New laptop

Started by Archer, April 01, 2013, 01:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archer

We're looking at getting a new one.  Our Dell laptop is 3 years old and we've been extremely disappointed with it.  It's had numerous problems over the years and Dell customer service has been a nightmare.  It's dying on us (again) and it's time for a new one.

We use it for web browsing, streaming movies/shows, word documents, and pictures. 

What do you recommend?
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Bonaventure

Well I'm a Mac addict so...
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

CoolCat

Anything that has an HDMi port on it.
I would recommend Toshiba Satellite C855D.

Kaesekopf

Fan of HP.

Asus makes nice laptops, I think?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

BierKaiser

Asus is a good laptop. HP is ok and they include Windows 8 training on their PCs. If you have money to blow, Macs are very good as well.

Archer

I've heard horrible things about Windows 8.  Not sure I want to go there.

The only thing holding me back from the Mac is the price...

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Pheo

Quote from: Archer on April 03, 2013, 09:28:59 AMThe only thing holding me back from the Mac is the price...

The price is basically the same as comparable Sony and Samsung laptops.  They use good quality panels in their displays, aluminium casing, overall decent components, etc.  Maybe I'm just picky about displays, but it's almost impossible to find laptops in the bigbox stores that don't use the same low end 1366 x 768 panel.  I swear, they're in almost every laptop now.

Plus then you don't have to use Windows.

Yes, join us:
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Archer

I'm basically convinced. 

I also just talked to a coworker who's had a Mac for 5 years and counting with no issues.  Compare that to the 3 years of problem after problem with our Dell.... yeah.  I'll probably wait until it completely dies or we can't stand it anymore and then make the jump.   

Bonaventure

Quote from: Pheo on April 03, 2013, 09:37:47 AM
Quote from: Archer on April 03, 2013, 09:28:59 AMThe only thing holding me back from the Mac is the price...

The price is basically the same as comparable Sony and Samsung laptops.  They use good quality panels in their displays, aluminium casing, overall decent components, etc.  Maybe I'm just picky about displays, but it's almost impossible to find laptops in the bigbox stores that don't use the same low end 1366 x 768 panel.  I swear, they're in almost every laptop now.

Plus then you don't have to use Windows.

Yes, join us:

This.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."