A Freemason Bible - Oh What to Do

Started by aseeker, March 24, 2022, 10:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aseeker

I recently came into possession of a freemason Bible. It is clearly marked with freemason symbols, and I am unsure what to do with it. I could sell it or give it away, but I do not want to promote this organization to anyone.

Thanks for the suggestions!  8)

Kaesekopf

Quote from: aseeker on March 24, 2022, 10:30:10 AM
I recently came into possession of a freemason Bible. It is clearly marked with freemason symbols, and I am unsure what to do with it. I could sell it or give it away, but I do not want to promote this organization to anyone.

Thanks for the suggestions!  8)

Burn it.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Justin Martyr

Burn it or bury it. The Holy Bible is a sacred object, and when a sacred object is profaned it is supposed to be burned or buried. This applies to non-catholic translations which twist the text to support false teachings as well.
The least departure from Tradition leads to a scorning of every dogma of the Faith.
St. Photios the Great, Encyclical to the Eastern Patriarchs

CANON I: As for all persons who dare to violate the definition of the holy and great Synod convened in Nicaea in the presence of Eusebeia, the consort of the most God-beloved Emperor Constantine, concerning the holy festival of the soterial Pascha, we decree that they be excluded from Communion and be outcasts from the Church if they persist more captiously in objecting to the decisions that have been made as most fitting in regard thereto; and let these things be said with reference to laymen. But if any of the person occupying prominent positions in the Church, such as a Bishop, or a Presbyter, or a Deacon, after the adoption of this definition, should dare to insist upon having his own way, to the perversion of the laity, and to the disturbance of the church, and upon celebrating Pascha along with the Jews, the holy Synod has hence judged that person to be an alien to the Church, on the ground that he has not only become guilty of sin by himself, but has also been the cause of corruption and perversion among the multitude. Accordingly, it not only deposes such persons from the liturgy, but also those who dare to commune with them after their deposition. Moreover, those who have been deposed are to be deprived of the external honor too of which the holy Canon and God's priesthood have partaken.
The Council of Antioch 341, recieved by the Council of Chalcedon

Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

aseeker

I was thinking about burning it, but I don't know what Cannon Law states about disposing of such things.

Prayerful

The Freemasons use a KJV with their symbols. I certainly would not burn even if its translation be tendentious and it might have Masonic commentary. One wouldn't burn Francis even though every word from him is Masonic. I would just leave it somewhere secure, perhaps in a safe. I would avoid effacing anything with the Holy Name on it.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Justin Martyr

Quote from: aseeker on March 24, 2022, 11:29:53 AM
I was thinking about burning it, but I don't know what Cannon Law states about disposing of such things.

Canon Law prescribes no particular method of disposing of Sacramentals and Sacred Objects; the tradition in such matters is to bury or burn Sacramentals and Sacred Objects if they've been profaned.

The only relevant canon I can think of is:
Can. 825 ยง1. Books of the sacred scriptures cannot be published unless the Apostolic See or the conference of bishops has approved them. For the publication of their translations into the vernacular, it is also required that they be approved by the same authority and provided with necessary and sufficient annotations
The least departure from Tradition leads to a scorning of every dogma of the Faith.

CANON I: As for all persons who dare to violate the definition of the holy and great Synod convened in Nicaea in the presence of Eusebeia, the consort of the most God-beloved Emperor Constantine, concerning the holy festival of the soterial Pascha, we decree that they be excluded from Communion and be outcasts from the Church if they persist more captiously in objecting to the decisions that have been made as most fitting in regard thereto; and let these things be said with reference to laymen. But if any of the person occupying prominent positions in the Church, such as a Bishop, or a Presbyter, or a Deacon, after the adoption of this definition, should dare to insist upon having his own way, to the perversion of the laity, and to the disturbance of the church, and upon celebrating Pascha along with the Jews, the holy Synod has hence judged that person to be an alien to the Church, on the ground that he has not only become guilty of sin by himself, but has also been the cause of corruption and perversion among the multitude. Accordingly, it not only deposes such persons from the liturgy, but also those who dare to commune with them after their deposition. Moreover, those who have been deposed are to be deprived of the external honor too of which the holy Canon and God's priesthood have partaken.

Justin Martyr

Quote from: Prayerful on March 24, 2022, 11:35:00 AM
The Freemasons use a KJV with their symbols. I certainly would not burn even if its translation be tendentious and it might have Masonic commentary. One wouldn't burn Francis even though every word from him is Masonic. I would just leave it somewhere secure, perhaps in a safe. I would avoid effacing anything with the Holy Name on it.

The Church historically has burned profane translations of the Holy Writ. The Catechism of St. Pius X, written back when the Index Librorum Prohibitum was still in force, states the following:

Quote870. (29) May any translation of the Bible, in the vernacular, be read?

A. We can read those translations of the Bible in the vernacular which have been acknowledged as faithful by the Catholic Church and which have explanations also approved by the Church.

871. (30) Why may we only read translations of the Bible approved by the Church?

A. We may only read translations of the Bible approved by the Church because she alone is the lawful guardian of the Bible.

872. (31) Through which means can we know the true meaning of the Holy Scripture?

A. We can only know the true meaning of Holy Scripture through the Church's interpretation, because she alone is secure against error in that interpretation.

873. (32) What should a Christian do who has been given a Bible by a Protestant or by an agent of the Protestants?

A. A Christian to whom a Bible has been offered by a Protestant or an agent of the Protestants should reject it with disgust, because it is forbidden by the Church. If it was accepted by inadvertence, it must be burnt as soon as possible or handed in to the Parish Priest.

874. (33) Why does the Church forbid Protestant Bibles?

A. The Church forbids Protestant Bibles because, either they have been altered and contain errors, or not having her approbation and footnotes explaining the obscure meanings, they may be harmful to the Faith. It is for that same reason that the Church even forbids translations of the Holy Scriptures already approved by her which have been reprinted without the footnotes approved by her.

Even if not required by Canon Law at present to proceed as the Saintly Pontiff recommends, it is still the traditional and principled response to profanations of God's word.

aseeker

Justin,

Thanks so much for the references, now I feel like I have a bit more direction in how to proceed.

Justin Martyr

Quote from: aseeker on March 24, 2022, 01:10:10 PM
Justin,

Thanks so much for the references, now I feel like I have a bit more direction in how to proceed.

No problem. Before I converted, I had a alot of old (KJV, 1611 KJV Fascimile, 1560 Geneva Fascimile) protestant bibles and books from my "generic christian" and then later Calvinist days. I've already had to go through this whole process in regard figuring out what to do with such books, which helps when topics like this come up.