TLM near Washington Dulles airport?

Started by trentcath, May 28, 2022, 07:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trentcath

So I'll be attending a conference like thing of sorts in Virginia, near Dulles airport, for the next few weeks and was wondering if anyone knew where the nearest latin mass to that was. I'm guessing I'll have to troop into DC and googling furiously but thought I would ask on the off chance anyone here was local and knew something I don't  ;D

Elizabeth

SSPX Mission near Front Royal, an hour away but traffic shouldn't be hideous.  St Rita's 9:00 am in Alexandria.  Old St Mary's downtown, good luck parking, but it is still a holy place despite the new priest and all.

St. John the Beloved at noon, in McLean.

Maximilian

I highly recommend Fr. Ringrose' St. Athanasius, which will be the closest Latin Mass to the Dulles Airport region. The only problem is that it's so popular that you have to make sure you arrive early if you want to get a seat in a pew.

https://st-athanasius-roman-catholic-church-va.hub.biz/

St. Athanasius Roman Catholic Church
9201 Leesburg Pike
Vienna, VA 22182 - Fairfax County

(703) 759-4555

Elizabeth

I forgot all about St. Athanasius.  :doh:

My husband would not set foot in there again, and I agreed.   It's literally a straight shot from the airport or just about.

dymphnaw

You could try St. John the Beloved, or St. Louis or St. Rita. None is near Dulles but they aren't in DC.

Rock

FSSP in Baltimore just over an hour drive. Beautiful church.

Elizabeth

St. Alphonsus?  Did they go FSSP?  Anyway, it's gorgeous there.  They had the most beautiful Easter Vigil there I've ever worshipped in,with an ancient, holy Catholic Priest.

Stu Cool

Holy Trinity in Gainesville is where we go.  They have a 12:30 Sunday Mass and 7:30 am on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and a lot of times at 7:30 on Saturdays. They have had a couple of Pontifical High Masses with Bishop Schneider in recent years.  They also didn't enforce any mask mandates during COVID.  You are looking at similar time to drive to everything everyone suggested.  I've been to every place Elizabeth mentioned except St. Rita's.

Stu Cool

The Diocese of Arlington is unique in the country in that 21 of 70 parishes had a TLM at some point during the week.  The bishop is still figuring out Traditiones Custodes because of this.

PaxVobiscum

Quote from: dymphnaw on May 30, 2022, 11:48:12 AM
You could try St. John the Beloved, or St. Louis or St. Rita. None is near Dulles but they aren't in DC.

St. Louis doesn't have TLM, it has a latin novus ordo. St. Rita's has missa cantata on sundays and it has low TLM on tuesday and thursday nights at 7:30pm

Elizabeth

St. Rita's parking lot is awful, but it is much, much prettier than St. John's inside.

trentcath

In the end I went to the parish of St Mary Mother of God in DC as I was able to share a ride with some people from the event, amazing parish and great choir.

Elizabeth

Glad to hear it!
It won't be the same without dear old Fr. Alfred Harris, and a bunch of the DC Old Guard intellectuals and politicians..

Stu Cool

We used to go to old St. Mary's quite a bit (9 am Mass time was convenient) but they followed all the crazy DC COVID rukes.

Elizabeth

Rorate has an article about Old St. Mary's currently.( He did some good name-dropping.)   DC Catholic Churches are under enemy occupation, and have been for a long time.