Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprungli

Habitual_Ritual

Oblivion

Decent movie with a nice little twist . Great filmography and 80s style sound track. Could have done without Morgan Freeman though...
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

LouisIX

IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Adeodatus

After being told that it was the greatest western, and perhaps greatest movie, of all time, I tried watching Once Upon a Time in the West. It was total "rifiuto".

Cinematography is good, but it's not coextensive with film making, i.e. a good film needs more than cinematography (and score). Sure, I could put a camera in a desert and tell a craggy cowboy to ride from the horizon to the camera. Then I could set that 45 minute ride to a haunting orchestral score. Then I could have the cowboy halt his horse in front of the camera and make and hold a mean face for 10 minutes while I do a closeup.

But what would that be about? About the sweat and crusty nose hairs of a mean-faced cowboy?

I watched for an entire hour and there were only like 3 scenes. How long does it take to establish that the chick waits 20 minutes at the train station only to realize that no one is there to pick her up? Surely not an actual 20 minutes.

Not to mention that the first gun fight (about 15 minutes in) was so impossible that all the turgid "nose hair cam" stuff from the opening scene took on the character of a farce in retrospect.

To bleach my brain I re-watched Miller's Crossing. I don't even care for Gabriel Byrne but Albert Finney and John Turturro are fantastic in that one... and stuff actually happens.
¡Viva Cristo Rey!
Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai E?ad

Othmar

Quote from: Adeodatus on August 08, 2013, 03:32:52 PM
After being told that it was the greatest western, and perhaps greatest movie, of all time, I tried watching Once Upon a Time in the West. It was total "rifiuto".

Cinematography is good, but it's not coextensive with film making, i.e. a good film needs more than cinematography (and score). Sure, I could put a camera in a desert and tell a craggy cowboy to ride from the horizon to the camera. Then I could set that 45 minute ride to a haunting orchestral score. Then I could have the cowboy halt his horse in front of the camera and make and hold a mean face for 10 minutes while I do a closeup.

But what would that be about? About the sweat and crusty nose hairs of a mean-faced cowboy?

I watched for an entire hour and there were only like 3 scenes. How long does it take to establish that the chick waits 20 minutes at the train station only to realize that no one is there to pick her up? Surely not an actual 20 minutes.

Not to mention that the first gun fight (about 15 minutes in) was so impossible that all the turgid "nose hair cam" stuff from the opening scene took on the character of a farce in retrospect.
Are you familiar with other westerns. The movie makes a lot more sense when you get all the stabs it takes against other movies.

Gerard

Just saw Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

Good scene with Stanley Tucci as Dionysius the god of wine.  He's being punished by Zeus and each time he tries to pour a glass of wine, it instantly turns into water. 

Dionysius says in frustration, "You know, the Christians have a guy who can do this the other way around!  Now THAT's a God!"

LouisIX

Quote from: Gerard on August 08, 2013, 10:31:20 PM
Just saw Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

Good scene with Stanley Tucci as Dionysius the god of wine.  He's being punished by Zeus and each time he tries to pour a glass of wine, it instantly turns into water. 

Dionysius says in frustration, "You know, the Christians have a guy who can do this the other way around!  Now THAT's a God!"

Hah!  Excellent!  The connections between Our Lord and Dionysius are quite amazing and too extensive to be mere coincidence.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

piabee

Quote from: LouisIX on August 08, 2013, 01:44:46 AM
Quote from: piabee on August 08, 2013, 01:14:27 AM
The Conjuring. Why the title? Nothing was conjured.

Was it as good as advertised?  As scary as advertised?

They had some interesting tricks to ramp up the fear before the reveal. After that it felt silly, unless you're Catholic. I could have waited for the dvd but my friend really wanted to go. There were five people in the theater on a Wednesday night and we shared some jumps and laughs. It was fun.

Othmar

The Evil Dead remake. It was better than I expected, some of the changes they made worked really well. One certain scene did horrify me, which is something I generally only feel when I watch French horror movies.

The original trilogy will always have a special place in my heart, though.

LouisIX

Quote from: piabee on August 09, 2013, 03:50:02 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on August 08, 2013, 01:44:46 AM
Quote from: piabee on August 08, 2013, 01:14:27 AM
The Conjuring. Why the title? Nothing was conjured.

Was it as good as advertised?  As scary as advertised?

They had some interesting tricks to ramp up the fear before the reveal. After that it felt silly, unless you're Catholic. I could have waited for the dvd but my friend really wanted to go. There were five people in the theater on a Wednesday night and we shared some jumps and laughs. It was fun.

So it has a Catholic slant then?  That's the second time I've heard someone say something like that.

piabee

Quote from: LouisIX on August 09, 2013, 04:29:34 PM
So it has a Catholic slant then?  That's the second time I've heard someone say something like that.

The paranormal experts appear to be Catholic although it never says explicitly that they are. They also consult with a priest and contact the Vatican for permission. You know how people joke that they feel like they should genuflect when they pass the aisle in the movie theater? I have never had that urge, but I almost made the Sign of the Cross when they did in the movie. Haha

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Larry

Batman Returns. I've been on a superhero kick lately, I need to watch a serious movie again before my brain turns to complete mush.  :tongue:
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Larry

Batman Forever. A few good scenes, but it pretty much stinks. I won't bother with Batman and Robin.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross