Traditional Catholics who claim to be Feminists

Started by TerrorDæmonum, January 02, 2013, 07:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TerrorDæmonum

That is like me claiming to be Protestant because I protest something.

If a word needs to be overly qualified to the extent it may contradict the original meaning, then maybe that is not the right word to use.

Quote from: WikipediaFeminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist is "an advocate or supporter of the rights and equality of women".

It is a broad word, but a modern "collection", and using the word takes on ALL that baggage, at least, all the baggage one movement may have. People are quick to make their own "brand" of Feminism, but really, the basis for it is either not worthy of its own word, or, it is actually influenced by what is uniquely Feminist.

The Church teachings on morality, salvation, and the Sacraments include women and men fully, as human beings.

erin is nice

See, I knew you had an ax to grind.

Redacted for charity. Please refrain from personal attacks. -Penelope

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: erin is nice on January 02, 2013, 09:28:22 PM
See, I knew you had an ax to grind.

Redacted for charity. Please refrain from personal attacks. -Penelope

I came to this forum for rational, Catholic, social interaction.

I did not come here for contention and posturing.

I made my sig as a reminder to myself and all of good advice.

Vetus Ordo

You were just baiting Erin, Rosarium.

At least admit it.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Mithrandylan

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 03, 2013, 05:57:30 AM

At least admit it.

This is what I agree with.  everyone go back to their FE name.  Evangelium gratium, Bonaventure, Louis IX (or was it XVI?) Paeniteo... who can keep who straight?  Vetus Ordo, Mithrandylan, tmw89... that's the way God meant it to be. 
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Lusitanus on January 03, 2013, 05:57:30 AM
No, I was not, and my forum name is what it is here, not what it is elsewhere. If you would like a list of user names I have in current use on various forums, I can give them to you to show you folly of attempting to use other account ids.

I am not that personal. I know some people make everything personal, but I am not like that.

At least admit it.
I would not lie.

I made this thread inspired by something she and other wrote on another thread, but I, using what is generally considered to be good forum practice, made a new thread for a distinct new topic. I could have just written it on that thread, but the "feminist" label issue was a big enough topic and one I see Catholics encounter in this manner with some frequency.

The point of this thread was not to invite personal abuse, crude language, or other such responses, but to share a thought on a matter which may cause issues. I was hoping for an explanation, consideration, or just no response at all.

That one stooped to making hateful remarks based on a developmental disorder shared by several on this forum is very disturbing.

And I also find it troubling that others would so quickly assume another's motives are as base as one's own. I do not come here to insult people using information I think I have about them.

If one cannot try to be rational and respectful in discourse, than one is a common scold, and has no claim to the label "traditional Catholic" unless reform is attempted.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Mithrandylan on January 03, 2013, 08:21:23 AM

At least admit it.

This is what I agree with.  everyone go back to their FE name.  Evangelium gratium, Bonaventure, Louis IX (or was it XVI?) Paeniteo... who can keep who straight?  Vetus Ordo, Mithrandylan, tmw89... that's the way God meant it to be.

I had four (I think) FE user names, each reflecting a mindset and intention of the time.

This is a new forum, each discussion is its own discussion. If we are just here to be personable and transfer social patterns from another forum, what use is it?

Is this Fisheaters Forums or a traditional Catholic forum?

Kaesekopf

I hope it is Suscipe Domine traditional Catholic forum.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 03, 2013, 08:40:44 AM

That statement was making a distinction between the genus of "traditional Catholic forum" and "not traditional Catholic forum", using equivocation.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 03, 2013, 08:47:35 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 03, 2013, 08:40:44 AM

That statement was making a distinction between the genus of "traditional Catholic forum" and "not traditional Catholic forum", using equivocation.

My bad.

I just hope/want SD to stand on its own merits.  :)
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 03, 2013, 08:51:59 AM
I just hope/want SD to stand on its own merits.  :)

So do I.

And I want those merits to be Catholic, not mere irrational social tendencies.

Holding ourselves to be rational and virtuous as an ideal (if not in practice all the time) would be a good foundation. Seeking contention and personal disputes and alliances is not a good thing.

It has been a long time since I said I learned something on a forum, which I have here, and I hope it is something which continues.

If however personal insults, disputes, and respect of persons rules the atmosphere, then there is nothing to new to learn.

erin is nice

At least admit it.

He'll never admit it, but it was so obvious. He should have been more subtle. Maybe he can't be subtle, because he's a robot.

TerrorDæmonum

Quote from: erin is nice on January 03, 2013, 08:55:25 AM

At least admit it.

He'll never admit it, but it was so obvious. He should have been more subtle. Maybe he can't be subtle, because he's a robot.

If an attempt at discussion of something was seen as "baiting", then I am not sure how you view yourself.

Are you a fish or a human?

And if you want a personal observation, I see you joined here, made grossly irrational statements, made multiple personal attacks against people who think you know from other forums, and made statements which are not fitting for traditional Catholics.

Example of gratuitous insult to others attempting to discuss a topic: http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=296.msg3502#msg3502

And if you think I am a robot, I hope it is because of me, not because of anything I share with others. Since you used abusive language in reference to a developmental disorder earlier, I doubt it. But there are bigger issues here than your hate.

Maybe you think I am a robot because I express myself differently and follow patterns of thought. To let you know, those patterns, in general, are known as "logic". You do not see me making statements, then contradicting those statements soon after.

Example of lack of logic:

Quote from: Pæniteo on January 02, 2013, 07:34:31 PM
Quote from: erin is nice on January 01, 2013, 11:03:06 PM
If someone states that she doesn't find a particular attribute attractive, why do you take it as a personal offense?

When I hear things like "I don't like skinny/brunette/etc women" I don't see it as an insult, it's just personal preference.

Quote from: erin is nice on January 02, 2013, 03:43:50 PM
Yes I find the word fat offensive, unless it's describing a baby. I teach my children not to call people fat, so why would I say it myself?

Quote from: erin is nice on January 02, 2013, 04:02:14 PM
I most certainly do have feminist sensibilities. It's not an insult!

Quote from: erin is nice on January 02, 2013, 04:46:15 PM
If you mean being for equality and against objectification, against oppressive double standards, and against narrow definitions of "femininity"etc, then yes.

If you mean being pro-abortion, no.

So, only oppressive double standards, not "feminist double standards"?

I am not going go go through your words I quoted here, but I think it is worth considering.

That this thread is not baiting and attempt at discussion is here:
Interesting - how is a Trad to reconcile the (as far as I know) novel concept of the "equality" of the sexes with the traditional understanding of their complementarity?  Or am I reading too far beyond a simple equality in value of life?

...apologies for turning into the Inquisition, but I am genuinely curious as to how one reconciles those concepts.

Another was genuinely curious as to how one reconciles that claim with being traditional Catholic and I made a thread to get things started.

And this:
Quote from: erin is nice on January 02, 2013, 07:44:17 PM
Now that I know who you are, "Paeniteo", I am not going to bother with you.

But you will respond to what you think is "baiting" with abusive language and refuse to discuss the topic after this.

TerrorDæmonum

That is more "robot" than name calling, but hopefully I hope the reasoning I used and the actual citations I gave are enough to help forestall hateful personal attacks which require no thought.

If you want to discuss the topic, it is something which I am interested to hear, and others are too.

However, if discussing it means adopting "Feminist Science" and "Feminist Logic", then that is not something traditional Catholics are prepared to do.

erin is nice

I explained how I reconcile feminism with traditional Catholicism to the person who asked about it.

I will not explain anything to you, since you do the same things to me as you do to Doc Bombay and others. You get obsessed with finding supposed contradictions and inconsistencies, and with following particular individuals all over forums.