Home altars

Started by Relicario, March 03, 2016, 05:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief

One place to look is Ebay. I designed two and had them made. We imported one from England (andythorton.com). Also fynderskeepers.com has them from time to time. If you want to have one built, kingrichards.com does quality work, and I don't mean a cnc machine.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: aquinas138 on March 09, 2016, 10:47:53 AM
I'm hoping to add a row of the festal icons and icons of each of our patron saints. The book stand is on top of my "liturgical bookshelf," so I have access to everything.

What do you mean "festal"?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Ulrich Von Lichtenstein

Quote from: ialsop on June 01, 2016, 06:47:03 PM
Where can I get a kneeler for my bedroom shrine?

Just build one.

aquinas138

Quote from: dymphna17 on June 01, 2016, 07:10:04 PM
My icon wall:

I'm hoping to add a row of the festal icons and icons of each of our patron saints. The book stand is on top of my "liturgical bookshelf," so I have access to everything.

That is very nice.  If you don't mind, what are the two reeds crossed over your icons?

Willow branches - my Ruthenian parish has them in addition to the palms. Palm trees weren't easy to come by in the Carpathian mountains and other Slavic territories, so willow branches were often used instead. The Slavs often call Palm Sunday "Flowery Sunday" for this reason.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

aquinas138

Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 01, 2016, 07:54:39 PM

Referring to the 12 Great Feasts and Pascha. The 12 feasts are (in order of the Byzantine ecclesiastical year) Nativity of the Theotokos, Exaltation of the Cross, Presentation of the Theotokos, Christmas, Theophany, Presentation of Jesus at the Temple, Annunciation, Palm Sunday, Ascension, Pentecost, Transfiguration, and Dormition of the Theotokos, with Pascha being the "Feast of Feasts." There are five other feasts celebrated as Great Feasts but not counted among the 12: the Protecting Veil of the Theotokos (Oct 1), the Circumcision, Nativity of the St. John the Baptist, Saints Peter and Paul, and the Beheading of St. John the Baptist. In Church services, the icon of a feast is venerated with processions and incensations, in addition to devotional veneration as people pass by it.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

abc123

My icon wall:

I love how you have a vigil lamp in front of each icon. Very nice.

dymphna17

Quote from: aquinas138 on June 02, 2016, 10:18:17 AM
Quote from: dymphna17 on June 01, 2016, 07:10:04 PM
My icon wall:

That is very nice.  If you don't mind, what are the two reeds crossed over your icons?

Willow branches - my Ruthenian parish has them in addition to the palms. Palm trees weren't easy to come by in the Carpathian mountains and other Slavic territories, so willow branches were often used instead. The Slavs often call Palm Sunday "Flowery Sunday" for this reason.

You learn something new every day!  Thank you.  :)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Kaesekopf

Quote from: aquinas138 on June 02, 2016, 10:28:27 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 01, 2016, 07:54:39 PM

Referring to the 12 Great Feasts and Pascha. The 12 feasts are (in order of the Byzantine ecclesiastical year) Nativity of the Theotokos, Exaltation of the Cross, Presentation of the Theotokos, Christmas, Theophany, Presentation of Jesus at the Temple, Annunciation, Palm Sunday, Ascension, Pentecost, Transfiguration, and Dormition of the Theotokos, with Pascha being the "Feast of Feasts." There are five other feasts celebrated as Great Feasts but not counted among the 12: the Protecting Veil of the Theotokos (Oct 1), the Circumcision, Nativity of the St. John the Baptist, Saints Peter and Paul, and the Beheading of St. John the Baptist. In Church services, the icon of a feast is venerated with processions and incensations, in addition to devotional veneration as people pass by it.

Very neat.  Thank you!

Is this a big Eastern devotion?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

aquinas138

I don't know how many people have all of the festal icons - I just want them! They are a good way of talking about the feasts with the kiddos. I would like to get a separate stand for my books and use the current shelf-top stand to place the seasonal icon on.

Neopelagianus

Here is my Lady Altar, with an image of Our Lady of the Rosary. The image is currently in the chapel wherein we celebrate our traditional Masses, for the month of October.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Indeed, the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries, nor innovators: they are traditionalists. - Saint Pius X

I am a ?????

"Not to oppose error is to approve it, and not to defend truth is to suppress it, and indeed to neglect to confound evil men, when we can do it, is no less a sin than to encourage them."
-Pope St. Felix III

"I would rather be a street-sweep rather than be a head of your schismatic church" (Prefiero ser lampazero a ser la cabeza de su jerarquia cismatica)

- Bishop Jorge Imperial Barlin, first native Filipino bishop  to Gregorio Aglipay after the latter offered the him to be the "bishop" of his "church".

Prayerful

Now that is a fantastic image. Great altars everyone!
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Obrien

Quote from: Neopelagianus on October 19, 2016, 01:05:18 PM
Here is my Lady Altar, with an image of Our Lady of the Rosary. The image is currently in the chapel wherein we celebrate our traditional Masses, for the month of October.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beautiful!

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: Prayerful on October 19, 2016, 05:59:10 PM

Amen.
My heart is moved by these beautiful, humble, holy altars.

Years ago we rescued a statue of our BVM and a bas relief of the Lord's Supper at a pagan's antique store.  The store was in a rural area that had masonic temples and cemeteries in each of the small towns surrounding.  They had been in an old church that was wreckovated.  Our Mother was gathering dust in the back room, and the bas relief was in the basement on the floor.
They are part of our altar area now.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Carleendiane

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on October 20, 2016, 12:08:30 PM

Amen.

Years ago we rescued a statue of our BVM and a bas relief of the Lord's Supper at a pagan's antique store.  The store was in a rural area that had masonic temples and cemeteries in each of the small towns surrounding.  They had been in an old church that was wreckovated.  Our Mother was gathering dust in the back room, and the bas relief was in the basement on the floor.

We too rescued a piece of Catholic art. It was in a small warehouse behind a Catholic shop. It is a four and half foot statue of the Sacred Heart Jesus. It is a Cadillac of Sacred Heart. Made by an artist who allowed only a few made with his mold and then he wrecked the mold. If I remember right, and it is stamped on the statue in the back, I think it is a DaPrada. 100 bucks. He is the heart and soul of our home and has been for 20 yrs. Thanks God!
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: Carleendiane on October 20, 2016, 12:16:21 PM
Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on October 20, 2016, 12:08:30 PM

Amen.

We too rescued a piece of Catholic art. It was in a small warehouse behind a Catholic shop. It is a four and half foot statue of the Sacred Heart Jesus. It is a Cadillac of Sacred Heart. Made by an artist who allowed only a few made with his mold and then he wrecked the mold. If I remember right, and it is stamped on the statue in the back, I think it is a DaPrada. 100 bucks. He is the heart and soul of our home and has been for 20 yrs. Thanks God!

There's an indescribable feeling, having these holy objects, don't you think Carleendiane?  I can't explain it properly.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19