Greetings

Started by Melchior, May 29, 2013, 02:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melchior

What brings you to SD?
-  I like discussing things with traditionalists, despite not being one myself.  I have heard of this place, thought I'd register.

Are you a member of other Internet fora?  If so, care to mention which one(s)?
-  I'm a member of FE (Melchior).  I'm more well known for my time spent on CAF (Melchior_).

Why did you choose your username and avatar?
-  Melchior after the guru in Chrono Trigger, it's been my screen name and character name in video games for years/

What is your state of life - single, married, religious, or still discerning?
-  Married, one child.  I know I am called to join the OSF, but not sure when God wants me to start formation.

Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? (be as specific or as general as you wish!)
-  Ontario.

Personality type?
-  Choleric. 

Favorite books?
-  Bible, CCC, Faith of the Early Fathers, History of the Franciscan Order, anything by Blessed Duns Scotus.

Favorite movies?
-  Shawshank Redemption.

Favorite TV shows?
-  GL;  TAS, Young Justice, anything from the DCAU.  Transformers Prime.  TMNT 2012/13.

Favorite sports/teams?
-  Habs, Expos, Bills.  I like basketball, but no specific team. 

Have any hobbies?
- Anything nerd.  Not as much I used to be after starting to get pain in my hands.

Fun random fact about yourself:
-  Giant nerd, I am.

OCLittleFlower

-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

LouisIX

Welcome, Melchior.  Glad to have you.

:toth:
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Armor of Light

Hey Melchior is here! Welcome!
If thou wilt receive profit, read with humility, simplicity, and faith, and seek not at any time the fame of being learned.

Thomas à Kempis

Heinrich

Glad you are here. We need more Canadians representing.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Melchior

Quote from: Armor of Light on May 29, 2013, 03:51:44 PM
Hey Melchior is here! Welcome!

Probably mostly lurking more than anything else, but you never know when I might jump into a conversation.

So far the welcome here went better than my "hello" thread a FE, in which I was called poisonous and essentially a heretic on the first page.

Fluffy

Give it time...... *joking* lol

Glad to have you here!  I just found this place last week and I likes it.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Fluffy on May 29, 2013, 07:00:53 PM
Give it time...... *joking* lol

Glad to have you here!  I just found this place last week and I likes it.

Haha, this!

Welcome, Melchior.  Hope you enjoy your stay here.  :)
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

BierKaiser

Pheo

Quote from: Melchior on May 29, 2013, 02:25:21 PMFavorite sports/teams?
-  Habs

Melchior...you're killing me!
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Der Polka-König

Quote from: Pheo on May 30, 2013, 07:42:23 AM
-  Habs

You a Leafs fan, Pheo?
"The Modernists pass the same judgment on the most holy Fathers of the Church as they pass on tradition; decreeing, with amazing effrontery that, while personally most worthy of all veneration, they were entirely ignorant of history and criticism, for which they are only excusable on account of the time in which they lived. Finally, the Modernists try in every way to diminish and weaken the authority of the ecclesiastical magisterium itself by sacrilegiously falsifying its origin, character, and rights, and by freely repeating the calumnies of its adversaries."

-- St Pius X, Pascendi Dominici Gregis

Pheo

Quote from: Der Polka-König on May 30, 2013, 08:02:59 AMYou a Leafs fan, Pheo?

Born and raised.  Even that Game 7 won't keep me from hoping for next year.

Like I said in my intro, being a Leafs fan is a prime virtue-building exercise.  Well...either that or it drives you to drink.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Melchior

Quote from: Pheo on May 30, 2013, 07:42:23 AM
-  Habs

You must be one of *those* people, aren't you.

Quote from: Pheo on May 30, 2013, 08:34:43 AM
Quote from: Der Polka-König on May 30, 2013, 08:02:59 AMYou a Leafs fan, Pheo?

Born and raised.  Even that Game 7 won't keep me from hoping for next year.

Like I said in my intro, being a Leafs fan is a prime virtue-building exercise.  Well...either that or it drives you to drink.

Yup, one of those people.

Melchior

Anyway, more about me; those from CAF and FE know me well enough at this point.  I'm definitely not what one would call a traditionalist, but I very much enjoy discussing things with them.  I enjoy learning about all aspect of the faith, and I try to be respectful of valid/approved customs, traditions, and practices - even if those things aren't ones I'm a fan of personally.

I'm pretty transparent with my spirituality.  I'm loyal to the Pope (some would say I place too much emphasis on his role as chief judge and lawmaker of the Church).  I study Franciscan writings (especially Duns Scotus lately), Canon Law, and the early Church Fathers.  And the Bible, can't forget that.  Probably the most controversial aspect of my faith life is my involvement with the charismatic renewal, which is how some don't even consider me a neo-cat but instead an out-and-out heretic.

I'm fine with disagreements over optional practices, even if the discussions are heated.  But there's a recent thing over on another message board which has left a sour taste in my mouth, which may result in my getting my "lets have intellectual discussions about things" from some place else.

Confession every week, because I'm a broken man (in a literal and metaphorical sense).  I'd go every day if I could.