Eastern Catholics and Fatima

Started by bedtimeprayers, April 10, 2022, 10:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedtimeprayers

Many on this sub take Fatima as 100% truth.
When I ask the novus ordo Catholics I know about any question I have about Fatima, they always respond with the disclaimer of "well it's not required."

since so many on here have such strong belief that it's true, I just have questions I need to settle in my mind. I want to believe it's true, so please answer these questions if you'd like with that in mind, knowing I'm just seeking the truth.

The message of Fatima is extremely Latin. It talks a lot about making "reparation," The blessed virgin holding back the hand of Christ, etc. this can all be translated into eastern terms.

But it also talks about Mary's immaculate heart, something Eastern Catholics only venerate sometimes because of western influence, and about the rosary, which again is only prayed due to western influence.

I understand that if Mary appears to people in the Latin church, she has to speak their language and use their popular devotions to encourage them to venerate her.
But here is my question.

Things like the first five saturdays, and just praying the rosary in general.

How are Eastern Catholics supposed to do this? Are they expected to pray the rosary if they've never done it before?
I could say, well the heart of the rosary is 150hail Mary's, so they can just do that.
But many trads believe the rosary basically came down from heaven with mysteries and everything,

I'm just wondering, what would trads suggest Eastern Catholics do?
Do you think they should pray the Latin rosary and venerate the immaculate heart?
Or can they just do the "spirit" of the Marian requests and pray 150 Hail Marys?

The question is important because so many on here seem to require the consecration to Russia have very precise and exact wording or else it's worthless.

So, how would trads respond to these questions?
Behold, the Handmaiden of the Lord, let it be done to me according to Thy Word.

Stanley

Many Eastern catholics pray the Rosary.

However, there is an Eastern devotion very similar to the Rosary, supposedly from a private revelation in the 8th century (before St. Dominic).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_the_Theotokos

The East has different versions of the Angelic salutation, too.

nmoerbeek

Quote from: bedtimeprayers on April 10, 2022, 10:55:29 PM
Many on this sub take Fatima as 100% truth.
When I ask the novus ordo Catholics I know about any question I have about Fatima, they always respond with the disclaimer of "well it's not required."

since so many on here have such strong belief that it's true, I just have questions I need to settle in my mind. I want to believe it's true, so please answer these questions if you'd like with that in mind, knowing I'm just seeking the truth.

The message of Fatima is extremely Latin. It talks a lot about making "reparation," The blessed virgin holding back the hand of Christ, etc. this can all be translated into eastern terms.

But it also talks about Mary's immaculate heart, something Eastern Catholics only venerate sometimes because of western influence, and about the rosary, which again is only prayed due to western influence.

I understand that if Mary appears to people in the Latin church, she has to speak their language and use their popular devotions to encourage them to venerate her.
But here is my question.

Things like the first five saturdays, and just praying the rosary in general.

How are Eastern Catholics supposed to do this? Are they expected to pray the rosary if they've never done it before?
I could say, well the heart of the rosary is 150hail Mary's, so they can just do that.
But many trads believe the rosary basically came down from heaven with mysteries and everything,

Do you think they should pray the Latin rosary and venerate the immaculate heart?
Or can they just do the "spirit" of the Marian requests and pray 150 Hail Marys?

The question is important because so many on here seem to require the consecration to Russia have very precise and exact wording or else it's worthless.

So, how would trads respond to these questions?

The Rosary is a devotion found both in the East and the West.  We know that Russian Monks where saying the prayer Rule of the Theotokos, almost identical to the Rosary as early as the 8th century.  The Rosary was very popular in the East, to the point that St. Seraphim of Sarov said a version of the Rosary himself, and recommend the devotion. 

People believe many things.  The more important thing about the Rosary is that: we need to do the work of prayer every day.  Using a prayer rope goes back to St. Pachomius who lived in 292.  St. Pachomius also received the rope from a vision.  The fact that St. Pachomius, St. Dominic and others have been told to teach others to pray a set number of prayers to help them coming from Heaven across centuries should get our attention.

I would suggest consistently doing prayers every morning and evening at the barest minimum, and picking prayers and techniques of prayer that are suited to you.  Some this will be the Office, others the Rosary, others a combination of both. If you feel a revulsion to the Rosary but love saying the Aktathist to the Mother of God, do that, if you feel an aversion to that, perhaps there is some devotion or aspect of Our Lady that you feel drawn to like the 7 sorrows.

I think all Catholics should feel the freedom to use each others devotions.  If you feel drawn or even compelled (because you desire to obtain the promises of those devotions) to use those devotions then listen to your conscience.

I think the spirit of the request is the heart of it.  This interview with Sister Lucia might be helpful to you:

Pointing out that we all need to pray every day, Lucia says that God asks us for "a prayer which is within our reach: the Rosary, which can be recited either in common or in private, either in church in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament or at home, either when traveling or while walking quietly in the fields," she explains. "A mother of a family can say the Rosary while she rocks her baby's cradle or does the house work. Our day has 24 hours in it. It is not asking a great deal to set aside a quarter of an hour for the spiritual life, for our intimate and familiar converse with God."

More here:
https://www.ncregister.com/blog/fatima-s-sister-lucia-explains-why-the-daily-rosary-is-a-must
"Let me, however, beg of Your Beatitude...
not to think so much of what I have written, as of my good and kind intentions. Please look for the truths of which I speak rather than for beauty of expression. Where I do not come up to your expectations, pardon me, and put my shortcomings down, please, to lack of time and stress of business." St. Bonaventure, From the Preface of Holiness of Life.

Apostolate:
http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/
Contributor:
http://unamsanctamcatholicam.blogspot.com/
Lay Association:
http://www.militiatempli.net/

aquinas138

I used to attend a Byzantine Catholic parish; many people said the Rosary and many were explicit believers in Fatima.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

drummerboy

http://www.carmeliteconversations.com/e/may-23-2016-%E2%80%93-%E2%80%9Cthe-marian-devotion-of-st-teresa-of-avila%E2%80%9D/

It seems Our Lady Herself may have answered your question.  Listen from 4:45 to 10:30. Fascinating info regarding Lourdes
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

drummerboy

This friar corrects some inaccuracies in the first talk I posted, and also emphasizes the Lourdes connection
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne