Linux file system for back up

Started by james03, December 27, 2021, 01:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

I bought a network file server from Synology.  It is a linux box preconfigured for some sort of RAID level (it has 2 hard drives).  Basically if one drive fails, all your data is present on the other drive.

Anyhow, I never got it running well.  I chose Samba for the protocol for file sharing, and I've always hated Samba as being too clunky and a pain.

I'm a coder, not a network/systems guy, so I want something simple and basic.  I just want to have the network drive automount on start up.  Keep in mind I'm using a non-systemd flavor linux, so it's older school.

I'm thinking of trying NFS (never used it before, but the file server has that option).  Keep in mind I'm the only one using this, so I don't need a lot of bells and whistles.  Also I'd like to know what I need in the fstab file to have it mount at start up.  If you all could recommend a tutorial, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

james03

Also, if I'm completely wrong in my selection, let me know and what you would recommend.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

andy

I rotate my midterm backups over a few WD drives with ext4 over luks  to keep my stuff up safe, stored in remote locations. My code is in GitHub on private repos and I keep a few other things in the cloud. I kind of gave up short term/intimidate backups after SSD became ubiquitous. Trusting in providence more now.

I stopped using RAID1 about 10 years ago, as same content/file differed (just a few bits) after detaching and comparing drives - probably a faulty controller. Super weird but it was enough to distrust the idea. I have own software now to keep checksum up to date instead now.