New here...

Started by EastWest7, February 13, 2014, 06:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mono no aware

Quote from: Jayne on February 18, 2014, 05:07:04 PMI do not recognize any of the music references in this thread and am not even completely sure that you all are talking about music.

Jayne, surely you've heard of Herman's Hermits.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Mono no aware

Excellent.  Danke schoen, mein Oberst!

The forum software forced me to reset my password, but otherwise it was a painless metamorphosis. "Kafka-esque."  :grin:

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Pon de Replay on February 18, 2014, 10:21:43 PM
Excellent.  Danke schoen, mein Oberst!

The forum software forced me to reset my password, but otherwise it was a painless metamorphosis. "Kafka-esque."  :grin:

It did.  Silly forum.  But it's something I can't control.  :(
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Jayne

Quote from: Pon de Replay on February 18, 2014, 10:06:06 PM
Quote from: Jayne on February 18, 2014, 05:07:04 PMI do not recognize any of the music references in this thread and am not even completely sure that you all are talking about music.

The name sounds familiar but I have a vague recollection of there being a cookie with a name like that.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Jayne on February 19, 2014, 01:59:24 PM

The name sounds familiar but I have a vague recollection of there being a cookie with a name like that.

I do not know if there was such a similarly-named cookie, or whether it predated the rock group or not.  Perhaps they named themselves after the cookie; the members of the group were, after all, very young.  Their singer, Peter Noone, was something like the Justin Beiber of the British Invasion scene.  They were only slightly less manufactured than their American counterparts, The Monkees.  But both groups had some halfway decent sugary-catchy songs, even if they didn't write them themselves.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFvXvfUF-Co[/yt]

Jayne

I think I have heard that song.  I googled and discovered that the cookies do not have a "Herman" in the them.  They are just hermit cookies.
QuoteIt's so easy to like Hermit Cookies, with their soft and chewy texture, their spicy flavor, and how they're loaded with raisins, dates, and nuts. The general consensus is that Hermit Cookies were so named because of how long they can be stored. This old fashioned 19th century cookie must have quite a few fans because on the American Food Holidays' calendar November 15th is National Spicy Hermit Cookie Day.

Read more: http://www.joyofbaking.com/HermitCookies.html#ixzz2to19pb94

EastWest7

Quote from: Pon de Replay on February 19, 2014, 02:18:05 PM
Quote from: Jayne on February 19, 2014, 01:59:24 PM

I do not know if there was such a similarly-named cookie, or whether it predated the rock group or not.  Perhaps they named themselves after the cookie; the members of the group were, after all, very young.  Their singer, Peter Noone, was something like the Justin Beiber of the British Invasion scene.  They were only slightly less manufactured than their American counterparts, The Monkees.  But both groups had some halfway decent sugary-catchy songs, even if they didn't write them themselves.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFvXvfUF-Co[/yt]

I'm old enough to have very fond memories of the British Invasion (saw the Beatles first Ed Sullivan Show performance on TV when I was 8), and always have like I'm Into Something Good by Herman's Hermits. Myself, I got very much into blues, jazz and R&B by the mid 60s, however, must admit that I went to two Peter Noone/Hermits shows  in the early 2000s and he was outstanding. I have a great deal of respect for the man.

Jayne

I daresay that listening to music is better for you than eating cookies anyhow.