Something worth reading

Started by Kaesekopf, January 23, 2023, 12:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

While sitting at Mass yesterday and reading the propers, the Epistle struck me in a particular way.  I wonder if it will strike others here in a similar fashion.

Quote from: Romans 12:16-21Brethren: Be not wise in your own conceits. To no man render evil for evil, but provide good things not only in the sight of God, but also in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as far as in you lies, be at peace with all men. Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but give place to the wrath, for it is written, Vengeance is Mine: I will repay, says the Lord. But, If your enemy is hungry, give him food; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap coals of fire upon his head. Be not overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

AlfredtheGreat

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 23, 2023, 12:05:14 PMWhile sitting at Mass yesterday and reading the propers, the Epistle struck me in a particular way.  I wonder if it will strike others here in a similar fashion.

Quote from: Romans 12:16-21Brethren: Be not wise in your own conceits. To no man render evil for evil, but provide good things not only in the sight of God, but also in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as far as in you lies, be at peace with all men. Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but give place to the wrath, for it is written, Vengeance is Mine: I will repay, says the Lord. But, If your enemy is hungry, give him food; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap coals of fire upon his head. Be not overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

It strikes me as a mirror showing how utterly short I fall of this precept. That's for sure.
These people are crazy

Bonaventure

From what I have read it was an ancient portion of the lectionary and is utterly removed from the Novus Ordo Missae of 1969
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Acolyte

In short, kill them with kindness. That's what I get out of it.
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

clau clau

I noticed it too. By a weird coincidence I quoted a section from this passage last week (in relation to Jacinda Ardern).

Quote from: clau clau on January 19, 2023, 08:10:32 AMI am going to go against my instincts and say a prayer for her.

Coals of fire on her head seems like a good outcome.

20 But if the enemy be hungry, give him to eat; if he thirst, give him to drink. For, doing this, thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head.
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Acolyte

Hmm, since this is posted in General Information....

A hint of sorts ?

"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III