St. John Cantius bites the dust

Started by james03, December 27, 2021, 08:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

QuoteCantius will remain Cantius as best it can

So it bit the dust.  They'll continue on, but they gave in and a drop of poison was injected.  They might last 10 years, but eventually they'll die.  They'll give in on altar girls and the other novelties of the vulgar rite.

Cupich is smart.  SJC is probably a cash cow for him and it provides half of his seminarians, so lessons the shame of his dying Diocese.  But people like Cupich and Bergoglio are Christ haters.  Cupich, or his successor will continue to constrict until it is dead.  The darkness can not abide by the light.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Kaesekopf

Quote from: lauermar on January 23, 2022, 03:33:19 PM
From today's Sunday bulletin for St. Peter's in Volo and SJC in Chicago:

Update on Traditionis Custodes at St. Peter's

When Pope Francis issued Traditionis custodes, some worried it might spell the end of the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius.

But let not your heart be troubled. We're not going anywhere.

We fully acknowledge that many of you have endured a heavy cross and have been preoccupied by confusion, uncertainty, and sadness. Each of us shared a great deal in
those emotions and we carried that same cross right alongside you.

So we are grateful that His Eminence Cardinal Blase Cupich has pledged to empower us to live our charism and to pursue our mission in accordance with his policy which implements the Holy Father's motu proprio.

This means that, for the foreseeable future, we will continue to offer the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass both in its Ordinary Form and the Extraordinary Form. We will continue to offer the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass both in its Ordinary Form and the Extraordinary Form. We will continue to pray ad orientem. We will continue to praise God and lift souls aided by our renowned Sacred Music program. And we will continue to cultivate a culture of beauty in the Archdiocese of Chicago and beyond. Cantius will remain Cantius as best it can, and we are committed to continuing our ministry with you to restore the sacred in all things.

The Canons Regular are just as committed to filial piety for the Archbishop of Chicago and the Bishop of Rome. In that spirit of unity, we will offer only the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass in its Ordinary Form, both in English and in Latin, on the first Sunday of each month, as well as on Holy Mother Church's major feasts of Christmas, Pentecost, and the Triduum of Easter. These liturgies will be celebrated as only the Canons Regular can—and as the Council fathers truly intended.

When the Canons Regular was founded more than thirty years ago, our beloved church was on the verge of closing. It wasn't evident to many then that our charism and our mission would be effective—many doubted us. Yet, with God's good grace, St. John Cantius Church has come to be a bright beacon of beauty, a growing gathering place, and a model for many in our universal church and beyond. Along the way, we've weathered much together. And still today it may seem like we are sinking in the storm. But if we, like Peter, cry out for Jesus to save us, we'll discover our Lord's hand was outstretched all along.

Today we remain—and are perhaps ever more so—committed to our charism, to our mission, and to each and every one of you.
?----??-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So there's no biting dust. The Canons did it right. They tried to pray, reason, and accept whatever happens.

In contrast, the pastor at nearby St. Stanislaus Kostka publicly condemned it, and was called to the carpet. He had to apologize and retract or lose his faculties, mabe face church closure. He issued a retractment.
[emoji38]

Yes, I heard that read from the pulpit last Sunday by the rather effeminate Fr Caswell. 

Perfectly crafted by a skilled HR person. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Goldfinch on January 23, 2022, 05:32:04 PM
Today we remain—and are perhaps ever more so—committed to our charism, to our mission, and to each and every one of you.

It's quite telling that saying the apostolic mass of the Roman rite has been demoted to a "charism" rather than being the very raison d'être of every parish and every religious order.
Their charism is sacred music and a nice Novus Ordo - they admit as much.

If people acknowledged that and stopped treating them like they are traditionalists, I wouldn't spill so much ink.  [emoji38]

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Kaesekopf

Quote from: BlueInGreen on January 16, 2022, 11:36:22 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 29, 2021, 04:01:12 PM
Quote from: lauermar on December 28, 2021, 10:57:10 AM
Yeah, just keep on waiting for hell to freeze over. You'd rather deny than be aware of the marches downtown and the pro-life teens standing all day in the freezing cold in DC just like Nicholas Sandman. My daughter was one of them during her high school years.

That church will still be standing long after some of you have left it. Francis has tempted me to leave many times, but as of right now I'm staying.

Lauermar, you're one of the more histrionic posters here, so I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded? 

Besides, what have those marches downtown wrought?  Chicago is still a leftist haven.

I think that's an entirely uncharitably response. You may think pro-life marches are a waste of time, where nothing comes of them, but then again I can say what good is the existence of a Catholic Church in X or Y liberal city since X and Y cities will continue to be socially liberal havens for years to come. To equal that, I can say what good is the Catholic Church in general when people leave and mock it, or for the existence of atheists till to their deathbed. C'mon, be fair.

A number of these responses on Cantius are also unfair. I take many here are not familiar with St. John Cantius, let alone have been to the church.

You can think all the erroneous opinions you want - you're still wrong at the end of the day.

Prolife marches are an utter waste of time and money.  They achieve nothing.   Conservatives think that they are signs of political power - they are not. The Left wins because their marches are an extension of their power, not the end-all be-all of their power.  That sort of mentality is why the socially liberal cities remain havens of liberal-ness.  There is no real pushback, there is no real action to fight.   

I've been to Cantius, I'm familiar with the church and it's mission and it's Canons Regular. 

They should've fought, like men.  Instead, they rolled over.  Oh well. 

GaudeMariaVirgo

QuoteCupich is smart.  SJC is probably a cash cow for him and it provides half of his seminarians, so lessons the shame of his dying Diocese.

Cupich has publicly said as much, that SJC brings in tons of collections and that it's a big financial boon to the Diocese. In the short term, at least, he won't want to jeopardize that. In the long term, depending on what kind of political position he's angling for, I don't know.

If Cantius were to introduce altar girls and liturgical novelties, that might very well be the death of the parish. I don't think most of its parishioners would abide it, including the large, prominent and financially generous families in the area who are very loyal to the parish's unique culture. The "restriction" of the TLM is another matter; Cantius promotes itself as more of a conservative "hybrid" church than strictly "Traditional" as such, and most parishioners don't mind the NO as long as it meets certain conditions, such as: use of the Roman Canon, facing Ad Orientem, use of Gregorian Chant/incense/proper vestments, preferably said in Latin, no altar girls or liturgical novelties of any kind. If any of those conditions of the NO are violated, it's really going to mess up the culture of the parish and that's when we might start seeing people leave.

QuoteIn contrast, the pastor at nearby St. Stanislaus Kostka publicly condemned it, and was called to the carpet. He had to apologize and retract or lose his faculties, mabe face church closure. He issued a retractment.

Interestingly, St. Stan's (while not offering Latin Masses or Latin NOs) also attempted to create more of a "culture of reverence" in the N.O. by exclusively facing ad orientem and using proper vestments. To my knowledge, they didn't use altar girls either. Cupich cracked down harder on them and forbade them from facing ad orientem, despite giving Cantius special permission -- that may have generated part of the pastor's condemnation. I'm curious about Cupich's financial/political motivation, granting this permission to Cantius while denying it to St. Stan's and effectively destroying their liturgical style.

We are Trads and attend TLMs, but it still grieves me to see this being done to a N.O. parish like St. Stan's, which is a very beautiful and important church in Chicago (Cantius actually began as an "overflow" parish from St. Stan's, back in the glory days of Polish Catholicism in the city). It's telling that these creeps feel the need to crack down on any semblance of reverence even in the N.O.

james03

QuoteIf Cantius were to introduce altar girls and liturgical novelties, that might very well be the death of the parish.

Yep.  It's the pepperoni strategy, one small slice at a time.  Here, just agree to canceling just a few of your TLMs.  That's all I'm asking.  It's a win-win.  I keep Bergoglio off your back and I look good.  I'm not asking for much. (So spoke the demon that possesses Cupich).

Give it 5-10 years, and they'll have the altar girls.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Goldfinch

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 23, 2022, 06:26:10 PM
Quote from: Goldfinch on January 23, 2022, 05:32:04 PM

It's quite telling that saying the apostolic mass of the Roman rite has been demoted to a "charism" rather than being the very raison d'être of every parish and every religious order.
Their charism is sacred music and a nice Novus Ordo - they admit as much.

If people acknowledged that and stopped treating them like they are traditionalists, I wouldn't spill so much ink.  [emoji38]

I'm afraid that if the modernists in Rome continue to run the show for a few more decades, even believing that Jesus Christ is God and died for our sins will be just a "charism" among many others.
"For there are no works of power, dearly-beloved, without the trials of temptations, there is no faith without proof, no contest without a foe, no victory without conflict. This life of ours is in the midst of snares, in the midst of battles; if we do not wish to be deceived, we must watch: if we want to overcome, we must fight." - St. Leo the Great

Ragnarok

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 23, 2022, 06:30:20 PM
Prolife marches are an utter waste of time and money.  They achieve nothing.   Conservatives think that they are signs of political power - they are not. The Left wins because their marches are an extension of their power, not the end-all be-all of their power.  That sort of mentality is why the socially liberal cities remain havens of liberal-ness.  There is no real pushback, there is no real action to fight.   

A voice of sanity in the wilderness.

Xavier

St. John Cantius Parish is the Hope of Catholic Tradition. I Pray Every Catholic Parish in the World - Over 400,000 Catholic Priests Worldwide offering 400,000 Catholic Masses daily, more than the 86,400 Seconds every Day, there are 5 Catholic Masses EVERY SECOND, WOW! - will offer at least One Traditional Mass at a minimum weekly by the Year of Our Lord 2033 A.D. like St. John Cantius Parish does.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

lauermar

It is not histrionic to have zeal for the faith, prolife causes and support for the Canons Regular. If you have a problem with zeal, than pick up a book on the saints. If Margaret Mary were alive you'd say she's histrionic too.
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

GaudeMariaVirgo

I agree, this isn't an "us vs. them" issue. Diocesan "hybrid" parishes (which, in most cases, are probably only "hybrid" because they must follow certain Diocesan rules) deserve our support as much as the TLM-only ones in the SSPX or ED communities. We love Cantius and were proud to be parishioners there when we still lived in town. I wish all Diocesan parishes would follow its example. Unfortunately, being a Diocesan parish under this current hierarchy will render a parish vulnerable to certain... "authorities" who seek to undermine the Latin Mass. That said, I do think we need more Diocesan parishes like SJC if we want a serious shot at restoring the TLM for ALL Catholics, and not being seen as an "alternative society/movement" within the Church. Which, of course, is Francis's whole aim with TC -- the Latin Mass was gaining a *little* too much legitimacy in prominent, "mainstream" Diocesan parishes, and he wants to marginalize it again and limit its exposure to NO-goers.

Markus

Quote from: Xavier on January 26, 2022, 07:30:47 PM
St. John Cantius Parish is the Hope of Catholic Tradition. I Pray Every Catholic Parish in the World - Over 400,000 Catholic Priests Worldwide offering 400,000 Catholic Masses daily, more than the 86,400 Seconds every Day, there are 5 Catholic Masses EVERY SECOND, WOW! - will offer at least One Traditional Mass at a minimum weekly by the Year of Our Lord 2033 A.D. like St. John Cantius Parish does.

You are crazy!

Goldfinch

Quote from: Xavier on January 26, 2022, 07:30:47 PM
St. John Cantius Parish is the Hope of Catholic Tradition.

You cannot be the "hope of Catholic Tradition" and say the NOM.
"For there are no works of power, dearly-beloved, without the trials of temptations, there is no faith without proof, no contest without a foe, no victory without conflict. This life of ours is in the midst of snares, in the midst of battles; if we do not wish to be deceived, we must watch: if we want to overcome, we must fight." - St. Leo the Great

trentcath

Quote from: lauermar on January 23, 2022, 03:33:19 PM
From today's Sunday bulletin for St. Peter's in Volo and SJC in Chicago:

Update on Traditionis Custodes at St. Peter's

When Pope Francis issued Traditionis custodes, some worried it might spell the end of the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius.

But let not your heart be troubled. We're not going anywhere.

We fully acknowledge that many of you have endured a heavy cross and have been preoccupied by confusion, uncertainty, and sadness. Each of us shared a great deal in
those emotions and we carried that same cross right alongside you.

So we are grateful that His Eminence Cardinal Blase Cupich has pledged to empower us to live our charism and to pursue our mission in accordance with his policy which implements the Holy Father's motu proprio.

This means that, for the foreseeable future, we will continue to offer the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass both in its Ordinary Form and the Extraordinary Form. We will continue to offer the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass both in its Ordinary Form and the Extraordinary Form. We will continue to pray ad orientem. We will continue to praise God and lift souls aided by our renowned Sacred Music program. And we will continue to cultivate a culture of beauty in the Archdiocese of Chicago and beyond. Cantius will remain Cantius as best it can, and we are committed to continuing our ministry with you to restore the sacred in all things.

The Canons Regular are just as committed to filial piety for the Archbishop of Chicago and the Bishop of Rome. In that spirit of unity, we will offer only the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass in its Ordinary Form, both in English and in Latin, on the first Sunday of each month, as well as on Holy Mother Church's major feasts of Christmas, Pentecost, and the Triduum of Easter. These liturgies will be celebrated as only the Canons Regular can—and as the Council fathers truly intended.

When the Canons Regular was founded more than thirty years ago, our beloved church was on the verge of closing. It wasn't evident to many then that our charism and our mission would be effective—many doubted us. Yet, with God's good grace, St. John Cantius Church has come to be a bright beacon of beauty, a growing gathering place, and a model for many in our universal church and beyond. Along the way, we've weathered much together. And still today it may seem like we are sinking in the storm. But if we, like Peter, cry out for Jesus to save us, we'll discover our Lord's hand was outstretched all along.

?----??-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So there's no biting dust. The Canons did it right. They tried to pray, reason, and accept whatever happens.

In contrast, the pastor at nearby St. Stanislaus Kostka publicly condemned it, and was called to the carpet. He had to apologize and retract or lose his faculties, mabe face church closure. He issued a retractment.

Well, that's the end of that then. They really just are "smells and bells catholicism" and nothing else.