Neo-Con Priest - We can reasonably hope that all men are saved, no one in Hell

Started by Bonaventure, December 29, 2012, 01:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on January 03, 2013, 08:30:21 PM
And I'm actually a continuing Anglican, myself.  Women's ordination along with the '79 BCP were our reasons for breaking away way back when.

Ah, interesting. I didn't know that.

You're part of the TAC?
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 03, 2013, 08:32:13 PM
And I'm actually a continuing Anglican, myself.  Women's ordination along with the '79 BCP were our reasons for breaking away way back when.

You're part of the TAC?

I'm in the APA.  We are not, I believe, a member of the TAC, though we have some kind of relationship with the ACA (which is).
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on January 03, 2013, 08:38:18 PM

You're part of the TAC?

I'm in the APA.  We are not, I believe, a member of the TAC, though we have some kind of relationship with the ACA (which is).

Interesting.

Many in the ACA and TAC sought to cross the Tiber after the creation of the new ordinariate in 2009. How's the situation in your own church?
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 03, 2013, 08:43:40 PM

You're part of the TAC?

Interesting.

Many in the ACA and TAC sought to cross the Tiber after the creation of the new ordinariate in 2009. How's the situation in your own church?

To my knowledge, no one has made that move in our diocese.  We are very Anglo-Catholic and use the Anglican Missal.  I think the fear is that we'd end up having to use something very much like the '79 BCP if we went to the Ordinariate.  As much as I am one of that nearly-extinct tribe of the Anglo-Papalists, I've become more and more an Anglo-Sede (I may very well be the only one in the world, haha) over the past few months, so the Ordinariate would not be a satisfactory solution for me, either.  Most of the priests in the diocese are stout Anglo-Catholics, but I don't think any of them is as Rome-positive as I am.   ;) 
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Mithrandylan

Sounds like it's time for somebody to get his arse into the Church!
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Mithrandylan on January 03, 2013, 08:53:44 PM
Sounds like it's time for somebody to get his arse into the Church!

I know.  I spend enough time around y'all.  It'd make things easier.   ;D

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on January 03, 2013, 08:52:37 PM

You're part of the TAC?

Interesting.

To my knowledge, no one has made that move in our diocese.  We are very Anglo-Catholic and use the Anglican Missal.  I think the fear is that we'd end up having to use something very much like the '79 BCP if we went to the Ordinariate.  As much as I am one of that nearly-extinct tribe of the Anglo-Papalists, I've become more and more an Anglo-Sede (I may very well be the only one in the world, haha) over the past few months, so the Ordinariate would not be a satisfactory solution for me, either.  Most of the priests in the diocese are stout Anglo-Catholics, but I don't think any of them is as Rome-positive as I am.   ;)

Aren't there Anglo-Protestants in the APA?

In the line of Laud, Andrewes and the other Caroline divines.

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 03, 2013, 09:04:42 PM

You're part of the TAC?

Interesting.

Oh, I'm sure there are.  Most of the APA priests I know would self-identify as A-Cs, but I think most see themselves as inheritors of the tradition of Laud, Andrewes, Taylor, Herbert, Donne, etc., just as much as that of the Oxford Movement.  (Of course, we don't like to think that Abp. Laud was really a protestant, anyway.   :P)

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on January 03, 2013, 09:14:59 PM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 03, 2013, 09:04:42 PM

You're part of the TAC?

Interesting.

Oh, I'm sure there are.  Most of the APA priests I know would self-identify as A-Cs, but I think most see themselves as inheritors of the tradition of Laud, Andrewes, Taylor, Herbert, Donne, etc., just as much as that of the Oxford Movement.  (Of course, we don't like to think that Abp. Laud was really a protestant, anyway.   :P)

I don't think Laud himself would shy away from that label. The Tractarian Movement that gave birth to modern Anglo-Catholicism is a late import that sort of put a distinctive Roman veneer over the Reformed nature of the Church of England.

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 03, 2013, 09:23:57 PM
I don't think Laud himself would shy away from that label. The Tractarian Movement that gave birth to modern Anglo-Catholicism is a late import that sort of put a distinctive Roman veneer over the Reformed nature of the Church of England.

Or, as we'd say, recovered the Roman nature of the Church that existed before the Reformation.   ;)

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on January 03, 2013, 09:26:13 PM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 03, 2013, 09:23:57 PM

Or, as we'd say, recovered the Roman nature of the Church that existed before the Reformation.   ;)

Yes, that was the goal of the Tractarian movement.

Although, to be fair, what was deemed worthy of preservation in the English Church that existed before the Reformation was consciously preserved by the Elizabethan establishment and afterwards by the Caroline divines.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Penelope

So, wait. EQB isn't... isn't Catholic? This is horrible news! EQB, what the hell are you waiting for? (See what I did there?)

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Penelope on January 04, 2013, 01:01:15 AM
So, wait. EQB isn't... isn't Catholic? This is horrible news! EQB, what the hell are you waiting for? (See what I did there?)

Really?  You need to keep better tabs on our members.   ;D
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Penelope on January 04, 2013, 01:01:15 AM

I know.  I know!  It is horrible news.  I'm glad I can pass for a traddie, though.   ;D

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 03, 2013, 10:05:54 PM
Although, to be fair, what was deemed worthy of preservation in the English Church that existed before the Reformation was consciously preserved by the Elizabethan establishment and afterwards by the Caroline divines.

Of course, their criteria for what was "worthy for preservation" was significantly inflected by the spirit of the continental reformation, so I tend to be somewhat circumspect about their judgment.  I'm an Eamon Duffy-ite in my understanding of and approach to the English reformation, though, so I'm a bit biased.