iMac Question

Started by red solo cup, October 18, 2021, 03:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

Looking at a new iMac. The model is about 1200. For an extra 200.00, you get something called Gigabit Ethernet. Is it worth it? This unit is for personal use only, no business.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

MaximGun

Get more memory than you need they are hard to upgrade.  My one runs slow and it is only a few years old.

Old ones you could change the memkry yourself.  New ones have to be unglued.

Heinrich

What MG 42 said. I am finding this out personally on my 2017 model.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

aquinas138

Joining the chorus on maxing the memory as much as possible. I have a mid-2014 Macbook Pro that is still going strong (at least until software eventually makes it obsolete) because I decided to max the RAM at 16GB. I skimped a bit on the hard drive back then to afford it, but it was a worthwhile trade-off.

Whether Gigabit Ethernet is worth it depends on the speed of your internet connection. If you have a slow connection (sub-200 megabit), it's a waste of that much money, but if you have fast service or foresee the upgrade to faster service, non-Gigabit would likely be a performance bottleneck. $200 is a classic "well, that's Apple for you" outrage of a price, though, since a Gigabit card in a standard PC tower can be had for $15. But the iMacs are highly proprietary, and Apple charges through the nose for stuff like that. Unfortunately a part of the Apple ecosystem.

Also depending on your internet service and how many free USB/Thunderbolt ports you have, you could forgo the built-in Ethernet and use a Thunderbolt- or USB-C-to-gigabit adapter. It would not be as fast as the built-in card, but Apple's adapters are $30, which is significantly cheaper, and other brands are likely even cheaper.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Gardener

Any necessary reason to do an iMac vs something else?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

red solo cup

Quote from: Gardener on October 18, 2021, 09:25:07 PM
Any necessary reason to do an iMac vs something else?
We've always used Macs.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

A USB-C or Thunderbolt adapter for Ethernet would cost you $20, so...doesn't seem cost-effective to get it integrated.
this page left intentionally blank

maryslittlegarden

Thinkpad with a linux distro is fantastic
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on October 19, 2021, 07:23:50 AM
Thinkpad with a linux distro is fantastic

Yes it is.

But so are Macs.

I hated Macs for the LONGEST time. 3 years ago I was given a Macbook for work. I now have a Steve Jobs poster on my bedroom ceiling.

Not really, but they are fantastic.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie