Offering it up mentality

Started by Chestertonian, September 13, 2019, 02:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

I struggle a lot with negative thoughts and have been trying to fight them off

so I try to offer things up but sometimes I get preoccupied with all the different things to offer up that it becomes very sressful I worry about the things I forget to offer up

It's very easy for me to be almost obsessive about offering it up I get very worried to the point where good things pass me by

I love my family and there are good things in life but I often don't notice it and fail to be grateful and then I worry about that

every moment of every day it seems like I'm doing it wrong
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Bernadette

you should say the morning offering, Ches. Takes care of it all at once beforehand.

Edit: I know where you're coming from. That's the thing about anxiety: it spills over into every area of our lives, and it often brings a sense of guilt with it. I've been struggling with this too, lately.
My Lord and my God.

Non Nobis

I don't know if it is "proper" or not but I sometimes offer up a past problem (when I  forgot or just couldn't offer it up at the time). I also tell God I trust Him in advance for a time when trust just isn't emotionally possible. You could do the same with thanks; pray in advance that you are thankful for each good thing as it happens, and then thank Him later when you remember.

It's all about love, Ches, God isn't trying to catch us doing something wrong. Sin is in the intention; if you worry out of weakness that you just can't seem to help, turn to Him again later. Trust in God is sort of an atmosphere of love (if that makes any sense; I don't mean it in a liberal way). God is always there, you can't trust in Him too far.

But I'm just talking here and don't always do what I preach (I tend to be in an atmosphere of ... I don't know what). But I do wholeheartedly believe that you can't trust in God too far.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Carleendiane

Ches, your worries about what you may forget to offer up are not warranted. There is no real obligation and you can offer whatever it is, anytime. God has no time, so whatever you offer is in the now!
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Non Nobis on September 13, 2019, 07:58:48 PM
I don't know if it is "proper" or not but I sometimes offer up a past problem (when I  forgot or just couldn't offer it up at the time). I also tell God I trust Him in advance for a time when trust just isn't emotionally possible. You could do the same with thanks; pray in advance that you are thankful for each good thing as it happens, and then thank Him later when you remember.

It's all about love, Ches, God isn't trying to catch us doing something wrong. Sin is in the intention; if you worry out of weakness that you just can't seem to help, turn to Him again later. Trust in God is sort of an atmosphere of love (if that makes any sense; I don't mean it in a liberal way). God is always there, you can't trust in Him too far.

But I'm just talking here and don't always do what I preach (I tend to be in an atmosphere of ... I don't know what). But I do wholeheartedly believe that you can't trust in God too far.

Good reply, Non. Always loved your posts.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.