Is it ok to do these things?

Started by TandJ, May 12, 2021, 11:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TandJ

Quote from: Daniel on May 13, 2021, 12:48:15 PM
Quote from: Melkor on May 12, 2021, 04:57:04 PM
Yeah...but we are talking about venial sins at best, faults most likely.

Probably. However, it seems to border on sinning against the fifth coimmandmanet... and I thought to sin against any of the ten commandments was automatically a mortal sin?

Not necessarily Daniel. Take stealing for example. There is grave theft and venial. Then the sabbath one can work under a couple hours and it will be a venial sin and it's mortal if there's more than that

Melkor

Quote from: Daniel on May 13, 2021, 12:48:15 PM
Quote from: Melkor on May 12, 2021, 04:57:04 PM
Yeah...but we are talking about venial sins at best, faults most likely.

Probably. However, it seems to border on sinning against the fifth coimmandmanet... and I thought to sin against any of the ten commandments was automatically a mortal sin?

If this is what you thought then no wonder you are so scrupulous. It's not true. Sin against the fifth Commandment could be eating a bit too much food. Definitely not mortal. Same goes for all the commandments.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Daniel

Quote from: TandJ on May 13, 2021, 01:06:12 PM
Not necessarily Daniel. Take stealing for example. There is grave theft and venial. Then the sabbath one can work under a couple hours and it will be a venial sin and it's mortal if there's more than that
Quote from: Melkor on May 13, 2021, 01:07:13 PM
If this is what you thought then no wonder you are so scrupulous. It's not true. Sin against the fifth Commandment could be eating a bit too much food. Definitely not mortal. Same goes for all the commandments.

Well I forget where I heard it. But on second thought, I could be remembering wrong. Maybe it was the seven dealy sins (not the ten commandments) that are all mortal sins.

I think gluttony is always a mortal sin. But by only eating a little too much, the sin is somehow diminished.

Likewise, stealing is always a mortal sin... but by stealing only a small amount of money the sin is somehow diminished.

(Which is really confusing. If it's always a mortal sin, why is it sometimes not a mortal sin? I guess maybe it's like how we say "all dogs are fourlegged", yet there are clearly some dogs who have lost a leg? But then how can we ever tell? It's not like you can look the sin in the face and be like, "Oh, that one's only venial")

Melkor

Daniel there is an excellent book called Hell: The Dogma of Hell, Illustrated Facts Taken From Profane and Sacred History plus How to Avoid Hell. It can be found on Amazon for about 15 dollars. This is an excellent source as it details all the mortal sins against each respective commandment. I highly recommend it if you are not sure which sins are mortal.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

TandJ

Wouldn't recommend that book for the scrupulous