A good resource for ancient languages

Started by GloriaPatri, August 12, 2018, 01:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloriaPatri

I just discovered this site yesterday, so I haven't perused it as thoroughly as I would have liked. But I thought others here might be interested:

http://lexicity.com

With resources for ancient languages from Akkadian to Ugaritic, including links to online dictionaries, grammars, helpful charts/aids, original texts in the language in question, etc. I hope some of you find it useful! I'm going to try using it to learn some Old Irish myself  ;D

LausTibiChriste

That's awesome - thanks!

Off to learn Church Slavonic
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Vetus Ordo

Thanks for sharing this, GP.

I'll check it out.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

aquinas138

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on August 12, 2018, 01:19:27 PM
That's awesome - thanks!

Off to learn Church Slavonic

Just beware – Old Church Slavonic is not what is used in the Slavic churches. Their texts are a later stage of the language, usually called simply "Church Slavonic."
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Michael Wilson

Is there a place where I can learn "Jive"?
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

LausTibiChriste

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Michael Wilson

"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

MilesChristi

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on August 13, 2018, 01:13:57 AM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on August 12, 2018, 07:44:21 PM
Is there a place where I can learn "Jive"?

Harlem

Jive is the Latin to the Italian of Modern Ebonics. Only few native speakers left. You might have to learn it from archived sources.

Start here:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrZlWw8Di10[/yt]
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.