Share your top 3 fav books

Started by angelcookie, April 29, 2017, 12:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dymphna17

It took me a little while, but I finally came up with my second list of three.  Wait!  Whaaaat?  We can't have three for the right hand and three for the left?  What kind of sharing game wouldn't let me list Animal Farm, by George Orwell; Dante's Inferno, by  Dante Alighieri; or The Screwtape Letters, by CS Lewis?  Bummer.   :cheeseheadbeer: 8)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

clau clau

3 isn't enough really.  I reckon I could list 50 and pick any 3 from them.  At different times the 3 would vary.
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Michael Wilson

Since we get another three...I would like to add that the most influential book spiritually on me was "Conversations with Christ: the Teachings of St. Teresa of Avila About Personal Prayer" Rev. Peter Thomas Rhorbach O.C.D. Until the time I read this book on mental prayer, I had a very "up and down" prayer life: first, fervor, adding vocal prayers one by one, until finally it would take me so long to say my daily prayers, that I would have to omit some, then I would become discouraged, go into "dryness" and give up all of my prayers. This book teaches the way of St. Teresa on mental prayer; and if followed and persevered in, one can come to a high degree of union with God; its very encouraging.
The Mystical Body of Christ and the Reorganization of Society; Fr. Dennis Fahey C.S.S.P. Msgr. De Castro Mayer said that one could tell which priest or bishop had read Msgr. Delasus' La Conjuracion Anti-Chretien. One could easily say the same about Fr. Fahey's books especially this tittle; although some of the peripheral economic information is dated, the essential message of the book: that there is only one way that God has established for men's return to God and that is through Our Lord Jesus Christ and the Catholic Church and that all other religions are in themselves obstacles to the fulfillment of the Divine plan.
The Catechism of the Council of Trent; excellent book in which to deepen one's knowledge of the faith. It certainly helped me a lot to read this book as an antidote to the "religion classes" I was subjected to at my nominally Catholic High School. This book should be in every Catholic's personal library, especially those who have teenagers. 
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Carleendiane

2 most influential were: Imitation of Christ, Humility of Heart, next, most definitely was Anne Catherine Emmerich. The notion of being a worker in the Vinyard was very appealing to me. People could argue all day about the legitimacy of her story, but no matter what is said, I will forever see myself working in the vineyard. Being a quasi farmer, working in the vineyard is natural to me and a spirituality that is a good fit for me. I loved it when I read it and love it more deeply now.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

MiserereDomine

Quote from: Carleendiane on April 30, 2017, 03:14:25 PM
Count of Monte Christo. Les miserable. Betrothed, The Endurance. Last Stand Fox Company. Imitation of Christ.
Humility of Heart.

Only one I've read (most of) is the last. Very good stuff. Gotta re-read it sometime.

Boccaccio

1. The Sun Also Rises
2. Love in the Ruins
3. For Whom the Bell Tolls

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk