Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kreuzritter

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 08, 2019, 04:45:42 AM
Not the best movie of 2018 (that honor belongs to Suspiria)

The moment you realise this just might be true ...

I literally can't think of a worse year for cinema since I was born, except this one so far.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Kreuzritter on July 08, 2019, 05:29:08 PM
I literally can't think of a worse year for cinema since I was born, except this one so far.

Films have been in decline recently.  I blame the ubiquity of both video streaming and comic book movies.  But yes, 2018 was particularly bad.  I have just realized that The Vanishing is a 2019 film, making 2018 even more impoverished.

But it sounds like you thought Suspiria was a middling movie, yet the best of a lackluster crop.  I thought it was five-star excellence; a winner in any year.  On a personal level, I appreciated that as a horror movie it explored a notion I've long held: that dancing is demonic.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

rosenley

I'll be seeing "Unplanned" in a few weeks.
"And I live, now not I; but Christ liveth in me. And that I live now in the flesh: I live in the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

"Give them according to their works, and according to the wickedness of their inventions. According to the works of their hands give thou to them: render to them their reward." (Psalm 27:4)

"A man has free choice to the extent that he is rational."
"It is proper for man to be inclined to act according to reason."
"Human salvation demands the divine disclosure of truths surpassing reason."
"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." - St. Thomas Aquinas

martin88nyc

Finished watching "Stranger Things" season 3.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Bernadette

The Red Violin. One of my favorite movies; I'm probably going to watch it again, while it's still on Netflix.
My Lord and my God.

Jacob

Quote from: Bernadette on August 15, 2019, 09:39:54 AM
The Red Violin. One of my favorite movies; I'm probably going to watch it again, while it's still on Netflix.

I enjoyed this movie as well.  Interesting story about why i saw it: I was in a class in university about the history of the violin and we watched this movie for class.  Then in the discussion of the movie, the professor asked us what was wrong with the movie as if we'd be able to tell and when we didn't know, he took us to task for thinking Montreal was really a center of auctioning historic instruments.  Lesson learned! :D
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Non Nobis

Quote from: rosenley on July 17, 2019, 06:52:30 PM
I'll be seeing "Unplanned" in a few weeks.

I ordered the DVD.  Amazon told me it would arrive on the very same day as the release (Aug 13) but I still haven't got it. I thought it would be a pretty decent DVD to add to my (extremely small) collection.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Bernadette

Like Sunday, Like Rain. Quirky and touching. :)
My Lord and my God.

martin88nyc

I watched "Gran Hotel"(original telenovela from Spain) series last month. It quite was absorbing.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

red solo cup

Watched The King last night. Overall very good. The battle of Agincourt got some things right, the mud, the press of bodies being so close as to keep men from wielding their weapons, but there were quit a few inaccuracies. Below are some. Still enjoyable.

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Heinrich

A Christmas Tree Miracle. As mentioned above, quirky, but touching and overall joyful. Caution for families as theology is protestant, but overall a clean and clever flick. Streams free Prime Video.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2328727/
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Bernadette

The Lion King, 2019 version. Excellent. :)
My Lord and my God.

Prayerful

Netflix's The Irishman. Good.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.