St. John Cantius bites the dust

Started by james03, December 27, 2021, 08:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stanley

Beginning on January 25, 2022, on the first Sunday of each month, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass will be celebrated in the Ordinary Form of the Roman Missal, both in Latin and English.

What exactly is the change? Did they not have N.O. masses before?

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Stanley on January 15, 2022, 07:43:49 PM
Beginning on January 25, 2022, on the first Sunday of each month, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass will be celebrated in the Ordinary Form of the Roman Missal, both in Latin and English.

The change is that they will not be permitted to offer the TLM on the first Sunday of each month.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

GaudeMariaVirgo

QuoteOne question, in the Vulgar Rite, are you required to have a layperson do the readings?

At Cantius, I don't believe that was ever done; we attended some NOs there with friends (Latin & English), and the readings were either done by the priest or by seminarians/deacons in their vestments. Never did I see a woman up there in any capacity, and they've never had altar girls either. The culture of the parish is very conservative. There's an incredible number of families at their Sunday NOs, many of whom say they're quite happy with the NO as long as it's done "reverently/respectfully" (i.e. with aesthetics that map more or less exactly onto the TLM, with Gregorian chant, incense & an altar rail).

They also conduct Mass strictly ad orientem and have only ever offered communion on the tongue. As far as NOs go, theirs is about as close to a TLM as it's possible to get, and they're very protective of their "extraordinary Ordinary Form," at least as much as of their TLMs. Cupich has now been threatening to force parishes to conduct Mass "versus populum" and is requiring every parish to request special permission to continue facing the altar, which I think is a big hill to die on for Cantius, so they're assenting to some of his other, "non-negotiable" demands without much of a fight. Cupich has bragged several times in the past about what a huge cash cow Cantius is for the diocese (true story), so I'm guessing he won't be stupid enough to totally destroy their liturgy, since it's a major draw for conservative-minded families who don't mind the NO liturgy "as such" but wouldn't accept communion in the hand, altar girls or things of that nature.

My sense of Cupich is that he's always looked out for #1 politically and wants to publicly curry favor with Francis, so I'm guessing that he's doing this to get attention from the Vatican and to display/flex his power over "prominent" churches like Cantius that are growing so quickly, without doing anything to *really* mess with their NO liturgy which is very popular with families there and brings in a lot of collections. I can only hope, at least. 

GaudeMariaVirgo

QuoteThe change is that they will not be permitted to offer the TLM on the first Sunday of each month.

Correct, and up till now they've always done Traditional High Masses for major holidays (Easter/Christmas/Triduum/etc). Christmas Day and Easter Day are (were  >:() Pontifical High Masses with Bp. Perry in attendance. I'm guessing they will be forced to switch to the NO for these Masses, but will try to remain as close to their original TLM Masses as possible (not sure how it will play out in detail).

GaudeMariaVirgo

QuoteThis whole situation is making me thank god for the SSPX.

Yes indeed! Also, FWIW, the ICKSP in Chicago (where we also attended weekly Masses) is currently refusing to acknowledge TC/Cupich at all, and they're not the sort to back down. It's not clear what's going to happen to them, since they were never as "big" as Cantius and may ultimately be ignored. But Francis is pretty vindictive so we'll see if he cracks down on the former Ecclesia Dei communities in any major way.

Tennessean

Quote from: james03 on January 15, 2022, 06:03:42 PM
One question, in the Vulgar Rite, are you required to have a layperson do the readings?  Or is that optional?  I'm having flash backs of some woman up there doing the "psalm response", lifting up her hand during the response.  Luckily I have Copenhagen to fight off the depressive thoughts, but it's tough going with that memory.
Oh dear lord, scenes like this send me into tears. I can barely hold back the laughter.

Maximilian

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 15, 2022, 07:49:48 PM

The change is that they will not be permitted to offer the TLM on the first Sunday of each month.

Yes, the first Sunday of every month, plus additionally:

"The Archdiocese also prescribes for us liturgical unity of prayer for Holy Mother Church's major feasts of Christmas, Pentecost and Easter, including the Triduum."

Maximilian

Quote from: GaudeMariaVirgo on January 15, 2022, 08:06:49 PM
They also conduct Mass strictly ad orientem

That's also being targeted.

Quote from: GaudeMariaVirgo on January 15, 2022, 08:06:49 PM
Cupich has now been threatening to force parishes to conduct Mass "versus populum" and is requiring every parish to request special permission to continue facing the altar, which I think is a big hill to die on for Cantius,

Yes, but if Cupich enforces all the other rules, it seems unlikely that he will overlook this one.

Perhaps they will have to resort to the "table on wheels" that is rolled on and off the altar.

Markus

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Maximilian on January 15, 2022, 08:54:05 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 15, 2022, 07:49:48 PM

Yes, the first Sunday of every month, plus additionally:

"The Archdiocese also prescribes for us liturgical unity of prayer for Holy Mother Church's major feasts of Christmas, Pentecost and Easter, including the Triduum."
To be fair, their triduum was also NO. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

GaudeMariaVirgo

Looks like they'll be allowed to continue ad orientem and proceed with the majority of their TLMs, per Cupich's "special permission":

https://www.cantius.org/post/update-on-traditionis-custodes-at-st-john-cantius

My guess is that Epiphany, Corpus Christi and other feast days will continue to have Solemn High Masses, while Christmas/Easter/etc. will be "reverent NOs" in Latin. Definitely a hard pill to swallow but not necessarily a fatal blow to the parish (but we'll see what gets cooked up in Rome over the next few years...)

Markus

Quote from: GaudeMariaVirgo on January 16, 2022, 06:43:23 PM
Definitely a hard pill to swallow but not necessarily a fatal blow to the parish

It is most definitely a fatal blow.

BlueInGreen

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 29, 2021, 04:01:12 PM
Quote from: lauermar on December 28, 2021, 10:57:10 AM
Yeah, just keep on waiting for hell to freeze over. You'd rather deny than be aware of the marches downtown and the pro-life teens standing all day in the freezing cold in DC just like Nicholas Sandman. My daughter was one of them during her high school years.

That church will still be standing long after some of you have left it. Francis has tempted me to leave many times, but as of right now I'm staying.

Lauermar, you're one of the more histrionic posters here, so I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded? 

Besides, what have those marches downtown wrought?  Chicago is still a leftist haven.

I think that's an entirely uncharitably response. You may think pro-life marches are a waste of time, where nothing comes of them, but then again I can say what good is the existence of a Catholic Church in X or Y liberal city since X and Y cities will continue to be socially liberal havens for years to come. To equal that, I can say what good is the Catholic Church in general when people leave and mock it, or for the existence of atheists till to their deathbed. C'mon, be fair.

A number of these responses on Cantius are also unfair. I take many here are not familiar with St. John Cantius, let alone have been to the church.
Cradle Catholic traversing modernism while rediscovering my heritage - in faith and ethnically.

lauermar

From today's Sunday bulletin for St. Peter's in Volo and SJC in Chicago:

Update on Traditionis Custodes at St. Peter's

When Pope Francis issued Traditionis custodes, some worried it might spell the end of the Canons Regular of St. John Cantius.

But let not your heart be troubled. We're not going anywhere.

We fully acknowledge that many of you have endured a heavy cross and have been preoccupied by confusion, uncertainty, and sadness. Each of us shared a great deal in
those emotions and we carried that same cross right alongside you.

So we are grateful that His Eminence Cardinal Blase Cupich has pledged to empower us to live our charism and to pursue our mission in accordance with his policy which implements the Holy Father's motu proprio.

This means that, for the foreseeable future, we will continue to offer the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass both in its Ordinary Form and the Extraordinary Form. We will continue to offer the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass both in its Ordinary Form and the Extraordinary Form. We will continue to pray ad orientem. We will continue to praise God and lift souls aided by our renowned Sacred Music program. And we will continue to cultivate a culture of beauty in the Archdiocese of Chicago and beyond. Cantius will remain Cantius as best it can, and we are committed to continuing our ministry with you to restore the sacred in all things.

The Canons Regular are just as committed to filial piety for the Archbishop of Chicago and the Bishop of Rome. In that spirit of unity, we will offer only the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass in its Ordinary Form, both in English and in Latin, on the first Sunday of each month, as well as on Holy Mother Church's major feasts of Christmas, Pentecost, and the Triduum of Easter. These liturgies will be celebrated as only the Canons Regular can—and as the Council fathers truly intended.

When the Canons Regular was founded more than thirty years ago, our beloved church was on the verge of closing. It wasn't evident to many then that our charism and our mission would be effective—many doubted us. Yet, with God's good grace, St. John Cantius Church has come to be a bright beacon of beauty, a growing gathering place, and a model for many in our universal church and beyond. Along the way, we've weathered much together. And still today it may seem like we are sinking in the storm. But if we, like Peter, cry out for Jesus to save us, we'll discover our Lord's hand was outstretched all along.

Today we remain—and are perhaps ever more so—committed to our charism, to our mission, and to each and every one of you.
?----??-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So there's no biting dust. The Canons did it right. They tried to pray, reason, and accept whatever happens.

In contrast, the pastor at nearby St. Stanislaus Kostka publicly condemned it, and was called to the carpet. He had to apologize and retract or lose his faculties, mabe face church closure. He issued a retractment.
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

Goldfinch

Today we remain—and are perhaps ever more so—committed to our charism, to our mission, and to each and every one of you.

It's quite telling that saying the apostolic mass of the Roman rite has been demoted to a "charism" rather than being the very raison d'être of every parish and every religious order.
"For there are no works of power, dearly-beloved, without the trials of temptations, there is no faith without proof, no contest without a foe, no victory without conflict. This life of ours is in the midst of snares, in the midst of battles; if we do not wish to be deceived, we must watch: if we want to overcome, we must fight." - St. Leo the Great