??????? ???????????? - ??????? ??????

Started by Ancilla Domini, March 07, 2013, 02:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vetus Ordo

DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on March 12, 2013, 05:59:06 AMWho's this Chatzigiannis?

He is a Greek Cypriot musician. It seems he's very popular, though I hadn't heard of him until recently.
His name is usually Latinzed as Michalis Hatzigiannis.

Ancilla Domini

The song is a classic that has been remade many times. It first appeared in 1960 in the Greek film Madalena where it was performed by Aliki Vougiouklaki.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Yp7R2VIM0&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on March 12, 2013, 11:37:31 AM
Quote from: Vetus Ordo on March 12, 2013, 05:59:06 AMWho's this Chatzigiannis?

He is a Greek Cypriot musician. It seems he's very popular, though I hadn't heard of him until recently.
His name is usually Latinzed as Michalis Hatzigiannis.

One way among many. The X is traditionally rendered as "CH" in our alphabet: for instance, Christ. As for the H, it's more complicated. Usually in Modern Greek it's rendered as "I", as it actually sounds, but in Old Greek it's still rendered as "E," hence Socrates and not Socratis.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on March 12, 2013, 03:55:07 PMOne way among many. The X is traditionally rendered as "CH" in our alphabet: for instance, Christ. As for the H, it's more complicated. Usually in Modern Greek it's rendered as "I", as it actually sounds, but in Old Greek it's still rendered as "E," hence Socrates and not Socratis.

I wasn't arguing with your rendering, just pointing out that that seems to be the common spelling on the Internet, if you wanted to look him up.  :)

Guapo

Thanks for this I sent to my Greek friend :)