Fats on Friday

Started by drummerboy, July 21, 2022, 09:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

So what's the Church law on using fats on Friday or other days of abstinence?  The law states to abstain from flesh and soup made from flesh, so meat and bone broths are obviously out of the question as they are made with actual meat. But then the law states that condiments made from fats are allowed. Does that mean gravy? Thay strikes me as odd. But would this imply I could. say, use lard or suet in breads or crusts? It's very ambiguous.  Thanks
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

TerrorDæmonum

The law on this depends on jurisdiction. Different churches can have different rules, as can different communities under authorities. Furthermore, individual areas can have rules imposed by the bishops in that area. The best resource then for knowing one's obligations is one's bishop.

The penitential rules are almost always odd, because the rules themselves are not necessarily penitential on their own if they are not observed according to the traditions of the Church with the right interior intention.

My personal advice is that if you tend to excess rigor and scruples (if these are matters of moral concern), then do what your spiritual advisor says on this and do not try to figure it out on your own. If you are not like that, I would say that deliberately doing a bit more than the rule can make life easier for yourself (if you avoid it all, you don't have to worry about it) if you understand that the extra is not a moral obligation but a personal choice.

It is hardly a great penance in our modern life to abstain from all animals a few days of out the year. Excess focus on culinary questions does not seem to be a matter of penance: if such ingredients are necessary or unavoidable, one is a unique situation I think.

Melkor

I've eaten bannock (made using lard) on Friday. In my mind, it's more about the spirit of the law as opposed to the letter. I know a few Catholics who eat waterfowl on Friday, which strikes me as wrong.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Greg

Just avoid beans on Thursday.  Simples.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.