitter people that just have to ruin it by arguing. Ye can't deal with the fact that somebody disagrees with you.

You people are NOT the Holy Catholic church and have no right to pontificate, teach or judge any other Catholic.

LouisIX

Quote from: Mr.Crowley on January 19, 2014, 09:40:19 PM

You would say that. The clique always stick together. Whatever, I'm out of this place. There's a few angry, bitter people that just have to ruin it by arguing. Ye can't deal with the fact that somebody disagrees with you.

You people are NOT the Holy Catholic church and have no right to pontificate, teach or judge any other Catholic.

Well, I'm sorry that you're leaving, but no, you don't have the right to disrespect the forum and the moderation.  This is KK's site.  A certain level of respect would just be courteous.

No one here claims to be the Catholic Church, but the Church's teachings are not some amorphous or Gnostic doctrines.  We as lay Catholics can and do know the basics of what the Church teaches.  We can look to the teachings of the Magisterium or canon law.  And if you post something here that is wrong (according not to us but to the teaching authority of the Church) then we have a certain duty to correct you in charity.  I truly do not believe that Penelope or myself were disrespectful to you.  We were steadfast in our disagreement with you, but it was done in true charity.

And you were warned for how you were speaking to Penelope, not even for disagreeing with us.

Spooky

QuoteYou would say that. The clique always stick together. Whatever, I'm out of this place. There's a few angry, bitter people that just have to ruin it by arguing. Ye can't deal with the fact that somebody disagrees with you.

And the Award for Least Self-Awareness goes to...

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Mr.Crowley on January 19, 2014, 09:40:19 PM

Good riddance to bad rubbish!
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Penelope

Well, I think it's time for this thread to be locked. bben, if you're still reading this (and if so, God bless you) and you still have questions, first be sure to ask a traditional priest. Shoot him an e-mail or call him on the phone if you have to. But also feel free to create more threads and ask us, too. We'll point you in the right direction as best we can and help you find traditional sources to help answer those questions.

Archer

Quote from: Mr.Crowley on January 19, 2014, 08:22:00 PM
What do you mean 'catechized' though? To what extent is that needed? Priests spend years in seminary learning theology and stuff. Are we all supposed to have that level of training? I don't think most people have the time to take that up.

Is a seven year old to show a deep understanding of transubstantiation before she can receive communion? What does intellectual capacity have to do with the faith?

You need to read your history as well as your catechism.  St. John Vianney prevented many of the children in his community from receiving the sacraments because they hadn't memorized their catechism well enough. Some of them had to wait well into their teenage years to receive communion, which as you can imagine, was embarrassing in a small town. 

He certainly wasn't the only Priest to expect this.  St. Bernadette was publicly rebuked by her parish priest because she didn't know her catechism, and Blessed Jacinta Marto was refused her first communion by her priest (despite technically receiving it from an angel) because she didn't know hers. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney