Favorite Ethnic Cuisines

Started by Fleur-de-Lys, July 28, 2021, 12:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melkor

Hmmm funny, we have that in Canada ;) too. 
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Melkor on July 30, 2021, 05:12:49 PM

And they have something strangely similar in England...  :D

Lynne

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on July 30, 2021, 05:17:29 PM

And they have something strangely similar in England...  :D

I love an Irish breakfast, includes all of the above and blood pudding.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Christe Eleison

I believe that the English also have baked beans included  at breakfast. :D I love beans cooked in every possible way (English, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Latin American, American, etc.)

When I have had a full breakfast like the English do, I am no longer hungry for the rest of the day.

"Full English breakfast: Black pudding (sausage), baked beans, bubble and squeak (potatoes and cabbage), and fried bread"

YUM  ;D And it is definitely not vegan  ;)

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on July 30, 2021, 05:03:35 PM
Quote from: Melkor on July 30, 2021, 04:20:38 PM
Quote from: james03 on July 30, 2021, 04:15:47 PM
Second up has to be Cajun/Creole.  Chicken and sausage gumbo, seafood gumbo, shrimp creole, crawfish etoufe, and of course the crawfish boil with tons of beer.

For our non-American friends, they should consider some American "ethnic" food if they visit, like a huge American country breakfast, and some variety of our American barbeque.

What's an American country breakfast?

Something like this:

Yours are legendary.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Christe Eleison

Melkor, I believe, not sure, that you like fried bread. The English have fried bread for breakfast.
A Proper/Traditional English breakfast, according to this Chef (he cooked for the Royal family) is a FRIED breakfast  ;D YUM

I really love English baked beans.
If you are fasting today completely (water fast), this probably is not the video for you right now  ;)

Melkor

I like crispy fried French toast. Never tried fried bread, looks amazing though.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Christe Eleison

Quote from: Melkor on July 30, 2021, 07:54:44 PM
I like crispy fried French toast. Never tried fried bread, looks amazing though.

Melkor, Crispy fried French toast is so good!! ;D
I thought you liked fried Naan, so I figured that you would also enjoy any type of fried
bread  ;) And the English seem to do that very well. The video is hard to watch if you are hungry....

queen.saints

Thinking of which meals were the most fun I'd say dim sum, Japanese, Korean, Mexican street food, French, and Italian.

American food is still my favorite.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

Christe Eleison

Hey, Queen Saints! ;D

YAY! It is always great to see you!
Now, can you please share a couple of your favorite American dishes, recipes, desserts that you enjoy the most  :cheeseheadbeer:
Which is your favorite one to make, which is your favorite one to eat & enjoy? ;) Thanks!

Quote from: queen.saints on July 31, 2021, 05:14:15 PM
Thinking of which meals were the most fun I'd say dim sum, Japanese, Korean, Mexican street food, French, and Italian.

American food is still my favorite.

Christe Eleison

Hey Munda,

I love your detailed post!
What an amazing experience. It sounds like you had a great time.

It is so different staying with the locals, eating home cooked meals made with care & love vs. staying at a hotel or eating out. And mind you, I love restaurants but it is a different experience.
Please write down your experience, what you did, what you ate, the places you were able to visit in a journal, so you can give that to your children later on. They will treasure it forever.

Now, if you would like to share some more dishes, foods that you enjoyed there, I would not mind reading about it  ;D
Very cool post! Thanks so much! Obrigada  ;)

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on July 30, 2021, 10:52:45 AM
Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on July 30, 2021, 10:20:30 AM
Quote from: MundaCorMeum on July 30, 2021, 05:05:53 AM
It's hard to narrow it down, but I'd say Brazilian, French, and Cajun cuisines are my favorite.

Which Brazilian dishes are your favorites, Munda?

It's been so long, I can't remember the proper names, but I can describe them.  Some background: There used to be a local Brazilian grocery and eatery by my home where I grew up.  It was run by a married couple, and I was friends with their children.  This was the family I spent a month with in Brazil when I was 19.  So, I have had Brazilian food both "at home", and "locally". 

Anyway....it was all good, so hard to pick favorites.  BBQ would be too obvious, but it doesn't have a reputation for nothing! I particularly liked the fresh salsa type side dish that they served with it.  The wife of the grocery team did most of the cooking, besides the BBQ (which I had at their personal home, not their restaurant).  She made this one dish that I always enjoyed.  It was chicken in some kind of cream sauce (she used table cream, I think), served with garlic rice, and fine shredded, fried potatoes as a garnish.  I used to make it myself after I got married, except for the potatoes.  I could never get them fine enough.  Her stroganoff was delicious.  And black beans, of course.  I loved farofa with all of the rice dishes.  Once she made some kind of shrimp dish, served inside of a gutted out pumpkin.  That one was really good.  And then when I stayed with them in Brazil, there was a bakery up the road from their house that made the most amazing little breads (I would call it a pistolette), that was served with Requeijão (I do remember what that was called, it's so delicious).  Her smothered greens were good, too.  I'm sure I could think of more if I really tried, but I think that's good enough for now :).

mikemac

Canadian wildlife.  Probably the best roast that I have had was a black bear roast cooked by myself.  Moose is excellent.  And partridge, yum.  Tenderloins from a just butchered deer, mmm.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

drummerboy

Second up has to be Cajun/Creole.  Chicken and sausage gumbo, seafood gumbo, shrimp creole, crawfish etoufe, and of course the crawfish boil with tons of beer.

For our non-American friends, they should consider some American "ethnic" food if they visit, like a huge American country breakfast, and some variety of our American barbeque.

Something like this:

I watched a video of a Finnish guy testing his Trangia stove by cooking what he thought was a typical American breakfast.  He got the bacon and eggs correct, but he fried the eggs first.  Poor guy....
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

drummerboy

The older I get the more and more I like the German/Scandinavian dishes.  The pungent odors and sour and bitter tastes of mustard, sauerkraut, caraway, along with rye and delicious sausages (living in WI very easy to come by, just not economical anymore for frequent consumption, but I'm a cheapskate too), are becoming more appealing. Its hard not to like a good Chinese restaurant, and when my Hmong grandma neighbor gives us food, now that's something I will always stop what I'm doing to gobble up.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Bernadette

Something like this:

Needs grits and biscuits with gravy.
My Lord and my God.